Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleDistorted Vision
The best. Of the worst.
Male

Loc: Indiana Flag
Vegetarian
    #14717373 - 07/04/11 07:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

To all the vegetarians out there, I ask you this. How will/is it effect(ing) you're relationship. I'm not gonna only try to have long term relationships with vegetarians, and if I did end up having kids in the future I do not want to force them to be a vegetarian either. And if you did marry a meat eater, is it a pain in the ass to work out. I currently live with my dad that eats meat, and it's been like this for a long time.

I'm just wondering how you feel that it will work out (or has worked out) with relationships/kids.

I always think about how big of a problem it will be, just want to hear from other vegetarians.

--------------------

"Yo yo just here to spread my clit and show ya'll what a wonderful and free being we are all inside lets take the acid and turn inside into the outside come on over baby lets smell the roses ohh ohh come on we're about to get lit show my undies to your baby I'll hug it down three times go around frown come on we aint a nice clown kiss me upside down down down come on sorry if you cant handle my wokeness come on lets take her panties off write shroomery on my asshole and taste it lick it make if feel like we was 1978 come on baby lets do the locamotion"-Twig dude

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: Vegetarian [Re: Distorted Vision]
    #14717491 - 07/04/11 08:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Im not a vegetarian so I hope you dont mind me posting. I just found this thread interesting.

I dont see why it should be a problem between a couple at all? I look at it from my (meat eater) perspective. If my girlfriend was vegan, all it would mean is that when I make her dinner that I wouldnt cook her meat.

Why would you refrain from having a long term relationship a girl who eats meat? That seems a little silly if you ask me. You might be missing out on your true love just because she enjoys a hardboiled egg.

Im not trying to be a jackass, but it seems like it would be more of a problem with you rather than the kids or the girl. Does it bother you to watch people eat meat?

The best. Of the worst.
Male

Re: Vegetarian [Re: XUL]
    #14717549 - 07/04/11 08:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Why would you refrain from having a long term relationship a girl who eats meat? That seems a little silly if you ask me.

I said nothing like this, I said the opposite actually.

Quote:

You might be missing out on your true love just because she enjoys a hardboiled egg.

Also did not say anything about me being a vegan.

Quote:

Im not trying to be a jackass, but it seems like it would be more of a problem with you rather than the kids or the girl. Does it bother you to watch people eat meat?

I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years now, I know what problems it can create. It doesn't bother me at all to see anyone eat meat, my whole family eats meat.

Thanks for responding though!
:awedance:

--------------------

"Yo yo just here to spread my clit and show ya'll what a wonderful and free being we are all inside lets take the acid and turn inside into the outside come on over baby lets smell the roses ohh ohh come on we're about to get lit show my undies to your baby I'll hug it down three times go around frown come on we aint a nice clown kiss me upside down down down come on sorry if you cant handle my wokeness come on lets take her panties off write shroomery on my asshole and taste it lick it make if feel like we was 1978 come on baby lets do the locamotion"-Twig dude

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #14717690 - 07/04/11 09:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Distorted Vision said:
Quote:

Why would you refrain from having a long term relationship a girl who eats meat? That seems a little silly if you ask me.

I said nothing like this, I said the opposite actually.

Quote:

You might be missing out on your true love just because she enjoys a hardboiled egg.

Also did not say anything about me being a vegan.

Quote:

I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years now, I know what problems it can create. It doesn't bother me at all to see anyone eat meat, my whole family eats meat.

Thanks for responding though!
:awedance:

oh shit sorry man. lol

I totally misread your thread. My mistake.

DOH!:wink:

The best. Of the worst.
Male

Re: Vegetarian [Re: XUL]
    #14717738 - 07/04/11 09:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

oh shit sorry man. lol

I totally misread your thread. My mistake.

DOH!:wink:

It's all good!:awesomenod:
But yeah, it's not THAT BIG of a problem.
In america though, most restaurants don't have much for vegetarians.
And not all meals are as easy as just add meat or not, I have to disclude a lot of meals and totally make a different main course,etc. I wouldn't want my kids to be forced upon anything really, especially something as life changing as you're everyday meals.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #14718844 - 07/05/11 03:57 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a flexitarian/pescetarian (which means I do eat fish perhaps once or twice a week, and maybe a handful of times a year I eat meat, but I usually eat neither) and currently not in a relationship, but I do eat with/cook for other people frequently, and here are some findings that could be of help:
- The fact that I chose to be a vegetarian (although not an extremely strict one) doesn't mean I expect the same from other people. I don't judge other people by what they eat. Mutual respect is the basis for any kind of durable relationship, so this is an important point.
- In my family, roughly four diets coexist: gluten-free, vegetarian (no fish), pescetarian/flexitarian (me; see above) and 'normal'. When cooking for the whole family, we either cook vegetarian and gluten-free (so everyone can eat everything that is cooked), or a veg/flut-free basis with side dishes to match the dietary wishes of each family member. In practice, this often means something like rice, a vegetable dish, and side dishes of tofu, fish and/or meat. At first, you really need to be very conscious of what you cook exactly, but in a few weeks/months, it comes really naturally.
- I myself have no problems cooking meat for those who like to eat it. I cooked some lamb chops some time ago for my parents and they ostensibly enjoyed them immensely. Indeed, I must say they looked really good, and I was happy to serve some deliciousness to them. I ate the potatoes and vegetables that I cooked along with the meat. Of course, this sort of flexibility makes it a lot easier to deal with this issue. I have also experienced the reverse: having a barbecue with some hardliner vegetarians attending, who demanded that none of the cutlery, grills or anything else would come into contact with meat, so that their meal would not be 'contaminated'. This was problematic for themselves, and of course very frustrating for anyone involved in the cooking.

So it's as easy or difficult as you like to make it for yourself.

The best. Of the worst.
Male

Re: Vegetarian [Re: koraks]
    #14720181 - 07/05/11 11:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
I'm a flexitarian/pescetarian (which means I do eat fish perhaps once or twice a week, and maybe a handful of times a year I eat meat, but I usually eat neither) and currently not in a relationship, but I do eat with/cook for other people frequently, and here are some findings that could be of help:
- The fact that I chose to be a vegetarian (although not an extremely strict one) doesn't mean I expect the same from other people. I don't judge other people by what they eat. Mutual respect is the basis for any kind of durable relationship, so this is an important point.
- In my family, roughly four diets coexist: gluten-free, vegetarian (no fish), pescetarian/flexitarian (me; see above) and 'normal'. When cooking for the whole family, we either cook vegetarian and gluten-free (so everyone can eat everything that is cooked), or a veg/flut-free basis with side dishes to match the dietary wishes of each family member. In practice, this often means something like rice, a vegetable dish, and side dishes of tofu, fish and/or meat. At first, you really need to be very conscious of what you cook exactly, but in a few weeks/months, it comes really naturally.
- I myself have no problems cooking meat for those who like to eat it. I cooked some lamb chops some time ago for my parents and they ostensibly enjoyed them immensely. Indeed, I must say they looked really good, and I was happy to serve some deliciousness to them. I ate the potatoes and vegetables that I cooked along with the meat. Of course, this sort of flexibility makes it a lot easier to deal with this issue. I have also experienced the reverse: having a barbecue with some hardliner vegetarians attending, who demanded that none of the cutlery, grills or anything else would come into contact with meat, so that their meal would not be 'contaminated'. This was problematic for themselves, and of course very frustrating for anyone involved in the cooking.

So it's as easy or difficult as you like to make it for yourself.

idk why people are reminding me to not judge anyone and all this, I never said I had an issue on that part. :shrug:
But thanks for your answer, helped a lot!

--------------------

OfflineTigerShark
Meowasaurus
Female

Loc: Mass
    #14720199 - 07/05/11 12:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a vegetarian, and it really doesn't affect my relationship at all.  Hell, if anything he likes it because a grilled cheese and fries is a lot cheaper than a nice seafood dinner :cool:

But as far as having kids goes, let them make their own choice, don't force them to be veggies, but don't make them pure carnivores either.

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14720796 - 07/05/11 02:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It hasn't been an issue for me yet, because my last two girlfriends were also vegetarian.  But I suppose if I did date someone who ate meat, I'd cook vegetarian meals for us.  If she wants to eat meat, she can cook some, and it won't bother me.  But if she does, I'll likely make something vegetarian for myself.  As for the kids, it'll be the same kind of thing.  I'll cook vegetarian meals.  And if my partner doesn't want to cook any meat, then the kids will eat vegetarian.  If she wants to cook some meat, she can, and the kids can eat it if they choose to.

Offlinedrwatson
Slacker
 User Gallery

Loc: nowhere land
Re: Vegetarian [Re: BothHands]
    #14722476 - 07/05/11 08:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well I'm married with children and collectively we are 70% vegetarian, if you don't count fish, and my oldest son decided without any encouragement/discouragement that he doesn't like meat.  As a toddler he ate meat but as he got older he stopped and decided that he didn't like it anymore.

I'm only just making the transition into being a vegetarian myself (2 months) but my wife has been for awhile.  As to cooking dinner with a significant other who eats meat, or is a vegetarian, once people get into real relationships and have children they don't tend to act the way they said they would before and while this is true for pretty much everything; as to cooking, you pretty much have to find a compromise with dinner and can't be cooking double meals everyday, that doesn't work. 

Besides, women like a man that can cook so the last thing you want to do is make her cook her own dinner :archiebunker:

You'll have to find a balance and incorporate other food preferences by changing up the SIDES.  It's all about the sides.

(by the way: since changing my eating habits I feel great! I can't believe how blind I was.)

Edited by drwatson (07/05/11 08:46 PM)

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Vegetarian [Re: drwatson]
    #14722621 - 07/05/11 09:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

My mom's vegetarian, and my dad eats meat.  If he wants meat, he goes and gets burger king.  She doesn't cook it.  Every once in a while we'll barbeque and he'll make some meat and we'll make portabello burgers.  But for the most part he's a de facto vegetarian. :lol:

He doesn't really complain.  He'll buy some salami and put it on a sandwich for work or something.  It's really only dinner that's affected.

The best. Of the worst.
Male

Re: Vegetarian [Re: drwatson]
    #14722623 - 07/05/11 09:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

drwatson said:
Well I'm married with children and collectively we are 70% vegetarian, if you don't count fish, and my oldest son decided without any encouragement/discouragement that he doesn't like meat.  As a toddler he ate meat but as he got older he stopped and decided that he didn't like it anymore.

I'm only just making the transition into being a vegetarian myself (2 months) but my wife has been for awhile.  As to cooking dinner with a significant other who eats meat, or is a vegetarian, once people get into real relationships and have children they don't tend to act the way they said they would before and while this is true for pretty much everything; as to cooking, you pretty much have to find a compromise with dinner and can't be cooking double meals everyday, that doesn't work. 

Besides, women like a man that can cook so the last thing you want to do is make her cook her own dinner :archiebunker:

You'll have to find a balance and incorporate other food preferences by changing up the SIDES.  It's all about the sides.

(by the way: since changing my eating habits I feel great! I can't believe how blind I was.)

Wow I would love to find a woman that does what you did, and the last posts before you were great too!
Thanks guys, yeah I have always thought about it but wanted to see if anyone else had experiance with it.

--------------------

Offlineangel100
AngelMan

Loc: usa n everywhere else i l... Flag
    #14740210 - 07/09/11 09:53 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i'm mostly vegetarian too and all my mates have been meat eaters. i don't think you can plan accurately ahead of time what you will or will not do. you can try and have an idea and that's good of course. the problem is it really depends on your mate. some people can be frustrating. it's like they need to control you. so if you say you don't eat meat, all of a sudden they want you to eat meat. i was at a resturant once on a date and my partner said something like this: "you'll eat meat for me right, baby?" with someone like that you'll probably get into arguments every once in a while about what should be cooked and shouldn't, meaning they are going to want meat everytime. but then you have some people who just don't care as long as the food is good. these people you can cook mostly vegetarian for them and they won't give a damn.

if i had kids i'd just cook vegetarian for them in the house. and when they leave the house (school, grandparents, restaurants, parties...) they would be able to choose whatever they wanted to eat. i compare it to my parents who didn't care much if i liked pig's feet and liver while i was growing. they made it part of the menu because they liked it, it was part of their culture and they were the ones cooking.

--------------------
beware of contradictions. i'm everywhere.

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
Re: Vegetarian [Re: angel100]
    #14750201 - 07/11/11 08:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Let's be real here... To all the people who think that the OP shouldn't have a problem with dating a meat-eating girl, you're wrong. That's like trying to have a relationship with someone of a completely different religion/no religion, it's not going to work out. When an individual can't share the most important things to him with a significant other, it just doesn't work out. Me and my boyfriend are both vegetarians, but I eat fish sometimes. That doesn't bother him, because a slight variation in our major shared belief is not a big deal. We both agree that a plant based diet is the healthiest option and we also avoid all dairy (as long as we can help it). We are so strong together because we share so many of the same beliefs in life.

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

Edited by lillFish (07/11/11 08:42 AM)

Offlineeira
i am excited to be here

Loc: L.A.
Re: Vegetarian [Re: lillFish]
    #14750577 - 07/11/11 10:33 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lillFish said:
Let's be real here... To all the people who think that the OP shouldn't have a problem with dating a meat-eating girl, you're wrong. That's like trying to have a relationship with someone of a completely different religion/no religion, it's not going to work out.

I agree with this, only I wouldn't say it wouldn't completely work out...just that it would be really, really hard.

A lot of the problems you're having with your dad, you're going to have with any meat eater you live with. Roommates, significant others, etc. The good news is it all depends on the individual; so I recommend you & your dad (and in the future, you & your girlfriend) try figuring out a compromise.

Unlike a lot of you "sometimes" vegetarians and pescetarians, I'm actually vegetarian. Have been for several years now. There are a lot of facts people miss...like, if you're living with a meat eater, you're going to have to have separate frying pans. Cooking meat in the house is a big issue; for a lot of us, the smell makes us nauseous (for me, I still enjoy the smell of bacon, but I can't stand fish, pork, beef). It also depends on the type of vegetarian you are, too. I can stand meat eaters because I don't have a problem with the *meat* itself, I have a problem with the meat *industry*...but I know a lot of people who aren't as forgiving as me when it comes to people who eat meat.

For me personally, I've been in a relationship for several years and he's been vegetarian for the most part lol :smile: Like I said, try and find means to compromise now so that you know what kinds of things you're willing to sacrifice in the future.

--------------------
:feelsgoodgurl:

The best. Of the worst.
Male

Re: Vegetarian [Re: eira]
    #14752399 - 07/11/11 04:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Girls seem to change the guys easier from what I've seen.

angel100, I will probably cook vegetarian and if they have a problem then they will do something else.

lillFish, I don't agree with you much because It's worked out with my dad for almost 10 years. But yeah it will be a lot harder, but I can't just not date people because they aren't vegetarian. If I do find a vegetarian girl though, I would love it sooo much and pretty much all of the problems would b solved.

eira, yeah I don't like cooking with the grease meat. I am not bothered by the smell of any meat, I was the first 4 years or something but now am not bothered by any smell.

BothHands, sorry I missed your last post because you posted while I was writing my last one. Yeah I love cooking on open fires or grills including vegetables,fake meat, etc.

Thanks guys, these posts have really showed me how a lotof people are living with this obstacle.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Vegetarian [Re: lillFish]
    #14755167 - 07/12/11 03:01 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lillFish said:
Let's be real here... To all the people who think that the OP shouldn't have a problem with dating a meat-eating girl, you're wrong. That's like trying to have a relationship with someone of a completely different religion/no religion, it's not going to work out. When an individual can't share the most important things to him with a significant other, it just doesn't work out.

So it just depends on how important being a vegetarian is to you. We're not collectively wrong, you're just very focused on your vegetarianism. For me, it's not a huge issue. I don't have any problems with cooking meat for people, nor with them eating meat. My decision doesn't need to be their decision. So just coming in here and yelling that people are wrong because you happen to have different norms, that don't work :wink:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #14755784 - 07/12/11 08:21 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
So it just depends on how important being a vegetarian is to you. We're not collectively wrong, you're just very focused on your vegetarianism. For me, it's not a huge issue. I don't have any problems with cooking meat for people, nor with them eating meat. My decision doesn't need to be their decision. So just coming in here and yelling that people are wrong because you happen to have different norms, that don't work :wink:

I always tell people that I'm not 'militant' about my diet when I mention that I am vegan.  It is unfortunate that so many vegetarians, and especially vegans, are insanely judgmental towards people that don't share their dietary beliefs.  To be fair, I see a lot of meat eaters become a bit militant towards vegetarians as well.  I don't understand why so many people feel it is necessary for everybody else in the world to share their values.  I often wonder if people are insecure in their values and are trying to justify their beliefs by forcing others to do as they do.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Vegetarian [Re: Seuss]
    #14755815 - 07/12/11 08:35 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, it's odd. Luckily, I don't have any militant vegans, vegetarians or meat-eaters in my personal network. It would be a pretty good contraindication for being a friend of mine too. Can't imagine hanging out with people who are so easy to pass judgement on others on the basis of their fucking diet.

The best. Of the worst.
Male

#14759596 - 07/12/11 09:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I definetley don't judge others bc of that, I can and have cooked meat too. I dont like cooking with the same greases, but idk if I'm cooking it. Thanks everyone again.:heart:

--------------------

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
    #14762522 - 07/13/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

lillFish said:
Let's be real here... To all the people who think that the OP shouldn't have a problem with dating a meat-eating girl, you're wrong. That's like trying to have a relationship with someone of a completely different religion/no religion, it's not going to work out. When an individual can't share the most important things to him with a significant other, it just doesn't work out.

well, I didn't yell (lol internet) :P I know some people see things in an entirely different way than I do. I don't have a problem with other people eating meat, I just choose to eat a plant based diet, not for moral reasons or anything. I guess I'm just focusing on beliefs and not the actual diet. I just feel like people that are together that share the same beliefs work out. I have found that people get very passionate about how they believe they should eat.... same with religion. It doesn't seem to be something less complicated like color choice or whatever. So if your food choices are based on certain beliefs and you are passionate about them, maybe it won't work out with someone that doesn't share the same belief. :shrug:

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag