Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshubrick
Male User Gallery

Greenhouse, humidity, FAE, Pinning
    #14701672 - 07/01/11 12:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've read several posts, including Hyphae's pinning strategy, too many to count of RR, Agar.

My greenhouse is set up the following:
  • I have a 5 gallon bucket of water outside the greenhouse with an ultrasonic mist/fogger on a float.
  • A squirrel fan is pumping polyfil filtered air (into the bucket
  • this bucket is pipped into the green house (similar to Hippiechick, and others)
  • I have another squirrel fan that sucks air out of the greenhouse from the bottom (the plan is to exhaust C02.  This was an idea I saw from one of Agar's posts

I understand that in addition to the correct temperature, FAE, Humidity, pinning occurs when the casing is at or near 100% humidity but through evaporation into less humid air (even if the air is 98%).

But I still have some questions.

1. Regarding FAE, if I were to leave my fans on but have the ultrasonic mister off, wouldn't that put enough FAE into the green house, even if the green house didn't have any slits, or holes?  The green house isn't hermetically sealed so it seems to me that if I'm constantly pumping in fresh air I'm doing it correctly for the mushies.

2. Do any of you with greenhouses have a habit/procedure for introducing your bulk substrate into the green house?  In other words, once you have put casing on your substrate, let it colonize a few days (staments says 5-10 for cubes) what do you do to your green house settings?

Do you set the casings into the green house, get the humidity up to some level (eg., staments says 95-100 for cubes) and depending on automation just leave it? 

3. When you see knotting, or maybe you wait until you see pins, do you cut back on the humidity? Or do you get it up to some level of humidity for a few days, and then drop the humidity as a way to increase evaporation?  Or do you just get it to a reasonable level fitting the parameters (eg., 95%)

I think my problem is I'm a bit confused by what people have written about an "automated" green house when it seems that one needs to monitor where the casing is "at" in terms of its development.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
Re: Greenhouse, humidity, FAE, Pinning [Re: shubrick]
    #14701823 - 07/01/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I have another squirrel fan that sucks air out of the greenhouse from the bottom (the plan is to exhaust C02.  This was an idea I saw from one of Agar's posts

Leave out this fan and just unzip the door of your GH. That and your humidifier will provide enough FAE. The difficulty lies in finding a good time schedule for your coolmist to go on and off.
Do not filter the air to your FC. There is no point in doing this.

Do yourself a favor and do not over-complicate shit. Many new growers wanting to go into green houses tend do overthink everything.
Moreover, there is no need to case, since agar's humidifier set on a proper time schedule will provide enough humidity for your sub.

Here is a good thread if you worry about pinning problems:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14508610&page=0&vc=1#14508610

First you should do a lot more reading on FCs in general and then you might want to ask total, since he is using a FC like this.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

Offlineshubrick
Male User Gallery

Re: Greenhouse, humidity, FAE, Pinning [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #14701926 - 07/01/11 01:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'd like to keep the door zipped. I don't like the humidity in the room. Also, the idea of the exhaust fan came from Agar, so it probably is not a bad idea. Frankly I'm not wedded to it.

I still have a legitimate question about whether the fan is putting enough fae into the green house. The question is as much about understanding what is happening as it is about technique. As far as i know, fae does several things: it move co2 away, brings o2, creates conditions for evaporation, yes? 

Also, the filter is less about contamination and more about keeping dust out of my bucket of water.

Please also understand I'm posting because I've read a lot already. Having said that, I really do appreciate that link.  I will take a look at it to see if it answers my questions.  Thank you.

Edited by shubrick (07/01/11 02:01 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Greenhouse, humidity, FAE, Pinning [Re: shubrick] * 1
    #14702067 - 07/01/11 02:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Generally I'm not to perfect about it. Shoot for 85-95% humidity the whole time. For my greenhouses I do dishtubs like agar, 6-8 at a time. Mix spawn and bulk in one big bin (save some bulk to the side), then split into a few tubs of your choice, make them about 3-4 inches. When colonized put your casing layer on, not to much, maybe 1/2 inch. After about 3 days its usually ready to go for me (because I use a thinner layer then stamets would be), mycelium just poking up all over the casing. So remove foil and put in greenhouse.

I would not have a fan exhausting air if your pumping air in, redundant to me, as you said its not sealed, air will come out of the bottom. Personally I just put the humidifier in the greenhouses on the bottom shelf and put holes all over it. You may want to consider holes. I dont know if I would run the fan to often without the humidifier. Fresh air is key, but it should be humid air. Holes all over would allow humidity and air to escape though so you could run the humidifier with the fan.

I really dont like "fully" automated. You gotta watch your casings, adjust things ect. Once you get things down they need very little checking, but a mist and a check at least once a day is good.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (07/01/11 02:19 PM)

Offlineshubrick
Male User Gallery

Re: Greenhouse, humidity, FAE, Pinning [Re: scatmanrav]
    #14702312 - 07/01/11 03:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you scat. Very thoughtful, responsive, and helpful.

OfflineDemonsmoke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Greenhouse, humidity, FAE, Pinning [Re: scatmanrav]
    #21924952 - 07/10/15 02:57 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Generally I'm not to perfect about it. Shoot for 85-95% humidity the whole time. For my greenhouses I do dishtubs like agar, 6-8 at a time.

Is this humidity vital for agar petri dishes to inoculate? I keep reading that room temperature is the best for the agar dishes. The lack of dismissal of the humidity level makes me wonder and I see very little regarding it after many searches for info.

Edited by Demonsmoke (07/10/15 03:21 PM)

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

Re: Greenhouse, humidity, FAE, Pinning [Re: Demonsmoke]
    #21925185 - 07/10/15 04:08 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Old post bro. He wasn't talking about agar needing that humidity. Agar plates doesn't require environmental controls other than temp.

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds