Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
American Ego
    #1475302 - 04/20/03 12:24 AM (21 years, 2 days ago)

The Soviet empire has imploded, the Japanese miracle is no longer a threat ? even the Vietnam wobble is almost forgotten. America is the undisputed superpower, its warships cruising the world, its techno-scientific achievements leaping from triumph to triumph. As author Don DeLillo put it, American culture penetrates ?every wall, home, life and mind? on the planet.

But all is not what it seems.

September 11 has revealed a vulnerable nation. Like a bully in a bar who just got a bloody nose, America is blustering, it?s posturing, it?s overreacting; it?s wobbling again. Witness the way George Bush mocks his enemies and revels in his $1-billion-a-day victory over one of the weakest nations on earth. Witness how fanatically determined he is to whip Saddam?s ass, no matter what the cost. John le Carr? summed it up nicely: ?America has entered one of its periods of historical madness . . . worse than McCarthyism, worse than the Bay of Pigs and in the long term potentially more disastrous than the Vietnam war.?

After World War II, America?s talk of freedom and dignity inspired the world. Since then its moral fiber has gradually eroded ? it has grown decadent and devolved into a brand. America? is a corporate-run, hollow nation in a constant crisis of depression, crime, obesity and excess. It no longer has the guts to take on an enemy in face to face combat ? it likes to ?win? its wars from 40,000 feet, and only if the people back home can keep shopping and sipping soda while the bombs fall in their name.

The war against Iraq is not really about democracy, regime change or even national security. It?s mostly about control over Iraq?s vast oil resources. America?s oil-guzzling way of life demands a steady supply of cheap oil. Increase the price to $50 a barrel and Americans would be pulling guns on each other in the gas stations, as they did during the 1973 oil embargo. Like Marlboro, McDonald?s and Nike, the whole of Brand America is now in danger of losing its shine. Taking on Saddam and controlling the price of oil worldwide is one way to save the national brand, and, of course, all the myriad sub-brands that feed beneath it.

It?s an old story ? the well-worn path of history. Rather than adjusting and accommodating and being fleet of foot, declining superpowers try to cement their slipping preeminence into an exploitative system; they try to turn their Autumn into a new Spring. Rome did it, the Brits did it, and now America is following suit. Maybe that?s the way it has to be. It?s almost impossible to imagine the US coming to terms with a less exalted place in the world ? the American ego could not handle it, the American consumer would not put up with it and America?s ruling elite would never allow it. The American way of life is not negotiable.

In every good Hollywood flick from High Noon to Star Wars, the hero always triumphs over the bad guys in the closing scene. We all love to watch this mythical struggle between good and evil. It lifts our spirits and helps us make sense of the world.

But this movie we?re now watching on the nightly news may have a surprise ending that leaves Osama bin Laden roaring with laughter. And when the lights go on and the dust has settled, we the six billion people who were out of the power loop, who lived complacently in America?s shadow, will have to come up with system-level solutions to the geo-eco-politico-military mess left behind by American hegemony.

:wink:- Kalle Lasn

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: American Ego [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1476354 - 04/20/03 11:30 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

YAWN...

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineTheCaptain
addict

Loc: Canada
Re: American Ego [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1476376 - 04/20/03 11:47 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

YAWN...

Now theres an intelligent man! Great insight...

Anyway...

Thats an interesting article, i mean some of the language is a bit too charged, but it certainly has an interesting point to make.

Quote:

It’s an old story – the well-worn path of history. Rather than adjusting and accommodating and being fleet of foot, declining superpowers try to cement their slipping preeminence into an exploitative system; they try to turn their Autumn into a new Spring. Rome did it, the Brits did it, and now America is following suit. Maybe that’s the way it has to be. It’s almost impossible to imagine the US coming to terms with a less exalted place in the world

The problem with the situation at hand is that were increasing control over an area of the world that has reacted violently at our presence in the past. And, as history has shown- people do not like to live under some one else's rule. We try to get more control, and they will just rebell more eventually. It is a downward spiral from here on out...

--------------------
"I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are."

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: American Ego [Re: TheCaptain]
    #1476539 - 04/20/03 01:34 PM (21 years, 1 day ago)

to true

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1477230 - 04/20/03 07:17 PM (21 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Now theres an intelligent man! Great insight...

thanks....yawn.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
    #1477376 - 04/20/03 08:14 PM (21 years, 1 day ago)

You must have missed Arlington Road.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: American Ego [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1478137 - 04/21/03 01:36 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

USA-The last empire?

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: American Ego [Re: carbonhoots]
    #1478743 - 04/21/03 10:37 AM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

Hardly. History teaches that empires fall and new ones arise. Watch out for the Chinese empire after ours is gone.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: American Ego [Re: silversoul7]
    #1478749 - 04/21/03 10:40 AM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

What estimate do you guys give for the fall of the United States as an "empire"?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1478768 - 04/21/03 10:51 AM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

Hard to say, but since Rome fell to barbarians, I could see terrorists bringing down the American empire within the next 20 years or so. Tho I think it's more likely that our empire will crumble from within.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineTheCaptain
addict

#1478771 - 04/21/03 10:51 AM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

That all depends....

What kind of a "fall" are we thinking of?
Internal?
Loss of power internationally?
Economic failure?

I can think of some scenarios where oil crumbles as our economic foundation. but what then? Will we have a suitable replacement?
On an international scale, recent dissent is increasing- but it could only be temporary.
As far as internal pressures, I personally cant see anything that would collapse an empire, but i could be wrong.

its too hard to say really, i mean there are so many factors...

--------------------
"I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are."

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1478781 - 04/21/03 10:54 AM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

the barbarians took advantage of a "weakened" Rome that was spread out to thin. 20 years? NO WAY. I'm sorry to say it but i predict (having no way of knowing if i'm right) that the American "Empire" will be around for hundreds of years (we've only been a power since WW2). And when this empire does collapse i don't believe it will collapse like rome. I believe it will melt into a global community rather then lose power..but my crystal ball is a bit fuzzy after that.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1478792 - 04/21/03 11:01 AM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

What kind of a "fall" are we thinking of?
Internal?
Loss of power internationally?
Economic failure?

Economic Failure would cause internal failure and loss of power internationally.

Quote:

I can think of some scenarios where oil crumbles as our economic foundation. but what then? Will we have a suitable replacement?

America has a funny way of adapting. If the oil were eliminated or slowed, the american private and public sector would invent an alternative. it's already in the making. We have synthetic oils, hydrogen power, electric, hybrids and various other ways of creating energy.

Quote:

On an international scale, recent dissent is increasing- but it could only be temporary.

It will be temporary. I don't think the dissent is as high as those on this site make it out to be. This site, with it's average ideology is in the minority. (that's not saying it's boring mind you.)

Quote:

As far as internal pressures, I personally cant see anything that would collapse an empire, but i could be wrong.

i have to agree with you there. If we over extend ourselves maybe.

Quote:

its too hard to say really, i mean there are so many factors...

that was the point i was trying to make.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #1478884 - 04/21/03 11:50 AM (21 years, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

History teaches that empires fall and new ones arise.

Civilisations rise and fall. If or when 'civilisation' (and I use that word loosely) as we know it falls I have concerns about anything rising from the ashes.

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

OfflineTheCaptain
addict

#1478949 - 04/21/03 12:15 PM (21 years, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

Economic Failure would cause internal failure and loss of power internationally.

This is quite true... however i was thinking more along the lines of major catalyst factors when listing them.

Quote:

America has a funny way of adapting. If the oil were eliminated or slowed, the american private and public sector would invent an alternative. it's already in the making. We have synthetic oils, hydrogen power, electric, hybrids and various other ways of creating energy.

My thoughts exactly. In order for this to be a major factor there would have to be an immediate of very fast transition from oil rich to poor. Thus precipitating all the other shit falling down on our heads...

Quote:

It will be temporary. I don't think the dissent is as high as those on this site make it out to be. This site, with it's average ideology is in the minority. (that's not saying it's boring mind you.)

I would choose to disagree with you on this point, but only in specifics. What i mean by that is within a population there are those that are affected by dissent more so than others. While that dissent may be high among the majority, the people that are pissed off the most may not have the necessary means to really do much about it. Thats not to say theyre feelings arent justified. I believe that in order for there to be a radical change precipitated from the population, the minority that isnt easily motivated to a cuase must change their stance, or get off their ass...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom