Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: A path with Heart. (making an assumption) [Re: Icelander]
    #14729843 - 07/07/11 04:49 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'd probably reach some level of personal belief in stuff like that if I just experienced cosmic consciousness a little more often.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: A path with Heart. (making an assumption) [Re: Grapefruit]
    #14729847 - 07/07/11 04:52 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah that would work.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#14734161 - 07/08/11 12:01 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe rather than hold a single assumption you can hold a few, and spend your contemplation wondering what difference it makes in this life whether or not the assumptions are true.

Eg why not hold the assumption that you are an unexplained phenomenon related to brain function which will end at death

then also hold the assumption that you are an unexplained phenomenon related to brain function which will change at death.

Given that you will not keep being the person you are now, the two options are not that different but maybe if you think about both of them you will come to realise after a month or two that one assumption leads to very different ways of thinking about life and the meaning of your actions.

unless taking multiple assumptions is too hard for you... I know it is for most people

--------------------

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

Loc: 3 Seconds Ago. Flag
    #14734237 - 07/08/11 12:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Yeah that would work.

I think what your asking is; is it good to lie to yourself and hold beliefs that you may not know are true but you prefer to believe.

If thats true, I would agree...in your situation, especially since you were brought up christian, it would be beneficial to deny or create a false reality.

I mean what good is a belief unless it benefits you somehow...your lack of certainty(as with mine) I think forces you to lie/deny/create a false reality.

Did I understand you correctly?

--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #14734830 - 07/08/11 04:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I was sitting on my porch smoking a cig and the thought occured to me once again that soon I won't be conscious anymore. "I" will likely pass into nothing, to be never again, as if I never was. What a strange feeling that is. It of course brought up a tinge of anxiety in my mind and I though, what do I do with this knowledge?  I knew I needed a belief of some sort to make this feeling manageable.  I then thought of Castaneda's idea of a path with heart.  Now I don't know if there is anything after death. I don't know if
EVERYTHING is conscious or not, but I do know what I would prefer.  I have two choices here. I can make an assumption that there is or there isn't something beyond this being I call me.  What I must (for myself) choose is assumption that feels best and brings me the most happiness while alive so I can get on about the business of living without too much thought or concern  about  things that are unknowable.  I actually have been avoiding this "making an assumption".  I feel that if I make it I want to know why I am, and that I acknowledge to myself fully that it is just an assumption and that I am able to commit to it fully as a path with heart.

Anyone see any possible flaws in this way of thinking about this?

Yea you shouldn't be smoking cigs and worrying about death.  Kind of sounds like one of those oxymoron things.

A fart with path.  I mean a path with fart.  I mean a path with heart.  Whew.  I do have gas.

But you are right it's important to keep walking it gives your heart exercise and kind of ties that path thing in there.  But you have to give up cigs that shit don't do good for your heart or path or lungs or breathe or pocketbook and they put so much shit in there who knows what you are getting do you really trust the men in the white lab suits all that much?  Do you think they follow a path with heart while researching or a path where the grant money was.

Be honest.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: A path with Heart. (making an assumption) [Re: Noteworthy]
    #14734867 - 07/08/11 05:11 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I pretty much live with multiples. Nothing is known or sure.  I was wanting to narrow it down by taking a stand but as Cups pointed out that may not be possible for me.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (07/08/11 05:11 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom