Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Spawn Bags, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblewildernessjunkieM
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Why.....?
    #14689587 - 06/29/11 02:21 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

If BRF is "Almost too nutritious" (RR). But Rye or WBS is reccomended for bulk substrate. Wouldn't Brown Rice be a better choice then Rye for bulk? Why is one grain better than another (corn excluded)? Seems to me that if the grain is ground and BRF is the best then it shouldnt matter. Why then does Rye become the better choice if kept whole? Does this have to do with moisture retention?

Im confused.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Why.....? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #14689675 - 06/29/11 02:40 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

rye makes it hit from being able to agitate it mid colonization due to the course and texture of it, and how lenient it is on the mycelium network that runs through it... think about kneeding a spawn bag that has partially colonized brf it would be like pressing mash around in a bag. mycelium takes brf a little differently oppose to loose grain that can be agitated and redistributed.

--------------------

Edited by Grungeman17 (06/29/11 02:45 AM)

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why.....? [Re: Grungeman17]
    #14689711 - 06/29/11 02:50 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Any grain with a husk is recommended.  Rice has no husk and when pressure cooked/hydrated it is no longer suitable for colonizing,  many have tried and a few have succeeded but any grain with a husk still will work better.
CH

InvisiblewildernessjunkieM
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why.....? [Re: CH HELL]
    #14689732 - 06/29/11 02:57 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CH HELL said:
Any grain with a husk is recommended.  Rice has no husk and when pressure cooked/hydrated it is no longer suitable for colonizing,  many have tried and a few have succeeded but any grain with a husk still will work better.
CH

Roger that.

Its about the husk then? Is this a moisture retention isssue, or a nutrition issue?

OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Re: Why.....? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #14689757 - 06/29/11 03:03 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

its a texture issue, spreading colonized rye berries> breaking up clumps of brf. one just spreads more even thats all.

--------------------

OfflineUSASpores
Freak of Nature
Male

Re: Why.....? [Re: Grungeman17]
    #14690194 - 06/29/11 06:54 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

If you've tried to colonize whole rice you would understand why grains are recommended. its almost impossible to break up rice to speed up colonization, and when spawning to bulk..other whole grains require aot less effort

--------------------
http://www.gofundme.com/steven-harold-fund

if you donate send me a private message and i'll ship out a free print for helping out a family in need!

Offlinethe astronaut
Male

Re: Why.....? [Re: USASpores]
    #14690584 - 06/29/11 10:06 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Not to be an ass but I use whole brown rice all the time and it works great. The trick is to put some verm in with it to keep it kinda dry. Its cheap readily available at any grocery store. And once its about  1\3 colonized it breaks up a lot easyer than a freshly made jar. Some of my best yields were with whole brown rice cased with verm. I wish more people would try it instead of cutting it short cause it didnt work the first or second try. And I use it cause I have never seen rye berrys at any store Iv shopped at, I know u can find it at health food stores but I dont like going out of my way unless its mandatory.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Why.....? [Re: the astronaut]
    #14690630 - 06/29/11 10:28 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

The size of mushrooms depend on the depth of the substrate regardless of what you spawn the substrate with, pf cakes or whole grains.

The reason grains are most widely used is because of the individual kernel size allows for a wide area of inoculation points into the bulk substrate which allows a higher spawn to bulk ratio. Rye 1:4 WBS 1:6

If you were using pf cakes and you wanted a deep monotub for larger mushrooms then you would require anywhere from 30-40 cakes which can be spawned at a 1:2 ratio.

The other advantage of grain over cakes is the wide array of propagation techniques that can be used to create grain cultures like G2G transfers and agar wedges from isolated cultures. Grain jars also require much less spore solution to be used.

:mushroom2:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Spawn Bags, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation