Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheallseeingeye
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Questions on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide...
    #14708446 - 07/02/11 08:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have recently read a post be a recommended mushroom cultivator saying the use of hydrogen peroxide is outdated, I would like to know why?

It would make sense that hydrogen peroxide would be detrimental for sanitizing anything around mushroom spores, but wouldn't using H202 help for colonizing mycelium during fruiting, considering the mycelium releases enzymes that break H202 into oxygen and hydrogen... and prevents any other contaminants...

Just wondering as I am considering using h202, not that I have had any contaminants, but I am starting to use coir and I have read that sometimes after the third flush contaminants start to grow...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCarl Sagan
Time Dilation Analyst

Loc: Myco-tek.org
Re: Questions on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide... [Re: theallseeingeye]
    #14708534 - 07/02/11 09:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

H2O2 is great. Use it at full strength. It comes pre diluted. If you want a super disinfectant
spray the surface with vinegar, then H2O2, but don't mix the two in the same bottle.

--------------------
“Sacred cows make the best hamburger”

Mark Twain

Independant Research Foundation

Offlinetheallseeingeye
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: Questions on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide... [Re: Carl Sagan]
    #14708548 - 07/02/11 09:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds good! What does vinegar do exactly... just curious

InvisibleCarl Sagan
Time Dilation Analyst

Loc: Myco-tek.org
    #14708567 - 07/02/11 09:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Studies performed in the 1990s showed that rinsing produce in water or even using a detergent does little to remove microbes.  Sumner wanted to find a simple solution for restaurants and other establishments that provide raw salads.  She used simple laundry spray bottles to mist produce with vinegar and then with hydrogen peroxide.  The combination is highly effective and causes little effect on the food's taste.  Which solution is applied first makes no difference, but using the two in combination is key.  "If the acetic acid got rid of 100 organisms," Sumner told Science News Online, "the hydrogen peroxide would get rid of 10,000, and the two together would get rid of 100,000 . . . every [microbe] that drips off is killed."  The combination also effectively cleans cutting boards and kitchen counters.

--------------------
“Sacred cows make the best hamburger”

Mark Twain

Independant Research Foundation

Offlinediatom
Strangler
Male

#14708582 - 07/02/11 09:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Peroxide is great at killing. It will kill bacteria, mold, and fungus.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Questions on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide... [Re: Carl Sagan]
    #14708668 - 07/02/11 09:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Carl Sagan said:
H2O2 is great. Use it at full strength. It comes pre diluted. If you want a super disinfectant
spray the surface with vinegar, then H2O2, but don't mix the two in the same bottle.

It's important to remember that not everyone is in the US where peroxide is sold in brown bottles at 3%.  It's much stronger in some countries.

As for the salad thing, it's a mistake to assume that killing every organism on food is a good thing.  We want to get rid of e coli and like, but not everything.  We don't live in a sterile world.  I doubt that peroxide and vinegar would get rid of pesticide residue, but washing does, and I know that running water will remove e coli and salmonella bacteria from food.  As for killing 100,000 organisms, bear in mind we have more bacteria cells in our bodies than human cells.

To the OP, use peroxide to control cobweb mold, but it has little other benefit.  Some use it as a surface disinfectant, but for sterile work, I prefer to wash my glass table top and surgical gloves with alcohol and/or Lysol.  Never spray peroxide on mycelium without a darn good reason.  It shocks the mycelium, setting it back and leaving an opening for competitors.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinetheallseeingeye
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: Questions on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14708751 - 07/02/11 10:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So basically if your process has not resulted in any contaminants there is no need to use H202... but per-say you saw contaminants on your third flush and instead of throwing away everything you could try this method as a rescue attempt...

OfflineSea_Goat
Strangest

#14708782 - 07/02/11 10:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

theallseeingeye said:
So basically if your process has not resulted in any contaminants there is no need to use H202... but per-say you saw contaminants on your third flush and instead of throwing away everything you could try this method as a rescue attempt...

Yes, but only with cobweb mold.

Offlinetheallseeingeye
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: Questions on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide... [Re: Sea_Goat]
    #14708898 - 07/02/11 10:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, well thank you all for the info!

OfflineJerome09
Alchemist
 User Gallery

#21358845 - 03/03/15 11:07 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Does anyone know anything about this........http://www.mycomasters.com/Advantages-FAQs.html
or any opinions on this technique detailed on that webpage?
It is a technique of growing mushrooms with an unsterilized or even an heated substrate because it uses wood pellets as the substrate, and adds hydrogen peroxide.  The wood pellets do not contain the enzyme that most other substrates contain that breaks down the hydrogen peroxide..

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on the use of Hydrogen Peroxide... [Re: Jerome09]
    #21358867 - 03/03/15 11:14 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jerome09 said:
Does anyone know anything about this........http://www.mycomasters.com/Advantages-FAQs.html
or any opinions on this technique detailed on that webpage?

My opinion......get a PC just to be safe.....or start experimenting.....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck