Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sissy's Cooter, Alabama
whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination?
    #14802704 - 07/21/11 11:18 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Just wondering what would be (in your opinion) the most common mistake (other than simply not boiling the jars and wiping and spraying everything with disinfectant) a first timer makes during the beginning procedures of his grow that ends him up with most or maybe even all of his jars ruined? I know ther are posts that cover newbie mistakes, but im asking about contamination alone. I'm sure there will be a few different ones, and i'm interested to hear them all, since I will be attempting my first grow very soon. I dont want to be that guy...and alot of the info  and things iv'e read have been very confusing due to soo many abbreviations... So i hope to learn what to avoid doing now...thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #14802714 - 07/21/11 11:20 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Not following whatever Tek their using to a T. Sterilization is a huge thing in this hobby. Many people try to cut corners and in the end it only hurts them. It's as easy as most want to make it for themselves, as long as their willing to take the time and effort for success.

And finally. Study, study, study. Research your ass off and it will all pay off in the end. The search engine is a great thing.

--------------------

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

Loc: I'll be where I'm at
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: DynGBreeD]
    #14802722 - 07/21/11 11:22 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Dont drink and inoculate

Drunken mycology is no fun until you know what your doing

Invisiblethekev333

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: UnnamedGrower]
    #14802757 - 07/21/11 11:28 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Open air g2g anyone?  In bathroom of all places...yeahp....I did that once...haha

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: thekev333]
    #14802788 - 07/21/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

well, I will be doing all my stuff in my kitchen, and iv'e heard a kitchen sink has more germs than a toilet...so, thats my concern...the house im in only has two rooms, a kitchen and a small bathroom... wonder if I should have my mom come over and clean the shit outta my kitchen? (since women always clean better than men) guess I could have my girl do it, but moms does it better lol...No shit talkin either!! lol

OfflineBaSSidio Head
Pebble Wrestler
Male

Loc: Highcountry, NC
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: thekev333]
    #14802791 - 07/21/11 11:35 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

One of my friends got too stoned and didn't use gloves when innoculating. The part that really fucked him though was that it was in his kitchen next to a compost bag with a hefty trich colony :failboat:

--------------------

What's from the earth is of the greatest worth.:potleaf: :mushdance:
So before u knock it, try it first and you'll see it's a blessing and it's not a curse.

OfflineChez man
Mycofan
Male

Loc: Midwest
    #14802797 - 07/21/11 11:35 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thekev333 said:
Open air g2g anyone?  In bathroom of all places...yeahp....I did that once...haha

I would never do this, but you'll always find some maverick on here stating that he's done just that, and posting up all his pictures of success.

Don't do it.

--------------------
http://www.hedweb.com/hedab.htm

OfflineChez man
Mycofan
Male

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #14802809 - 07/21/11 11:37 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.FunGuy said:
guess I could have my girl do it, but moms does it better lol...

Hells yeah, mom's know how to do lots of things better :wink:

Edit: I've performed successful inoculations in the kitchen, but nowhere near the sink

--------------------

Edited by Chez man (07/21/11 11:38 AM)

OfflineBaSSidio Head
Pebble Wrestler
Male

Loc: Highcountry, NC
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Chez man]
    #14802813 - 07/21/11 11:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I always inoculate in my bathroom with no problems, but open air...hell no

--------------------

What's from the earth is of the greatest worth.:potleaf: :mushdance:
So before u knock it, try it first and you'll see it's a blessing and it's not a curse.

OfflineChez man
Mycofan
Male

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: BaSSidio Head]
    #14802822 - 07/21/11 11:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I prefer the bedroom with no carpet, over a bathroom or a kitchen.

--------------------

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: BaSSidio Head]
    #14802832 - 07/21/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Biggest mistake made by first time growers:

Telling anyone what you plan to do, or what you are doing.

The first rule of mushroom club.....is do not talk about mushrooms

Unless of course you are growing edibles.

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Chez man]
    #14802853 - 07/21/11 11:44 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chez man said:

Well that would work for me cuz my bedroom has no carpet, all wood floor, but I smoke tons of cigs and bud in there, I also fart alot,lol will that cause problems?

OfflineChez man
Mycofan
Male

#14802862 - 07/21/11 11:46 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.FunGuy said:
Quote:

Chez man said:

Well that would work for me cuz my bedroom has no carpet, all wood floor, but I smoke tons of cigs and bud in there, I also fart alot,lol will that cause problems?

Well, clean up the room, disinfectant and what not, and do your smoking and farting somewhere else, lolz.

--------------------

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

#14802905 - 07/21/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chez man said:
Quote:

Mr.FunGuy said:
Quote:

Chez man said:

Well, clean up the room, disinfectant and what not, and do your smoking and farting somewhere else, lolz.

HAHAHA, damn, it aint easy to clench your cheeks and run and stick your ass out the door!!!! BUT for shrooms, I'll do it!!:smile:

Invisiblebootster
Male User Gallery
    #14803121 - 07/21/11 12:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I did it in a bathroom where I forgot to remove the battery powered trashcan. I got too close to it and the lid opened all on its own,like "magic".  :facepalm3:

OfflineChez man
Mycofan
Male

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: bootster]
    #14803178 - 07/21/11 12:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bootster said:
I did it in a bathroom where I forgot to remove the battery powered trashcan. I got too close to it and the lid opened all on its own,like "magic".  :facepalm3:

For real a battery powered trash can?

Yup guess you're right:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/300571475272?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

How does it know to open? Proximity sensor right?

I'm thinking these would be perfect for mycology....a waste container you don't have to touch!

--------------------

Edited by Chez man (07/21/11 01:02 PM)

Offlinenixon
Funguy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Psych-ward Flag
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: UnnamedGrower]
    #14803213 - 07/21/11 01:07 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

UnnamedGrower said:
Dont drink and inoculate

Drunken mycology is no fun until you know what your doing

:lolsy:

--------------------
masspan said:
in your 2nd pic that mushroom is actively standing on its head for sure

nearhorn said:
what does that mean? its active?

Offlinenixon
Funguy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Psych-ward Flag
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #14803225 - 07/21/11 01:09 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

EvilMushroom666 said:

I can think most of us have made that mistake at least once, no?

--------------------
masspan said:
in your 2nd pic that mushroom is actively standing on its head for sure

nearhorn said:
what does that mean? its active?

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: nixon]
    #14803235 - 07/21/11 01:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

And I am sure a fair amount of them are sitting in jail, prison, going
through court battles because a friend/relative/spouse/buddy etc ratted
them out or spread the word to others.

Loose lips sink ships.

Invisiblebootster
Male User Gallery
    #14803401 - 07/21/11 01:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chez man said:
Quote:

bootster said:

For real a battery powered trash can?

Yup guess you're right:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/300571475272?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

How does it know to open? Proximity sensor right?

I'm thinking these would be perfect for mycology....a waste container you don't have to touch!

It has a blinking light on the top that when you move something over it,it opens (proximity). The downside is it moves air every time it opens. I think of it as a "contaminate belch-er".

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: bootster]
    #14803926 - 07/21/11 03:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The thing I dont get is why they make it look soo easy in the video (PF tek video) But when you go to attempt it, and even follow the instructions to a tee (as much as you can from what they show you), you still get rampant contamination. IDK, I'm obviously not speaking from experience, since Im the 1st timer asking the thread question, but Iv'e read alot of "first grow" threads, and 90% of them ended up losing at least half of their jars, if not more...I am REALLY trying to avoid that and not be them!!! Thoughts,,,??

Invisiblegrainbrain
Tribalistic

#14803935 - 07/21/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you follow the tek precisely, you will not end up with contamination - unless you had a bad syringe to begin with.

Most people fail in the BRF/Grain sterilization process, imho.

--------------------
Stop cold shocking your mycelium!
Hot Spawn - Get It On

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

Loc: I'll be where I'm at
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: grainbrain]
    #14803954 - 07/21/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:shrug:
Follow the tek like it has been stated this isnt rocket science.  I didnt get a contam for the first 8 months that I grew.  Be careful, be sterile, use a glove box and a pressure cooker

Invisiblebootster
Male User Gallery
    #14824185 - 07/25/11 07:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I forgot about this one. This was my first time using a syringe and thought I had everything figured out.

I didn't have a stopper in my sink in the bathroom. I set a syringe plug on the side of it and went about my business. I ended up knocking the plug down the drain into the "P" trap. I never had searched about what to do with the syringe when I was done with it. I closed the glove box and went to the search engine.

I learned that if I left the needle on the syringe and put it back in the fridge,it could suck in contaminated air and I certainly didn't want that. I fished the plug out of the "P" trap,dropped it in a thimble of alcohol,and placed it on the end of the syringe. :thumbdown:

That was the end of that syringe,nothing but green ever came out of it again. I have learned a new respect for sterility and sanitary procedures.

OfflineOMGitsBigCheeze
Grandmaster cat petter
Male

Loc: PNW
    #14824318 - 07/25/11 07:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I got a electric all american autoclave, an alcohol lamp, some latex gloves, and a flowhood from fungi perfecti, that pretty much solved everything.

--------------------
"Fuck that Morpheus, I'm takin em both!"                                                     
                                -Cheeze

Offlinemnunes810
 User Gallery

Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: OMGitsBigCheeze]
    #14824589 - 07/25/11 08:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

anyone ever done it outside?

OfflineRush
Stranger
Male
Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #14825026 - 07/25/11 10:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

EvilMushroom666 said:

Haha, this, because when you fail due to rampant contamination no one will be disappointed that there will be no mushies :bigjoint:

OfflineHakim0777
aka RACKBONE!!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Flag
Re: whats the biggest mistake made by a first time grower that causes contamination? [Re: Rush]
    #14825286 - 07/25/11 11:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

opening up moldy jars and contaminating the shit out of your grow area. Introducing trich to your area is a BITCH to deal with.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds