Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL/MO/FL/TX/HI/OR
Any Electricians in the House?
    #14767534 - 07/14/11 11:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i need some wiring help!

not sure what ive bought is the BEST way to do this, but it was what i could afford.

my house is wired for 120 and 240(in the den)

i just recently picked up 5 ballast/lamp 600w hps combos

and they are all 240, NON switchable

like i said, my den is wired for 240, and when plugged directly into wall outlet, the ballast/lamps fire right up.

but i need a way to get power from ONE outlet power source, to another room where i need FIVE outlets.

so ive bought 5 individual 240 outlets/housings/covers, and 50' of 240 cord.

ive already wired the male plug end, but am at a serious loss on the 'still bare' end of the cord that needs FIVE outlets...

i dont really understand amperage, and voltage, so also if you could explain how i can calculate to make sure im not going over any thresholds, that would be amazingly helpful!!!

hope this post isnt confusing

Aloha :sun:

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

"The Downfall of Mankind; is Believing He Has Limitations."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Any Electricians in the House? [Re: just me]
    #14767556 - 07/14/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

watts/volts=amps. 600watts/240 volts=2.2 amps is that what you wanted to know? 240 volts x 20 amps= 4800 watts(to pop the breaker)

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery

Loc: all up in ya
    #14767585 - 07/14/11 12:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

you are going to need about 3amps per light. the cables you are using have to be rated to pull that so go at least a 20 amp circuit and to be safe on this shit i would use 10/3 wire and a gfci.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineGanjabonga
Chief
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Any Electricians in the House? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #14767611 - 07/14/11 12:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Volts = electrical pressure
Amps = electrical volume
Watts = measurement of the total amount of electricity con$umed
Ohms = resistance

OfflineGanjabonga
Chief
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #14767624 - 07/14/11 12:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
you are going to need about 3amps per light. the cables you are using have to be rated to pull that so go at least a 20 amp circuit and to be safe on this shit i would use 10/3 wire and a gfci.

Very important. Make sure you are using the right gauge wire for the job. With different amounts of amperage, different lines will be required. If you are doing a 20 amp than 10-3 is what ya want. Line changes with the amperage.

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#14767642 - 07/14/11 12:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

psychoslut, thats foreign language to me. sorry :frown:

can you put that in the laymest of laymans terms :crazy2:

paducahovoids, thanks for that. that helps me understand better whats going on

watts/volts = amps
each one of these ballasts says 240v 2.9 A
so should i assume its actually 2.2 A?

and your equation of "240V x 20A = 4800W to pop breaker"

how did you reach that conclusion, or rather how is that applicable to me?

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#14767680 - 07/14/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

and mainly wondering how to wire 5 outlets to one cord!

this is the info on the cord. sorry im so clueless in this department

"Carol 3/C 12 AWG (3.31mm2) 90degreesC (UL) water resistant SJ00W CSA (-40degreesC) FT-2
P-7K-123033 MSHA 300 Volt RoHS"

im bet a lot of that is unnecessary information, but thate everything that it says on the wire, so i didnt want to leave any out :lol:

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery

#14767682 - 07/14/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

10/3 well you can use 10/2 too depending on how you want to wire it is the kind of cable you want it has two hots, a neutral and a ground. you will use your spare hot wire to run to the next light. the gfci is the kind of outlet or breaker you want and its for safety it will break the circuit if you wire something wrong or something burns up.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#14767704 - 07/14/11 12:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

ok, how do i find out what breaker my house has?
the house is wired for 240 alerady

and the cord i bought has only one hot, one ground one neutral

i was thinking maybe cutting the cord in half, and making TWO, cords. one with 2 outlets, one with 3 outlets

that way each cord would plug into its own outlet, and each cord would have only maximum of 3 outlets on it, instead of 5 on one cord.

with the rating on my wire, would this make better sense???

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery

#14767803 - 07/14/11 12:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

you have to look in your service panel man. imo i think you need to find someone with experience to help you so you dont get hurt.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/78/80/70/788070209_260.jpg&imgrefurl=http://shopping.yahoo.com/788070209-mp260gf-2p-60amp-240v-gfci-circuit-breaker/&usg=__OITdl5Z2DlmDSW9PG0eEf3Yf3BM=&h=160&w=160&sz=4&hl=en&start=12&sig2=G7yYUf-grzIrBiJCVmQX8A&zoom=1&tbnid=Z8rf27hStnu3OM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=122&ei=xTsfTvD6IsHw0gGJpMHUAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3D240v%2Bgfci%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1333%26bih%3D583%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=461&page=2&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:12&tx=116&ty=35

thats a pic of a 240v gfci  breaker

i know its wired for 240v already but it would be a 10 minute job to change your breaker to gfci if you know how and it can and probably will save your life a few times as you fuck up your wiring lol.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery

#14767826 - 07/14/11 01:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i thought of a better idea for you that is less dangerous for you to try and wire. just get a gfci adapter to put on your extension chord. just go to the hardware store and say you need a gfci for your power tools and they will give you what you need.

--------------------

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#14768336 - 07/14/11 03:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

this is an adapter that i will wire directly into EACH cord w outlets?

and its basically a safety net for overpowering my system right? or vise versa, my system overpowering my electricity.?

ALSO, how do i wire multiple individual outlets? if this was answered already im sorry i dont understand.

i cant afford an electrician. im completely broke again after this investment, so i either need to return shit and get the right stuff, or figure how to make what i have work

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #14768346 - 07/14/11 03:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

just me said:
ok, how do i find out what breaker my house has?
the house is wired for 240 alerady

and the cord i bought has only one hot, one ground one neutral

i was thinking maybe cutting the cord in half, and making TWO, cords. one with 2 outlets, one with 3 outlets

that way each cord would plug into its own outlet, and each cord would have only maximum of 3 outlets on it, instead of 5 on one cord.

with the rating on my wire, would this make better sense???

If you are saying you'll plug one into the top socket on your outlet, and one into the bottom socket, it won't help. There is only a fixed amount of amps to the outlet.

Now, 2 things.

1st, it's clear you know little about this subject. I strongly recommend an electrician.

2nd, if you still want to try it yourself, look here. About half way down there is a diagram entitled "receptacle wiring unswitched in series". That should help.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleCaine
lab rat
Male User Gallery

Loc: NE
    #14768348 - 07/14/11 03:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

At least ask some of your buddies if they know anything about wiring, it's a pretty common skill and at least it beats getting your ass zapped.

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

#14769299 - 07/14/11 07:15 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

just me said:[/b
paducahovoids, thanks for that. that helps me understand better whats going on

watts/volts = amps
each one of these ballasts says 240v 2.9 A
so should i assume its actually 2.2 A?

and your equation of "240V x 20A = 4800W to pop breaker"

how did you reach that conclusion, or rather how is that applicable to me?

No, assume 2.9 amps. The ballast takes a little xtra juice to start them. I reached that conclusion by assuming you have 2 20 amp breakers wired in series to get your 240 volts. So then you have 240 volts and 20 amp breakers. Multiply it together and you get how many watts is the max you can draw off of the breaker. You need to hook all of the outlets in parellel, Ie all of the whites together, all of the blacks together, and the grounds together. It's not so dangerous, just make sure the breakers off.

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Any Electricians in the House? [Re: Caine]
    #14771501 - 07/15/11 08:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Caine said:
At least ask some of your buddies if they know anything about wiring, it's a pretty common skill and at least it beats getting your ass zapped.

:lol: thats why i came here :lol:

some friends :crazy2:

just joshin!

paducah, you always speak-a my language

upon a little bit of researching, found out IT IS, in fact, 2 20amp fuses creating my 240v feed
. there is only one outlet, so completely scratch the idea of multiple 240 extension cords
so now im back to wiring FIVE individual 20amp grounded outlets to a SINGLE 20amp 12awg wire.
.on the 240 20amp fuses, there is a small chart, showing: [15-25amp/30-35amp]
                                                          [14-8awg/14-6awg]
                                                                [25]

.my roommate is somewhat electrical saavy, his dad was an electrician, but even still he has felt the wrath of the electri city ! he said 240 will kill me. :shocked:
he showed me how to wire parallel and series and said i need to wire parallel, and he also explained how even with 5 individual outlets wired to one cord, i wont lost strength from the first to the last, and that the single outlet and amp/volt/etc ratings are MORE than sufficient for what im setting up

keep in mind the only thing run to 240 is [5] 600w 2.9amp ballasts, and [5] 600w hps bulbs. so a maximum running wattage of 3000w?. at only 12hours a day...i know the time doesnt matter, but...

i think im all safe. my house is wired by a prefessional electrician and jack of all trades. theres compressor lines coming out of the ceiling, and hidden welders, and all sorts of fun gadgetry for cryin out loud :lol:

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

InvisibleRedSnapper
nuerosonic
 User Gallery

Loc: Endless marshlands
    #14771586 - 07/15/11 09:19 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Your lighting system should be ran off of its own circuit and sub-panel off of the main circuit breaker panel.

This consists of:

A 30amp 240v circuit breaker in the main panel box

A 10awg 3 strand wire to a

separate sub panel which contains the 240v. water heater timer, sub panel box with circuit breaker of the appropriate amperage connected to your electrical outlets.

The only thing not up to code on this is the wire going into the timer should be shrouded..

OfflineSomeGuy
Male User Gallery

#14771611 - 07/15/11 09:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think you'll be just fine. It's only important to know what the ballast draws, it doesn't matter what kind of light hooks to it. Example=ballast draws 2.9 amps@ 240 volts=(2.9x240)696watts(to start the bulbs)after they are lit, they will draw a little less, but you will figure 696 watts x 5 bulbs=3480 watts. 3480w devided by 240 volts=14.05 amps max draw. You will have a safety margin of 4.95 amps. 240 Could kill you. I've known a couple of people who have been shocked by 240 and it didn't kill them, but it did knock them to the ground. One of them bit their tongue really bad, be careful. After you turn the breaker off, first thing to do is touch the black wire to the white one. That way if you turned off the wrong breaker, that will trip it, and turn it off. He's right a seperate sub panel is in order+ it will help with the distribution(of 5 into 1)

InvisibleRedSnapper
nuerosonic
 User Gallery

Loc: Endless marshlands
Re: Any Electricians in the House? [Re: SomeGuy]
    #14771639 - 07/15/11 09:35 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think all the parts to put a sub panel together might set you back $150, including the heavy duty timer. I wired  this one myself with the help of a good book with wiring diagrams. this can be rigged to plug into a 240v. dryer outlet also. Just be safe and redundant..

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Any Electricians in the House? [Re: RedSnapper]
    #14771870 - 07/15/11 10:29 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

there is also a 240 dryer plug on the same wall...

is the sub panel that necessary? $150 is like striking oil right now :lol:

but if ITS ESSENTIAL, i can make something happen

i just feel safer and safer about it the more i talk with you.
-i know my wire is 20 amp, the fuses are 20 amp. my max wattage before tripping the breaker is 4800w, confident i can parallel 5 20amp outlets  (im good at wiring, i just dont know the math and science behind it all)

redsnapper, did you mean to put a pic or a link in ur last post?

paducah, thanks for the tip on the wire check :wink: will do exactly that!

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale