Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: Psychedelic Space & Spirituality [Re: thestringphish]
    #1481046 - 04/22/03 12:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Psychedelics can only improve your life and spirituality if you make a consciouss desision to apply the leasons learned from you trips to your daily life. The Psychedelics can olny show you the way, but from there it's up to you. Much like the old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". It's just sad that many people don't make that commitment to better themselves.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Psychedelic Space & Spirituality [Re: Swami]
    #1481097 - 04/22/03 12:33 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I feel that "spiritual growth" is obtained through action as well as thought.... You can shroom and think and realize and contemplate and make as many connections as you want, but unless you get out of bed and actually DO SOMETHING, nothing will change externally, which can lead to internal trauma.

When I first got into mushrooms I realized tons of connections between the various recordings my brain has made; fractalesque connections that weren't previously clear. I was spending so much time thinking and organizing my brain in the following few years that I basically forgot I had a body that I needed to ensure the security of for at least a few decades more so that I could continue the contemplation of this existence until my human experience is over. My thought-patterns had gotten so upscaled (cosmic/evolutionary/societal-type contemplaction; stuff thats really out of my control) that I had lost focus of myself and my specific present and future situations.

It certainly felt "spiritual," but looking back I see what you're talking about Swami :smile: The psychedelic experience may be a way of helping you open various "spiritual doors" in your life, but you still have to physically get up and walk through them.

Edit (Addition): Here's a quote from Waking Life (I HIGH-ly recommend it):
"The trick is to combine your waking, rational abilities with the infinite possibilities of your dreams"
- Guy Forsythe

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
Infinite Possibilities
(end edit)

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (04/22/03 01:25 AM)

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: Psychedelic Space & Spirituality [Re: Shroomism]
    #1481148 - 04/22/03 12:49 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Spiritual growth to me, comes from hard challenges and life lessons.
My definition of spirituality would be simply the awareness of spirit and not just body.

I get the most spiritual growth from bad situations, if I choose to use them as a learning tool.

i feel the same way.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1483218 - 04/22/03 05:02 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ego loss/becoming one with the universe is great, but it can't help you too much while sober and functioning whithin society imo. You still have to trudge thru the shit others make you trudge thru.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1483394 - 04/22/03 05:48 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Psychedelics can only improve your life and spirituality if you make a consciouss desision to apply the leasons learned from you trips to your daily life.

This statement could apply to ANY life experience. So once again, how are psychedelics more spiritual?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1483470 - 04/22/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You guys are looking deeper that you need to to answer this question. All possiblity of godhead touching, satori, interdimensional purple bhudda cats whispering the secret of life in your ear, etc, aside, psychedelic drugs are definetely worth doing cause they're, well, a kick ass time.
As to the original question, if tripping is spiritual, I agree that there doesn't seem to be a direct link between tripping and becoming more spiritual, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the purple bhudda cat isn't real. Did seeing america make columbus native? does going to church make you spiritual? I think that shrooms probably can give a rational man living in an existential era experiential knowledge of g-d. or whatever you want to call the purple cat. But most people seem to ignore the cat, both in church and in trips.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Re: Psychedelic Space & Spirituality [Re: Malachi]
    #1484680 - 04/22/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Your asking the wrong question, Psychedelics are no more or less spiritual than anything in life. When i'm tripping, i see god/spirit/"purple cat/ or whatever you want to call it, i see divinity in everything, nothing is more or less spiritual than anything else because everything is equally full of divinity. The reason many consider psychedelics in particular to be spiritual is because they have a tendency to smack you upside the head and force you to see this divinity. Now you can suggest all day long that this may just be some kind of psycosomatic effect, that your telling yourself this should happen, so it does, but what about first time trippers who have no idea about this aspect? I know i didn't, i thought i was going to party my first trip. well, needless to say, i was very wrong, my first trip was on acid, and it sure as hell smacked me upside the head and forced me to see the divine, in a not entireley pleasent maner. Other things, a can of coke, a turkey sandwich, headonistic drugs, just don't do this, so it's easy for me to see why people would consider psycedelics divine. Even when i go to church, i expect a spiritual experience, do i get one? sometimes, but never in the same league as when taking psycedelics. I just can't belive that throughout history this happens over and over again by accident, the mind playing tricks on you or something, it just does'nt add up.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
    #1484746 - 04/22/03 11:35 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

They're not inherently - they're a tool which can be used to that end.
They do tend to incline people towards looking outside their own worldview - or at least try - as the acknowledgment that perceptions are not a set and steadfast thing is something that's extremely common with psychedelics. But still, a tool.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1484920 - 04/23/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Psychedelics can only improve your life...

Some people have grave psychological disturbances from these substances and actually lose quality of life.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

#1484961 - 04/23/03 12:29 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

this is very true.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag