Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisible5-HT2A
U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say * 2
    #14594021 - 06/11/11 01:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/09/world/la-fg-narco-contract-20110609

Government reports say the Obama administration is unable to show that billions of dollars spent in the anti-drug efforts in Latin America have made a significant difference.

As drug cartels wreak murderous havoc from Mexico to Panama, the Obama administration is unable to show that the billions of dollars spent in the war on drugs have significantly stemmed the flow of illegal narcotics into the United States, according to two government reports and outside experts.

The reports specifically criticize the government's growing use of U.S. contractors, which were paid more than $3 billion to train local prosecutors and police, help eradicate fields of coca, operate surveillance equipment and otherwise battle the widening drug trade in Latin America over the last five years.

"We are wasting tax dollars and throwing money at a problem without even knowing what we are getting in return," said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), who chairs the Senate subcommittee that wrote one of the reports, which was released Wednesday.

"I think we have wasted our money hugely," agreed Bruce Bagley, who studies U.S. counter-narcotics efforts and chairs international studies at the University of Miami at Coral Gables, Fla. "The effort has had corrosive effects on every country it has touched."

Obama administration officials strongly deny that U.S. efforts have failed to reduce drug production or smuggling in Latin America.

White House officials say the expanding U.S. counter-narcotics effort occupies a growing portion of time for President Obama's national security team even though it garners few headlines or congressional hearings in Washington.

The majority of U.S. counter-narcotics contracts are awarded to five companies: DynCorp, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, ITT and ARINC, according to the report for the contracting oversight subcommittee, part of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Counter-narcotics contract spending increased 32% over the five-year period, from $482 million in 2005 to $635 million in 2009. DynCorp, based in Falls Church, Va., received the largest total, $1.1 billion.

Among other jobs, the U.S. contractors train local police and investigators, provide logistical support to intelligence collection centers and fly airplanes and helicopters that spray herbicides to eradicate coca crops grown to produce cocaine.

The Department of Defense has spent $6.1 billion since 2005 to help detect planes and boats heading to the U.S. with drug payloads, as well as on surveillance and other intelligence operations.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJoolz
Male

Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #14594045 - 06/11/11 02:02 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

We need more articles like this and

Quote:

Obama administration officials strongly deny that U.S. efforts have failed to reduce drug production or smuggling in Latin America.

less fuckers like this^^. Lying bastards.

--------------------
Prohibition didn't work for God; Eve ate the fruit.

OfflineRemix
grammer natze
 User Gallery

Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: Joolz]
    #14594135 - 06/11/11 02:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It should read:

Quote:

U.S. efforts have failed to reduce the demand for drug production or smuggling in Latin America.

--------------------

Edited by Remix (06/11/11 12:01 PM)

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#14594148 - 06/11/11 02:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:facepalm:

supply and demand plus a corrupt system is :moneyeyes: to politicians though

nothing new here, as depressing as it is

--------------------
★★

OfflineZardos
Stranger

Loc: Flag
    #14595429 - 06/11/11 11:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Young turks :thumbup:

--------------------
December 1960:
"They took the drug one evening at Leary's house and had a profound experience, during which Ginsburg prophetically realized that it was a time to start "a peace and love movement". He then ran naked around the house, attempted to get Kruschev and Kennedy on the telephone and announced to the operator that he was God."

OfflineMushie23
Entheogens
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: Zardos]
    #14595584 - 06/11/11 11:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I hope everyone is use to the government wasting our money, time, energy...and of course the continuing lies that never quit.  Will it ever matter which president we have?  I'm not a political expert, but it seems like nothing changes no matter who's running things.

--------------------
Eat Mushrooms----plug into life and nature.

Edited by Mushie23 (06/11/11 11:39 AM)

Offlinelove2shpongleIRL
Opiophile
Male

Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: Joolz]
    #14595644 - 06/11/11 11:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Fucking obummer. Can't belive I was dumb enough to fall for his bullshit. We've spent what? A trillion dollars since the drug wars inception. What do we have to show for it. Regulate and educate.

--------------------
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

InvisibleyogabunnyM
fancy cat
Female User Gallery

Loc: Nasty Women Get Shit Done
Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: love2shpongleIRL]
    #14595885 - 06/11/11 12:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ONE TRILLION DOLLARS?

for what?

a bunch of shoddy statistics.

also...things can/will change but WE have to stand up for ourselves.  Sanho Tree talks about this in the fim in my sig, he says something like:  Turn of the century if you'd asked people they probably would have laughed at the notion of equal rights for women.  20 years later you have the women's suffrage movement.  in 1940/50 people wou have said segregation, yeah that's the way it is.  20 years later you have the civil rights movement.  THE ONLY THING THAT IS INEVITABLE IS CHANGE.

--------------------

OfflineShroomyJohn
Stranger
Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: yogabunny]
    #14596198 - 06/11/11 01:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think the United States can justify about 90% of its spending... on anything.

OfflineSatori23
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lost In America Flag
Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: ShroomyJohn]
    #14596459 - 06/11/11 02:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomyJohn said:
I don't think the United States can justify about 90% of its spending... on anything.

:bobmarley:

--------------------

My Drying Chamber

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: Satori23]
    #14598763 - 06/12/11 12:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"The majority of U.S. counter-narcotics contracts are awarded to five companies: DynCorp, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, ITT and ARINC...."

Pull back the curtain on the war on drugs and you see the same big boys that profit from wars in Afghanistan and Iraq bleeding the citizens of the US in the name of saving the children.

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. can't justify its drug war spending, reports say [Re: yogabunny]
    #14598773 - 06/12/11 12:15 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

yogabunny said:

also...things can/will change but WE have to stand up for ourselves.  Sanho Tree talks about this in the fim in my sig, he says something like:  Turn of the century if you'd asked people they probably would have laughed at the notion of equal rights for women.  20 years later you have the women's suffrage movement.  in 1940/50 people wou have said segregation, yeah that's the way it is.  20 years later you have the civil rights movement.  THE ONLY THING THAT IS INEVITABLE IS CHANGE.

they made more money making women work

plus work sucks, smoking weed is not work at all

--------------------
★★

OfflineJordainio
Jazz Drummer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pennsylvania
NOOOO REALLY?! [Re: the human abstract]
    #14600225 - 06/12/11 10:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

IT TOOK THESE ELECTED OFFICIALS FIVE YEARS TO FIGURE OUT THAT THIS IS WASTE MONEY COVERED IN SHIT, shrouded in BULLSHIT, served with a side of CRAP?? I can't believe the middle class is still so ignorant. How long before it's too long?! What will wake people up to the serious governmental corruption in this country, total lack of prioritizing environmental catastrophe, and blatantly ignoring widespread genocide in other places!!! Why the FUCK are our "elected officials" all LAWYERS and BUSINESSMEN? Fuck them, I still believe the consumer has a lot of power, don't you??
oh no...its easier just to look the other way, keep buying our imported-supporting-slave-labor TELEVISIONS and oh so important BOOB JOBS. Easier for even the so-called nonconformists to smoke a lil dope every now and then praying "oh god i hope the cops don't find me oh man". That's another thing, aren't those fags supposed to protect us? Not incriminate us and look for EACH AND EVERY warrant able almost-just-cause or forced-just-cause situation they get into with the peon civilians they look down upon with disdain? DEA now raiding houses in my area you know...they move in and move out like the wind, nobody else except some retired cops I am actually close to really know about it. Saw US marshals in formation about to shoot at someone a month ago. Cops make mysterious visits to normal looking houses...my friends and I have seen them 3-4am on many many occasions in the same area where the DEA had vans stalking around. what is up with THAT?? anyway I'm feeling very ADD this morning so I hope I don't offend too many people writin' these long responses. Some cops are helpful, the ones I have encountered over the last few months have been A-S-S-H-O-L-E-S. I think a cop aided in a crime I reported, what do they do? Call back my house multiple times looking for my information in case I have to go to court about it, meanwhile my fucking wallet and iPhone 4 got robbed!!! Can I get a what the fuck?!
thank you

--------------------
Also, if anyone is selling cymbals or drum equipment, email me right now!
<span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='nospoiler'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Distant and unimagined realms lie hidden all around us. Not only do we deny things that we CAN see, but many many more that we do not. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

hahahaha, P4N3D!!!!!1!

malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

Re: NOOOO REALLY?! [Re: Jordainio]
    #14600251 - 06/12/11 10:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

its easy to control people with majority

what they cant beat is no matter how poor we are we still can vote

--------------------
★★

OfflineJordainio
Jazz Drummer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: NOOOO REALLY?! [Re: the human abstract]
    #14736050 - 07/08/11 12:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you already read my rant, my bad, but if not, here's just a part of it....
I feel I have to be cautious, as I read more and more about DEA monitoring drug websites (Microgram magazine thread somewhere on this site talks about DEA spying on ip addresses). U.S. only talks about things when they want to scare people, I believe, and WOW do they have people scared. Fear is everywhere here. American flags are every-fucking-where here. Large sections of the 9-11 commission report are blank, thermite bomb traces were found all over the World Trade Center wreckage...yet everyone is held in contempt of terrorist threats by some third world countries that we could easily nuke off the face of the planet. And i say that NOT in a racist sense, but rather in a "USA has spent literally trillions of dollars each YEAR on the war on terror, and yet the middle east is basically still the Ottoman Empire" sense. We're building the most permanent military bases over there, and our president DID lie to us saying he will remove troops. After he was elected he SENT IN MORE?! Just to fight these (what I full-heartedly believe are) make-believe Al-Qaeda forces or other "terrorist threats" that, as you can see, as anyone else that looks at my thread here can see,  aren't even what the internal operations of this government are concerned with!
We are fighting a war against imaginary forces with BLOOD, that is a quest for resource control of OIL. AND , we are waging a war on PERSONAL LIBERTY and killin our own WHILE dehumanizing, mass-media demonizing them for just using a substance. Giving people boy scouts and church and taking away freedom of spirituality, "spectrum" of spirituality as I'd call it. These young men and women shouldn't be killing other spiritual beings somewhere far from the sight of American citizens. I see no war, no terrorists except our own leaders, but I do step out my house and see crack dealers, people DO die in the streets in my hood with needles still in their arms. And the war on drugs obviously ain't workin it's intended purpose either, now is it?! GEEZ 
lol sorry i posted this somewhere else then edited it.

--------------------
Also, if anyone is selling cymbals or drum equipment, email me right now!
<span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='nospoiler'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Distant and unimagined realms lie hidden all around us. Not only do we deny things that we CAN see, but many many more that we do not. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

hahahaha, P4N3D!!!!!1!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom