Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMicawber
Male User Gallery

Loc: southeast
1st guitar(E) need your help
    #14475971 - 05/18/11 10:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

so im taking the plunge

for about ten years now i have been strumming the air guitar
well no more

iv always wanted to be able to play an electric(i cant play anything:sad:)

but here is the problem-im a musical idiot,yup
i dont know jack about instrumentation or acoustics
i do know that i would prefer a 5-6 string to play the sharper notes
of songs
and that i have only 350-400 for a full starter package
guitar-amp-teaching stuff-etc

please help put me on my path to musical bliss
sorry if this post is convoluted(said i dont know jack)

thanks yall

--------------------
(mik-kaw'-bur) n. one who is poor but lives in optimistic expectation of better fortune:nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStopwhispering
The voodoo peoples
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: Micawber]
    #14476650 - 05/19/11 02:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The only real tip I can give you is to try heaps out, even if you can't play a thing some guitars/styles of guitar will suit you more, feeling comfortable with your intstument is probably the most important thing when starting out. 

If you have somebody that knows a bit about guitars that can come with you, I would definately consider going for something second hand you can find some amazingly cheap and amazingly awesome guitars that way with a bit of patience.

Good luck with it.  :jamming:  :hairmetal:  :rockman:

InvisibleMicawber
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: Stopwhispering]
    #14476675 - 05/19/11 02:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks
see i hadn't even thought of that

--------------------
(mik-kaw'-bur) n. one who is poor but lives in optimistic expectation of better fortune:nyan:

Offlinehuxmush
Wanderer

Loc: Australia
    #14477470 - 05/19/11 08:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Stopwhispering said:
The only real tip I can give you is to try heaps out, even if you can't play a thing some guitars/styles of guitar will suit you more, feeling comfortable with your intstrument is probably the most important thing when starting out. 

If you have somebody that knows a bit about guitars that can come with you, I would definitely consider going for something second hand you can find some amazingly cheap and amazingly awesome guitars that way with a bit of patience.

Good luck with it.  :jamming:  :hairmetal:  :rockman:

All sensible advice (which you'll find echoed throughout the web if you do more research). At the time (a few years ago) I ended up going for a Yamaha Pacifica 112J which with accessories should fit your budget. It has a nice tone when unplugged as well, so consider adding to your list of guitars to try. In fact, when I went to pick it up I found out it was the guy who worked in the guitar shops first guitar as well.

The second (and only other) guitar I own is a Rickenbacker 330, but the Yamaha still gets a lot of play.

OfflineDeliriumTrigger
Stranger

Loc: Flag
Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: huxmush]
    #14483891 - 05/20/11 11:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, don't get a package. Some people might disagree with me, but in my experience, packages are shit.  What type of styles of music do you like? A band or two would be nice. I'll hook you up with some gear to look at, once ya tell me.

InvisibleMicawber
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: DeliriumTrigger]
    #14483982 - 05/20/11 11:36 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DeliriumTrigger said:
Okay, don't get a package. Some people might disagree with me, but in my experience, packages are shit.  What type of styles of music do you like? A band or two would be nice. I'll hook you up with some gear to look at, once ya tell me.

hey thanks man

im really into bands such as audio-slave
                            system of a down
                            pin-back|
                            |etc

so yea im deff more of a sharper note kinda guy

perfect example is audio-slaves i am the highway(played out i know)

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

#14484001 - 05/20/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

find a friend who plays guitar well and take him with you to the pawn shop. You can get a pretty nice rig there for the money you are talking about. Me, 20 years of guitar

OfflineDeliriumTrigger
Stranger

#14484122 - 05/20/11 12:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Micawber said:
Quote:

DeliriumTrigger said:

hey thanks man

im really into bands such as audio-slave
                            system of a down
                            pin-back|
                            |etc

so yea im deff more of a sharper note kinda guy

perfect example is audio-slaves i am the highway(played out i know)

Guitar: http://www.rondomusic.com/product3370.html ; (Haven't played personally, but lots of people say these SX guitars are the best starters you can find)

Amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/-HT1-Series-HT1-1W-1x8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H74090 ; (Demos here: 
  and

Tuner: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-GA1-Guitar-and-Bass-Tuner?sku=502062

Strap: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2-Poly-Strap?sku=367253

Picks: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Tortex-Standard-Guitar-Picks?sku=110040 ; (I recommend the green ones.)

Strings: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXL120-Nickel-Super-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings-3Pack?sku=H71089

Okay, that should be right around $400, maybe a little more. The amp sounds fantastic, and really amps affect your tone more than your guitar does in most cases. That guitar is pretty similar to the one Tom from Audioslave/Rage Against The Machine uses, and seems to be pretty good. I didn't put any learning DVDs, because anything you can learn from them, you can learn on youtube or ultimate-guitar (or just download the damn dvd from thepiratebay or something).

Edited by DeliriumTrigger (05/20/11 12:36 PM)

InvisibleStopwhispering
The voodoo peoples
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: SomeGuy]
    #14485096 - 05/20/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

paducahovoids said:
find a friend who plays guitar well and take him with you to the pawn shop. You can get a pretty nice rig there for the money you are talking about. Me, 20 years of guitar

:thumbup:

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
    #14488226 - 05/21/11 03:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

get an acoustic first, a classical is even better, they have soft strings and are well spaced apart and it's great for learning guitar. i would really recommend not getting an electric first. check out old red label yamaha nippon gakki guitars from 68-73ish on ebay, they are extremely well made and are quite cheap for solid wood instruments. i have a few guitars that are worth 2,000 to 3,000, but i play my 100$ yamaha classical more than any of them, really superb guitars and can be had for around 150$ shipped.

OfflineDeliriumTrigger
Stranger

Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: Cloud9]
    #14496307 - 05/22/11 09:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cloud9 said:
get an acoustic first, a classical is even better, they have soft strings and are well spaced apart and it's great for learning guitar. i would really recommend not getting an electric first. check out old red label yamaha nippon gakki guitars from 68-73ish on ebay, they are extremely well made and are quite cheap for solid wood instruments. i have a few guitars that are worth 2,000 to 3,000, but i play my 100$ yamaha classical more than any of them, really superb guitars and can be had for around 150$ shipped.

Yeah, classical guitar is a great way to start. I've been trying to muster enough extra cash up to get a Yamaha nylon.

InvisibleStopwhispering
The voodoo peoples
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: DeliriumTrigger]
    #14497843 - 05/23/11 06:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DeliriumTrigger said:
Quote:

Cloud9 said:

Yeah, classical guitar is a great way to start. I've been trying to muster enough extra cash up to get a Yamaha nylon.

Yeah this slipped my mind, I think because at the time I had really good access to acoustic guitars through my music classes so buying one wasn't really necassary.

Acoustic is probably a better place to start, plus you can take them around everywhere with you without having to lug an amp, leads and other crap around.

Having access to both I found it a lot easier to learn something new/more challenging on a nylon, then go to the electric and replicate it.  Jumping straight into electric can be a little frustrating for most, some people seem to have no problems starting there though.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #14497958 - 05/23/11 07:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Micawber said:for about ten years now i have been strumming the air guitar well no more

That made me laugh

I would go with an acoustic to start, and then learn basic blues.  Especially learn the progressions of 12-bar blues.

Good luck in your endeavor :thumbup:

InvisibleMicawber
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #14498194 - 05/23/11 09:30 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hey thanks for all the feed-back guys
im slowly but surely working the list out in my head
soon i will have musical bliss:thumbup:

but yea thanks all

been a huge help

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
    #14722247 - 07/05/11 07:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah this is a great thread.  I am learning guitar myself. I'm brand spanking new to it and really have very little idea what the hell I am doing.

I am currently borrowing a yamaha nylon guitar from my cousin so I can find my way around a little bit.  today I got it in tune.  that took a couple hours, lol.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblevenetianblinds
cabbage

Re: 1st guitar(E) need your help [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #14723974 - 07/06/11 02:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

learn some piano too. itll help with learning notes and how chords are made.

--------------------
How do you know but ev’ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos’d by your senses five?

Jump to top Pages: 1