Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBeauville
Satyr

Loc: suitcase city
Bacteria?parasites?sickness?death?
    #1477795 - 04/21/03 12:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Lately I have been pondering the idea of exactly how dirty mushrooms really are.
Has anyone ever thought of that I mean, they are not really that clean of a thing to eat after all, even when dehydrated. They are decomposer after all. I have been thinking about that one lately especially after discussing the concepts of various parasitic animals and what they can do to you permanently once inside of you.

Me and my associates are rather experienced and fear not picking the "bad ones". But we have discussed the previous and are still not sure and uneducated on such.

--------------------
"...spite to all the genre elitists."
"...just because you feel sorry for someone is no reason to be nice to them."
"May all your corvettes be stingray convertibles, and may all your doses be heroic"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Bacteria?parasites?sickness?death? [Re: Beauville]
    #1477862 - 04/21/03 12:44 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Mushrooms are no more dirty than any fruit or vegetable you eat, unless you're the sort of person who would eat a rotten apple.

Fungi are the primary decomposer of plant materials on land. Mushrooms are their reproductive bodies, in every way comparable to fruit. All of the cultivated mushrooms are saprobes. If you'd rather eat plants, consider that they get much of their nutrients from fungi.

There are parasitic fungi, but very few of them produce things you'd want to eat. Lobster Mushrooms (Hypomyces lactifluorum) are the best known from this group. It should be noted that these are parasitic on other mushrooms.

But the most highly regarded mushrooms are neither saprophytic or parasitic. They are mycorrhizal, meaning they form a mutualistic symibiosis with a higher plant, usually a tree. Fungi are much better at absorbing nutrients from the soil than plants are, and provide the tree with them. In return, the tree provides sugars from photosynthesis. Without their mycorrhizal fungi, trees grow very poorly or die, and are incapable of reproduction.

When planting seedlings to reforest an area, the US Forest Service makes sure the seedlings are innoculated with appropriate mycorrizal fungi for the trees being planted. This results in a much higher rate of success.

Perhaps your feelings of distaste are prompted by thinking about animal parasites and saprobes. Bacteria are the primary decomposers of animal matter, and the results are certainly a lot less appetizing than what one sees when you find a rotting tree trunk.

I wash the mushrooms I eat, but I also wash the fruits and vegetables I eat, both for the same reason. Dirt can be a bit hard on the teeth, and I want to avoid ingesting any potentially harmful bacteria or whatever they were growing in.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide
Re: Bacteria?parasites?sickness?death? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1477886 - 04/21/03 12:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Very informative Toxic. Thanks for posting.

OfflineBeauville
Satyr

Loc: suitcase city
Re: Bacteria?parasites?sickness?death? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1477893 - 04/21/03 12:54 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wonderful an educated individual. Thanks for replying.

Now the mycorrhizal fungi are not what I am worried about. I was speaking more particularly of fungus that grows on a dung substrate. And the thought and knowledge of what exactly is INSIDE the animal that produced said dung is what makes me twitch. I know that it takes some time before the spores start to develop, I know that bacteria etc. from one environment does not neccicarily live in another (i.e outside a bovines intestinal tract) But still it makes me twitch and curious. I tend to dehydrate and keep all my finds in an icebox, and that should take care of most of what I am worried about to be sure.

--------------------
"...spite to all the genre elitists."
"...just because you feel sorry for someone is no reason to be nice to them."
"May all your corvettes be stingray convertibles, and may all your doses be heroic"

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Bacteria?parasites?sickness?death? [Re: Beauville]
    #1477965 - 04/21/03 01:21 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

dude is that your face in your avatar? thats nasty and your worried about mushrooms? seriously tho no need to worry about mushrooms like toxic said they are just fruits the actual organism is in the dung and since you dont eat that its no real problem. and if your that worried about it grow your own jars and dont worry about bacteria and all that from the cow. just my take on things. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification