Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Scales, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
In search of the elusive 3rd flush
    #1474815 - 04/20/03 12:48 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My cat has been growing shrooms for a little better than a year now - he's still a newbie but is showing steady improvement. He started off using the Magic Mushroom Grower's guide, v. 3.2 and did quite well for someone lacking opposable thumbs. Unfortunately, he never managed any eye-popping yields using that particular tek, nor were there ever more than two flushes from any one cake. Needless to say, the cat wants more - he's now into casing, and much of his knowledge has been gleaned here from the shroomery. It turns out he's done significantly better by casing his cakes - per flush and total yields are bigger (we don't have scales so he can't tell exactly how much bigger), but still the 3rd flush has proven to be elusive as the dreaded trichoderma always shows up before that happens. He knows how critical sterile conditions are and while he's become quite obsessive about it, there's obviously room for further improvement in his sterile procedures (he's got no glove box, for example). That issue aside, he's wondering about other potential process improvements that may lead him to the holy grail - the elusive 3rd flush and beyond He's considering placing the next set of cakes in the terrarium prior to casing, getting the first flush from the cakes, then dunking using the dunk tek (which he's never tried), then casing after dunking.

1st question: What are some pros and cons of this approach?
2nd question: Is it wise to add h202, bleach (diluted of course) or some other contaminant inhibitor to the dunking water? There's no mention of it in the dunk tek, but as I said, the cat has become obsessive about preventing contaminants
3rd question: Are there any additional measures not covered in any of the FAQs that he should be aware of?

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: In search of the elusive 3rd flush [Re: jimsuzo]
    #1474832 - 04/20/03 12:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, add peroxide to the water, 10 parts water, 1 part H202. You can put it in the fridge also if your afraid of contams. Just make sure its completely submerged.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: In search of the elusive 3rd flush [Re: daussaulit]
    #1474846 - 04/20/03 12:54 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

if you consistantly get contam before the 3rd flush, try fanning more b/c some contaminations like stale air-how much o2 exchange do you have?

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: In search of the elusive 3rd flush [Re: jakeholman]
    #1474923 - 04/20/03 01:12 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The society that abolishes every adventure makes it own abolition the only possible adventure

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Offlinesi1988crx
Beep beep byebye

Re: In search of the elusive 3rd flush [Re: fugu]
    #1475011 - 04/20/03 01:27 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What casing tek are you using? Are you making sure your ph level stays around 7, or is your casing becoming acidic? An acidic casing layer gives way to contams a lot quicker than one that is balanced. If you havent already, try adding some crushed oyster shells to your casing mix

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Re: In search of the elusive 3rd flush [Re: si1988crx]
    #1475076 - 04/20/03 01:37 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm using the 50/50 casing tek - adding ~ 10% crushed oyster shell. I've got the ph up to around 6.5. I'll try to get it up a bit higher.

thanks

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Re: In search of the elusive 3rd flush [Re: jakeholman]
    #1475093 - 04/20/03 01:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Fanning at least twice a day. he'd actually had gotten paranoid about the contams getting in during fanning.

any thoughts about trying to get the 1st flush from uncased cakes, then dunking, then casing the dunked cakes?

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: In search of the elusive 3rd flush [Re: jimsuzo]
    #1477802 - 04/21/03 12:24 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

its not even worth it to wait for a flush then to case and you will realize that when you case it on the second flush and get larger and more specimens :smile: and a ph level 7 is min and ppl still have good fruits with 8 ph level.  good luck.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Scales, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation