Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Loc: South Park Colorado
Quick question about cased substrate trays
    #14714430 - 07/04/11 08:37 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I've just prepared a 2  extra deep foil roasting pans with substrate (coir verm and some brf for the helluvit). They are colonizing now, and I plan to case with the 50/50 peat moss and verm tek. I got a pretty good idea how to proceed but with 1 question. Water. Should I dunk the mycelium block like I did with my pf cakes, then put it back in the foil pan before I case it? Or not?

Also after I harvest my first flush what should I do? Wash off the old casing layer, redunk the mycelium block, and recase? If so do I repeat this process after each flush?

As always, any help is deeply appreciated

--------------------
"Snow is like sex. You never know how much your gonna get or how long it's gonna last"

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleconformist
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Flag
Re: Quick question about cased substrate trays [Re: King Cap]
    #14714444 - 07/04/11 08:48 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Could you give more detail about your roasting pans? Did you sterilize the substrate after mixing in the BRF? How did you inoculate the substrate? To guess how much water your substrate would lose wile colonizing, we need to know what conditions they are in now. Are they just two roasting pans sealed with foil with some holes poked in them sitting in a cabinet above your refrigerator?

It may help even more if you were to give details about your entire process.

OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Re: Quick question about cased substrate trays [Re: conformist]
    #14714496 - 07/04/11 09:11 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Substrate was all mixed together, then pasteurized according to the specifications in RRs Let's Grow Mushrooms video. I inoculated them following procedure from the video. Had 4 quarts pasteurized substrate and 1 quart of wbs grainspawn for each tray. I poured 1 quart, layer of grainspawn, next quart of sub, another layer of grainspawn etc. Now they are sitting in a clean area of my walk in closet. With a couple tiny holes for ge

The trays are extra deep foil roasting pans from wal mart. Substrate depth is right under 4 inches but quite close

--------------------
"Snow is like sex. You never know how much your gonna get or how long it's gonna last"

Invisibleconformist
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Flag
Re: Quick question about cased substrate trays [Re: King Cap]
    #14714655 - 07/04/11 10:31 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I hate to be the pessimist, but I feel like the BRF addition may have been a mistake. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong and this will turn out great. Maybe some others will chime in.

The difficult part is finding what works for you. Most people use things that allow them to see what is going on inside, like jars and filtered bags. When growing oysters on straw, I've used small plastic bags with holes poked in them, which worked fine. Experimenting is great, so keep at it till you find your way.

I think it may be difficult to detect if there are contaminants, without pulling back the foil (which you want to avoid).  If there are any odd odors, I'd take them outside before checking.

Good Luck!

Offlinesteelmonkey
Homejigger
Male

Loc: Nova Scotia,Canada Flag
Re: Quick question about cased substrate trays [Re: conformist]
    #14715010 - 07/04/11 12:21 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Don't dunk on the first flush,wash,dunk and recase after each subsequent flush and next time id leave out the BRF

--------------------

OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Re: Quick question about cased substrate trays [Re: steelmonkey]
    #14715070 - 07/04/11 12:39 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Aight thx steel monkey

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation