Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS.
    #14776291 - 07/16/11 06:18 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I prepped my WBS (rinse, rinse rinse, 9 hour soak, rinse, rinse, rinse 1 hour steep, rinse, rinse rinse) and left half of it straining in a colander and half on a window screen, both covered.

Well, that was 6 hours ago.  Yet I can still get it to drip, and it's still sticking to the spoon when turned over.  6 hours later.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Jar it up or let it keep drying?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeepSpace9
White Trash Engineer
Male

Loc: U.S.A. Flag
Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: SmokinErb]
    #14776303 - 07/16/11 06:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Dont jar it up if it is still dripping. I am having the same issues when preping 4-5 quarts in a strainer at a time. If you jar it up now, the additional water will lead to bacterial contams and stall your jars. Your best bet would be to lay some newspaper out, spread the seed on it, and let that soak up the excess water for an hour or so, then jar. I dont even want to mention how many jars and spawn bags I've had to toss due to excessive moisture. Someone with more experience may have more advice, but that is what I've been doing.

Invisibleawakendone
Male User Gallery

#14776308 - 07/16/11 06:34 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

you guys should try boiling the grains for 10 minutes after the soak. when you strain them they will be steaming hot and dry really fast.

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: awakendone]
    #14776318 - 07/16/11 06:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks a lot.  I tried the chat room, but it seems rather dead.  Anyway, I layed out a hand towel and placed most of it on the screen laying on the hand towel to get the moisture off the bottom, the other is sitting over the sink with about 1/3 of the total WBS spread out thinly across the entire screen.  Beats the colander, and it doesn't seem to be dripping from that one.  I'll give it a bit longer and try the spoon test again.

Thanks again for stopping by - I kinda dived head first into monotubs, got 2 syringes in the fridge waiting inoculation - Malabar's and Huautla's.  Starting out with the Huautla's, once I see that the jars are being colonized, I'll start the other batch of Malabar's.  Two different 24 gallon monotubs.  Gonna be using agar's grain LC tek to make some LC so I don't waste my spores on a monotub or two worth of flushes.

Probably went off the deep end a little for a newb, but I ain't got time to mess around.

Offlinedonrjuan
On the Grind

Loc: State of Boredom Flag
    #14776321 - 07/16/11 06:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

awakendone nailed it. Once the grains come off of there 10 min boil, I drain them and pour them between 5gal buckets to let the steam rise off allowing more moisture to evaporate. Check out RR's videos, that is who showed me the way. Good luck.

InvisibleDeepSpace9
White Trash Engineer
Male

#14776327 - 07/16/11 06:43 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I do boil mine and i've still had the issue. I thought it was because of how much I was trying to strain?

OP - You didnt go off the deep end. Sounds like you've done your research and are on the right track. Good Luck man! :thumbup:

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: donrjuan]
    #14776331 - 07/16/11 06:45 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'll keep that in mind for my next batch of WBS.  I'm only hoping I go the moisture content right.  Seems like most of the exploded grains were just the corn, looks like 98% of the milo/millet is intact, but nearly all the corn is busted (small % of the total mix)

Deepspace - I figured that was the reason for mine drying so slow as well - I can't even fit it all in the colander.  I'm doing 1/2 of a 20lb bag, so we'll see what's up.  I figured 30-45 minutes would be good, after 90 minutes I got on the chat and someone said it'd probably take all day so I went to sleep for about 4 hours.  I was just afraid I over-hydrated it or something.

Edited by SmokinErb (07/16/11 06:48 AM)

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
    #14776408 - 07/16/11 07:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah; even when I bring it up to boiling, I have issues with the WBS not drying :frown: About to do some up this morning :smile:

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

OfflineToofpaste
Male User Gallery

Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #14776624 - 07/16/11 09:23 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Don't forget a good PCing usually dissipates some water content...

--------------------
My Trade List
Things I Want

Offlinedakgm
Stranger
Male
Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: Toofpaste]
    #14777265 - 07/16/11 12:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I spread it out thin on a tea towel and leave it for 2 or 3 hours until when I grab handful and let go of it only a few grains stick to my hand.
Then pc it for 90 Min's, seems to work well for me.

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#14777515 - 07/16/11 01:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmokinErb said:
I prepped my WBS (rinse, rinse rinse, 9 hour soak, rinse, rinse, rinse 1 hour steep, rinse, rinse rinse) and left half of it straining in a colander and half on a window screen, both covered.

Well, that was 6 hours ago.  Yet I can still get it to drip, and it's still sticking to the spoon when turned over.  6 hours later.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Jar it up or let it keep drying?

There's your problem, you don't want to rinse your grain after the boil/simmer. You want to go straight from the simmering water to the colander, then toss the grain around in the colander to create steam and remove surface moisture from the grain. From there you can immediately fill your jars.
When you rinse your grain after the simmer, you're replacing the boiling water with cooler water and essentially cooling the grains, which in turn, will not allow the grains to steam dry.
You say your colander is not big enough to fit all of the grain in it. Well, there's a simple solution. Don't pour all of your grain from the pot into the colander at the same time. Do it in intervals. You should only be filling your colander up half way each interval in order to toss the grain around properly anyway.
There is no need to lay your grain out on a screen or towel or newspaper for hours. That shit is totally unnecessary.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

InvisibleDeepSpace9
White Trash Engineer
Male

Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: prismism]
    #14777530 - 07/16/11 01:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well I just learned something today, because I was doing the rinse after the boil as well. Thanks. :thumbup:

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: prismism]
    #14777735 - 07/16/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
There's your problem, you don't want to rinse your grain after the boil/simmer. You want to go straight from the simmering water to the colander, then toss the grain around in the colander to create steam and remove surface moisture from the grain. From there you can immediately fill your jars.
When you rinse your grain after the simmer, you're replacing the boiling water with cooler water and essentially cooling the grains, which in turn, will not allow the grains to steam dry.
You say your colander is not big enough to fit all of the grain in it. Well, there's a simple solution. Don't pour all of your grain from the pot into the colander at the same time. Do it in intervals. You should only be filling your colander up half way each interval in order to toss the grain around properly anyway.
There is no need to lay your grain out on a screen or towel or newspaper for hours. That shit is totally unnecessary.

Thanks a lot for that, I still have to do the other half sometime within the next few days, I'll be sure to post back on how that works.  I was just following some tek where it said to give it one final rinse to keep it from being "slimy" or something like that.

Your solution seems to be the consensus in the chat room from the more established cultivators.  Thanks again!

Offlinewacked4life
noobingaround
 User Gallery

Loc: nerdysouth Flag
Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: DeepSpace9]
    #14778069 - 07/16/11 04:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DeepSpace9 said:
Dont jar it up if it is still dripping. I am having the same issues when preping 4-5 quarts in a strainer at a time. If you jar it up now, the additional water will lead to bacterial contams and stall your jars. Your best bet would be to lay some newspaper out, spread the seed on it, and let that soak up the excess water for an hour or so, then jar. I dont even want to mention how many jars and spawn bags I've had to toss due to excessive moisture. Someone with more experience may have more advice, but that is what I've been doing.

yea i had to toss 3 dozen plus jars do to to much water.

--------------------

What happens in the methlab, stays in the methlab!
psst.... ive got mono check it out!

OfflineAcidOnTap
Stranger

Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: wacked4life]
    #14778747 - 07/16/11 07:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I just had a huge batch of wbs go to trich.

Offlineswope904
Explorer
 User Gallery

Loc: The United States of Amer... Flag
    #14779226 - 07/16/11 09:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

awakendone said:
you guys should try boiling the grains for 10 minutes after the soak. when you strain them they will be steaming hot and dry really fast.

he is exactly right. then spread it out on a towel on table or floor less then a inch Thatch and let the steam rise and dry. put a fan on it for an hour for faster results.

as as far as prep goes keep it simple. rinse. soak. rinse. boil. dry. pc. all you need. if you not sure about your grains do RRs toilet paper test.

Offlineshroomrchik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: swope904]
    #14779279 - 07/16/11 09:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yea you need to boil it then let it steam off some moisture in the collander, then bag it.

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: shroomrchik]
    #14779802 - 07/16/11 11:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well I just took my jars out of the PC.  I'm not actually sure if they're useable or not, looks like some of the seeds started to burst during the PC.  More like "cracked open" than burst.  It's less than 5% burst, roughly 10% cracked - mostly just the red ones (millet, I think?)

Should I still attempt to inoculate this tomorrow?  Or throw it out as a lost cause? 

Gonna let the rest of it dry until morning and PC that first thing in the am.  It's passing the spoon test right about now, but I don't have any lids prepared and I'm not doing any more work tonight.  Not enough left to really worry about.

Plus I found some WBS at a local nursery that doesn't have any corn in it.  Corn is causing my problems in mine (90% of the corn burst - but it's less than 2% of the mix overall)

Edited by SmokinErb (07/16/11 11:58 PM)

InvisibleDr.GREEN-THUMB
Male

#14779820 - 07/17/11 12:05 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Don't bother with wbs, use whole grain brown rice, cook it like directors say, let it drain, put in jars and pc or steam , its cheaper, works faster, and less likely to have contaminants, try a teaspoon of spent coffee grounds per jar!

OfflineAcidOnTap
Stranger

Re: First time grower, need some feedback on draining WBS. [Re: Dr.GREEN-THUMB]
    #14781032 - 07/17/11 10:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Found this this morning is it trich? its really white and has taken over the surface in the one area real thick and its very white. doesnt strike me as mycelium unless its peurto rican which could actually be a possibility.

Though Ive seen molds before and they seem to have this dustyness to them when touched or what have you they push off this mold dust and this didnt have that but looks odd for mycelium but maybe not.
Also I cannot smell anything though I cant really get my head close enough to catch a wiff but as far as I Can tell no smell.

Any comments.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate