Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebbbnnm
Mushroom Peasant
ID please! SW Ohio
    #1479937 - 04/21/03 06:32 PM (21 years, 7 hours ago)

Hey everyone, new user here. I was out playing golf at my college here and came across a couple patches of mushrooms. They were growing in tall grass in a field, but not a pasture, and in very close together patches. The caps are conical, bell-shaped, and very striated. The very top of the caps are a darker cinnamon brown fading to a lighter brown down the cap, with the edges of the caps fading to whitish. The stems are white and have not blued upon handling them thus far. The gills are close together and a light grayish when young and turning dark black when mature. The spore print was jet black. Sorry I don't have a camera, poor college student here. I hope it is enough to make some sort of identification, thanks a lot everyone!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID please! SW Ohio [Re: bbbnnm]
    #1480036 - 04/21/03 06:55 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

sounds like mabey Coprinaceae family. need more details and/or pictures to get a better idea.

if you can't get ahold of a camera, you can use a scanner to get soem images.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: ID please! SW Ohio [Re: canid]
    #1480072 - 04/21/03 07:04 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

Most hallucinogenic mushrooms go blue pretty quickly after handling; you wouldn't have to wait very long. (Mind you, there's poisonous boletus that go blue too - they have sponges under the cap instead of gills).

Coprinaceae are not hallucinogenic, by the way.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID please! SW Ohio [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1480082 - 04/21/03 07:07 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

excuse me? are you forgeting that the genera Coplandia and Panaeolous are both within the Coprinaceae family?

[note: any hint of rudeness is merely symptomatic of this 24 hour asshole bug i seem to have.]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (04/21/03 07:12 PM)

Invisiblebbbnnm
Mushroom Peasant
    #1480090 - 04/21/03 07:10 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

Forgot about the scanner! See if these help ya.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1480103 - 04/21/03 07:14 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

looks like a Coprinus species to me based on the thin flesh, the serations at the margin, and the way the spore deposite looks darker at the margin but i am no athority, wait for someone who knows better.
i can tell you it's not any active species i know of.

--------------------

Edited by concretefeet (04/21/03 07:18 PM)

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1480122 - 04/21/03 07:20 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

did they look like the ones in my avator?

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisiblebbbnnm
Mushroom Peasant
Re: ID please! SW Ohio [Re: Psychoslut]
    #1480124 - 04/21/03 07:22 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

They are similar, but these stems are thinner. And i just got a spore print, it is very deep black.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1480164 - 04/21/03 07:38 PM (21 years, 6 hours ago)

Psycho: those in your avatar are C. micaceus (so named for the mica like granules present on the pilei, wich are often no longer present at the time of finding.). they live on decaying wood. they often appear to be growing from the grass, but only when burried wood is present below.

i suppose this may be the case. the determining factor could be for hiddenmush to find some posessing these granules.

i, myself, think that they are another species, esp. due to those thin stipes.

--------------------

Invisiblebbbnnm
Mushroom Peasant
    #1480208 - 04/21/03 07:59 PM (21 years, 5 hours ago)

I have seen some more very young shrooms growing right around where i picked those shrooms. I have never noticed anything like a granule at all. Also, I am pretty certain there is no decaying wood anywhere near where I picked them. They were in a wide open grassy field, right next to a concrete sidewalk where a ton of people walk everyday. Very strange place for shrooms to grow I'd say! Hope it helps.

Invisiblebbbnnm
Mushroom Peasant
    #1480580 - 04/21/03 10:01 PM (21 years, 3 hours ago)

BTW, here is the spore print from my mushrooms. Very dark as you can see. So does anyone have a positive ID? Active or no?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1480611 - 04/21/03 10:09 PM (21 years, 3 hours ago)

that print is black as black. i'm rather sure it's a Coprinus. still can't tell you the species.
it's not active.

on a whole, Coprinus species are edible, though many will cause rather unpleasant effects if consumed within several days of any alcohol.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1480741 - 04/21/03 10:45 PM (21 years, 2 hours ago)

You're correct that there are many edible Coprinus species, some are very good. There are also several species which should not be eaten.

Coprinus atramentarius is a mediocre edible which will cause poisoning if alcohol is consumed within the 3 or so days after eating them.

The species which are similar to Coprinus picaceus often cause gastric upsets and should be avoided. These typically have a mottled cap (common names usually involve the name "magpie"), so they aren't too hard to identify.

In general, if you want to eat Coprinus, you should probably limit yourself to Coprinus micaceus and Coprinus comatus, both of which are reasonably good edibles and easy to identify. Coprinus atramentarius is recommended by some authors, but be sure you're not going to have any alcohol within several days (before or after).

Note also that all the edible species of Coprinus are basically inedible once the gills change from white.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder