Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Eastern US Muscaria?
    #14733366 - 07/07/11 10:40 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

These pairs of pics are from under two different Hemlock trees. I think the first 2 pictures are the eastern Amanita muscaria (correct me if I'm wrong) but what is the next pair?

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La ColonizaciĆ³n!
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #14733380 - 07/07/11 10:44 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

To me, a younger specimen of the same species. Shows all the call signs

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#14733392 - 07/07/11 10:47 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RonPaulVerm said:
These pairs of pics are from under two different Hemlock trees. I think the first 2 pictures are the eastern Amanita muscaria (correct me if I'm wrong) but what is the next pair?

Could you get a better shot of the basal bulb for 2? I think they are two different species of sect. Amanita.

--------------------
]

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: Ieponumos]
    #14733436 - 07/07/11 10:58 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i can try. i knew that as soon as i downloaded these haha

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 

OfflineDarklight203
Same Shit
Male

Loc: Nome, Alaska Flag
    #14733443 - 07/07/11 10:59 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I think you're right. First ones have concentric rings on the base, but also has a shaggy stipe. Second one's stipes are smoothe. Beautiful mushrooms, though. Not quite as pretty as A. muscaria =D

--------------------
In ancient times, when demons roamed with man, They hunted, loved and lost, hand in hand, As time went on, the difference between them faded. You couldn't tell anymore, demons and man were related, and some would say the same, but who would like to claim? In time, Gods had even forgot, Demons, too, once love had sought. In times recent I remember, Once I was a man, In my heart I had an ember, I'll relate the best I can but it was snuffed, one distant December. And yet here I stand, no flesh, no bones, no seed or semen, All that's left is this Demon.

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: Darklight203]
    #14733549 - 07/07/11 11:24 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

For future reference, when taking pics of amanitas, it is very important to get a clear shot of the base and stipe.

#2 looks like an Amanita amerimuscaria nom. prov.

--------------------
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms said, "...the rule of thumb is to avoid any bolete with orange to red pores, especially any that bruises blue."
Lincoff, (1989). The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (pp. 562). New York: Knopf.

STICKY: Hunting/ID Sub-Forum General Guidelines
STICKY: ID Request Guidelines
www.youryoure.com

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: Darklight203]
    #14733563 - 07/07/11 11:29 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Darklight203 said:
I think you're right. First ones have concentric rings on the base, but also has a shaggy stipe. Second one's stipes are smoothe. Beautiful mushrooms, though. Not quite as pretty as A. muscaria =D

Not just that ...

2 has an annulus and one doesn't, not even in button.

--------------------
]

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: tangoking]
    #14733578 - 07/07/11 11:33 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

looks not like amerimuscaria to me personally

theres shitloads of amanitas in the eastern us right now, unless you're in serious coniferous woods i doubt finding any til fall is reasonable

not to say you shouldn't look b/c you should, and post some nice pics for us

:sunny:

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: masspan]
    #14740116 - 07/09/11 11:10 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

masspan said:
looks not like amerimuscaria to me personally

theres shitloads of amanitas in the eastern us right now, unless you're in serious coniferous woods i doubt finding any til fall is reasonable

not to say you shouldn't look b/c you should, and post some nice pics for us

Finding amanitas this time of year does not seem doubtful to me. Amerimuscaria maybe, but #1 seems similar to what I found last year except no signs of red...just yellow and orange coloring this time. The base looks the same too

These shots were taken in the Smoky Mtns. which are loaded with coniferous woods mainly Hemlock at low altitudes and Spruce/Fir at higher altitudes.

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #14740545 - 07/09/11 01:26 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

The first one is Amanita muscaria var guessowii. Number two could be different. Pics of the stem base are needed.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

InvisibleJvells
Unity
 User Gallery

Loc: East coast Flag
Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #14740641 - 07/09/11 01:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Question to Masspan and everyone, do you people actually eat these eastern coast ones ever? I found some last year and my friend offered to try them so we did all our research and tried the best method I read; cooked like 3 caps for him in the oven to convert the ibotenic acid, ground them and then mixed them in a tea.

We went for a walk to our nearby park to smoke a bowl and we ended up staying there till two in the morning because he was convulsing, had shit his pants, and I COULD NOT get him to move, this went on for around 6 hours.. I debated calling an ambulance because I had heard of Amanita poisoning but I read people taking up to 6 caps and he weighs around 220 so I decided not to and he was fine. He just said the whole time he was spinning and it :feelsbadman:.. that's all. 

Every time I see one now I just walk by them but I'm almost positive there's something to them from things I've read, Muscimol seems like it's got some amazing entheogenic side to it not many people know about, but maybe not. Anyone got anything to say?:sun:

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: Jvells]
    #14740675 - 07/09/11 01:58 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Jvells said:
Question to Masspan and everyone, do you people actually eat these eastern coast ones ever? I found some last year and my friend offered to try them so we did all our research and tried the best method I read; cooked like 3 caps for him in the oven to convert the ibotenic acid, ground them and then mixed them in a tea.

We went for a walk to our nearby park to smoke a bowl and we ended up staying there till two in the morning because he was convulsing, had shit his pants, and I COULD NOT get him to move, this went on for around 6 hours.. I debated calling an ambulance because I had heard of Amanita poisoning but I read people taking up to 6 caps and he weighs around 220 so I decided not to and he was fine. He just said the whole time he was spinning and it :feelsbadman:.. that's all. 

Every time I see one now I just walk by them but I'm almost positive there's something to them from things I've read, Muscimol seems like it's got some amazing entheogenic side to it not many people know about, but maybe not. Anyone got anything to say?:sun:

Damn .... That's some heavy muscimol!

Also, I think two might be A. velatipes.

--------------------
]

InvisibleJvells
Unity
 User Gallery

Loc: East coast Flag
    #14747591 - 07/10/11 09:55 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

You dotn think high ibotenic acid? But none of you guys have actually tried them to any luck?

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

#14747986 - 07/10/11 11:03 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I just get sick and my head starts spinning

It was not enjoyable for me, so I went to sleep for a few hours

Falling asleep on them was easy

OfflineDarklight203
Same Shit
Male

Loc: Nome, Alaska Flag
Re: Eastern US Muscaria? [Re: Rhizohunter]
    #14748070 - 07/10/11 11:15 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I love them. A. muscaria treats me right. Read up on preparation before you do anything with it.

--------------------
In ancient times, when demons roamed with man, They hunted, loved and lost, hand in hand, As time went on, the difference between them faded. You couldn't tell anymore, demons and man were related, and some would say the same, but who would like to claim? In time, Gods had even forgot, Demons, too, once love had sought. In times recent I remember, Once I was a man, In my heart I had an ember, I'll relate the best I can but it was snuffed, one distant December. And yet here I stand, no flesh, no bones, no seed or semen, All that's left is this Demon.

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14749694 - 07/11/11 07:00 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Jvells i've only eaten amerimuscaria once, very conservatively, 2 small specimens, and did not feel anything, but then again, i didn't eat a tremendous amount, and i sauteed them rather than baked them, so that probably didn't help any chemical conversion (although i will say they were delicious).

i keep a look out for them like any other mushroom regardless, but am cautiously optimistic.

your friends experience with them confirms my feeling that real caution is the best approach, but ultimately its the individuals choice.

some people like the effects, others have a pretty rough time.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification