Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify?
    #14727552 - 07/06/11 06:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all!

Today I got my hands on this little cactus for only 7 dollars in a local plant shop. If I'm lucky, and not mistaken, then this little fellow is a Peyote :smile: :smile: :smile:
It's a green little ball, a bit smaller than the size of my fist and it is spineless, hence I'd say it is some kind of Peyote, although it is quite different from all the peyote pics that I have seen online. The store owner had no idea about what kind of cactus is was, but I bought it anyway in the hope that it is a Peyote and that it is suited for consumption (are there poisonous cacti that can kill when eaten????)

Can anybody identify this cactus from the photo?

If this species is interesting enough, I will buy more of them and I'll be sure to make them flower in order to get a nice stock of seeds!!!

I do not know how many different varieties of peyote are out there, but if phenotypes are quite different in potency and aesthetics then it would be quite interesting to build up a personal collection!

I'm really impatient to have someone identify my green little buddy, so please please, does anyone recognize it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify? [Re: fraggy]
    #14727564 - 07/06/11 06:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

That really looks nothing like a lophophora but still beautiful none the less.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

Loc: 55 degrees north England
Re: Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify? [Re: SuperD]
    #14727604 - 07/06/11 06:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Definitely :whathesaid:

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#14727619 - 07/06/11 06:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fraggy said:
Hi all!

Today I got my hands on this little cactus for only 7 dollars in a local plant shop. If I'm lucky, and not mistaken, then this little fellow is a Peyote :smile: :smile: :smile:
It's a green little ball, a bit smaller than the size of my fist and it is spineless, hence I'd say it is some kind of Peyote, although it is quite different from all the peyote pics that I have seen online. The store owner had no idea about what kind of cactus is was, but I bought it anyway in the hope that it is a Peyote and that it is suited for consumption (are there poisonous cacti that can kill when eaten????)

Can anybody identify this cactus from the photo?

If this species is interesting enough, I will buy more of them and I'll be sure to make them flower in order to get a nice stock of seeds!!!

I do not know how many different varieties of peyote are out there, but if phenotypes are quite different in potency and aesthetics then it would be quite interesting to build up a personal collection!

I'm really impatient to have someone identify my green little buddy, so please please, does anyone recognize it?

No, that's not a Loph, this is

--------------------
]

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify? [Re: Ieponumos]
    #14727628 - 07/06/11 06:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

{suedo Australian bush accent}

That's not a Loph

This is a Loph

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14727707 - 07/06/11 06:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Mmmm, not everything that shines is silver... Apparently not everything that is round and spineless is a peyote, hahaha.
I'm an absolute noob when it comes to cacti!!!! From what I had previously read, one of the most typical features of peyote was the absence of spines, but well, apparently peyote is not unique in that.
I've googled around a bit, I've encountered a few varieties of Peyote, but yeah, my little green friend doesn't even come close. It's still a beautiful cactus though. I'll keep it for experimentational purposes (getting it to flower for example).
Grrrr, I was so impatient and anxious to get a peyote, now I'll have to wait for the peyote seeds I bought to start germinating :smile:

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#14727720 - 07/06/11 06:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GGTBod said:

That's not a Loph

This is a Loph

Good ol' Paul Hogan :lol:

I think it's an aztekium sp, and I believe they're slow growers. I also believe in Jesus. One of these is not true....

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14727738 - 07/06/11 06:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah yeah, I got it, got it! Stop bombarding me with "this is not a Loph, this is", I've seen quite a lot of them lately! LOL!
I just didn't know they were all so much alike!!! I realize my mistake :smile:

But since I got the pic online, anybody as an idea what it is or could point me to an identification guide?

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify? [Re: fngbronco]
    #14727762 - 07/06/11 07:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
I think it's an aztekium sp, and I believe they're slow growers. I also believe in Jesus. One of these is not true....

If it's an Aztekium, it would be interesting, according to wikipedia they contain mescaline and peyotine... doesn't mention how much though...

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify? [Re: fngbronco]
    #14727780 - 07/06/11 07:07 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
Quote:

GGTBod said:

That's not a Loph

This is a Loph

Good ol' Paul Hogan :lol:

Kudos to you Bronco for being old enough and sad enough to get the Crocodile Dundee reference lol "Thats not a knife, this is a knife!!" hahahaha I loved them movies as a kid

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14727800 - 07/06/11 07:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's clear my green buddy is not a Loph, but how do you guys differenciate for example a Matucana madisoniorum from a Loph? (Found pics of Matucana madisoniorum while trying to find pics of my green buddy and Matucana looks an awfull lot like peyote to my untrained eyes!!!)

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

#14727867 - 07/06/11 07:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Check my gallery there are many different versions of the Northern var of Lophophora Williamsii the most potent Peyote according to cacti-lore, also imagine them when the wind has blown away almost all of the tufts if they were outside

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #14727874 - 07/06/11 07:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fraggy said:
It's clear my green buddy is not a Loph, but how do you guys differenciate for example a Matucana madisoniorum from a Loph? (Found pics of Matucana madisoniorum while trying to find pics of my green buddy and Matucana looks an awfull lot like peyote to my untrained eyes!!!)

Well, they do look similar. But the flowers are way different from madisonorium, and then there's spines.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify? [Re: Doc_T]
    #14727902 - 07/06/11 07:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

fraggy said:

Well, they do look similar. But the flowers are way different from madisonorium, and then there's spines.

You differentiate Matucana and Lophophora most easily by their flowers.

--------------------
]

Invisiblegrainbrain
Tribalistic

#14727999 - 07/06/11 07:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I believe what you have is an Echinopsis Subdenudata, but am not positive.

I had one recently until my girlfriend abducted it and the seven attached pups.

Would really love to find the cristate version.

--------------------
Stop cold shocking your mycelium!
Hot Spawn - Get It On

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14728025 - 07/06/11 08:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
You differentiate Matucana and Lophophora most easily by their flowers.

Aha, I see... That's a bit of a problem when the cactus doesn't have any flowers yet!!! :smile: but I catch the drift...
A bit easier than identifying shrooms in the wild I guess, but still complicated (or time consuming) enough to leave that stuff to others who have more experience, hehe.
Anyway, I guess I won't find myself in a situation where I'll need to differenciate between very simillarly looking cacti. I'd better keep myself to the seeds I ordered online, and be patient, and learn...

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14728043 - 07/06/11 08:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Buy all the lookalikes as you find them so you have a type collection for later. And for fun.

--------------------

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Is this a Peyote cactus? Can anyone identify? [Re: grainbrain]
    #14728074 - 07/06/11 08:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

grainbrain said:

I had one recently until my girlfriend abducted it and the seven attached pups.

Would really love to find the cristate version.

Wow that's a striking resemblance!

The only way I've found to ID the lophs is lots of pictures. I bet you could identify fake boobs from real ones, even having not seen fakes in real life :lol: it's all about the research and familiarization lol. Also the lophs seem to have little buttons for each tuft and are more bumpy than jagged or sharp (if that helps).

@GGT how could you not like Dundee! It's een years since I've seen it but it's definitely a great!

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14728099 - 07/06/11 08:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

grainbrain said:
Echinopsis Subdenudata

:orly:

I think I have one, label said "Echinopsis 'domino'". It looks like this pic (no flower yet):

--------------------

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14728181 - 07/06/11 08:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

grainbrain said:

Yes, I checked your link and that's the one! I was searching on the same site using "spineless" to find my cactus but got nowhere. It's definatly a Echinopsis Subdenudata and it's a real beauty with al those flowers (too bad they only last a day). I bookmarked the link you gave me, I'll take good care of it and try to make it flower. Too bad your girlfriend kidnapped yours, it's really cool, looks like a green brain lol.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag