Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
What hunting guides all neglect...
    #1468736 - 04/17/03 11:42 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I went down to my local race track for the first time ever today. Dunno why I've never looked there before, but I thought I might find some Panaeolus subbalteatus. I didn't, but if I did, it would have been the first time ever.

Anyhoo, it occurred to me that I didn't even know if they're in season or not! I don't know what temperature's they fruit at.

Hunting guides are all missing a temperature guide. They should contain the minimum overnight temperature and maximum daytime temperatue in which the mushrooms are most likely to grow. This is better than saying "In the Fall" or whatever, because that means nothing to anyone outside the US, and I suspect it would be different in different regions of the US anyway.

All I know is that here it's got to be hot for the dung lovers to fruit (cubies and blue meanies). I've heard that it's got to be cold for wood-lovers, but the only figure I've heard is "10 degrees Celsius" (50 F). That's really cold for my region, it would maybe only get that cold at night in the middle of winter. So does that mean they'll fruit here? I don't know.

Anyhoo...see what I mean? :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1468881 - 04/18/03 12:43 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Good point. I wonder if the regional variations are high enough that you couldn't come up with accurate numbers?

Most people think of matsutake as a late summer mushroom which seems to come up near the middle of the fall flush. But I've picked them in mid-October about 1000 feet below timberline while it was snowing, and found a lot of them under those conditions.

Another odd thing which might relate. Monday I was at a lecture by Dr. States. He mentioned that in his studies (he specializes in truffles and false truffles) he has noted that if the year wasn't very good for mushrooms but there's moisture, then the truffle season is exceptional. If the mushroom season was good, then the truffle season isn't, even if there was good moisture.

I guess I'm saying that there seem to be so many variables involved that it may not be possible to give a more detailed description than they do in the books.

Does anybody else have experiences along those lines - hunting in different areas and finding that the rules you learned in one area for finding a species don't work right in another area?

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1469019 - 04/18/03 01:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Shroom seasons vry form year to year but certai8n shrooms have deifinite seasopns. I use to list P. stuntzii as from August to December. Then I found it all year long. Now it is not so common. The first time I found this species was onthe lawn of the Art Muuseum at Volunteer Park ion Capital Hill in Seattle, Washington, long since gone from there.;

It was July 2nd, 1974.

By 1977, I learned it was all over the city.

In 1992, Gartz and I reported it from Eugene, Oregon for the first time that far south of Seattle. Originally it was believed to be a puget sound species.

however, Ott found and reported it from Milwaukee Oregon and fornm Oregon City in Oregon in 1976.

While Cubes and liberty caps have specific seasons, Pn. subbalteatus season is eaafter early spring rains until the hot summer months and again 2hen the months cool off to fall and before a winter freeze.

Of course rain has a lot to do with it as well as composting. haystacks in America ewhich have been left out all winter to rot are good places inthe spring months to find this species.

It is easier if you cut all other species from your mind and look for this specific one. Then eventually yo will wfind it in many places.

A few years ago in England a rather popular racetrack was laid with woodchips and more than 100,000 P. cyanescens mushrooms appeared in the mulch.

Shrooms at different altitudes also have certain similar seasons.

mjshroomer.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1469076 - 04/18/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Your like a walking history book!

Did Ott publish anything regarding the finds in 1976?

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: Joshua]
    #1469151 - 04/18/03 02:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Guzm?n, Gast?n and Jonathan Ott. 1976. Description and chemical analyses of a new species of hallucinogenic Psilocybe from the Pacific Northwest. Mycologia vol. 68(6):1261-1266. November-December.
The taxonomic description of Psilocybe stuntzii Guzm?n and Ott is presented.

mj

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1469160 - 04/18/03 03:02 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I appreciate what you're saying, MJ, but it's exemplifies exactly what I'm talking about.

You say, "Pn. subbalteatus season is eaafter early spring rains until the hot summer months and again 2hen the months cool off to fall and before a winter freeze"

Which is all good for where you are, I'm sure, but what does that mean for Australia? We don't even have a winter freeze. Our spring is probably as hot as your summer and our winter as warm as your autumn (depending on where you live).

I think what's needed is a specific temperature range for different species.

Anonymous

Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1469592 - 04/18/03 09:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: ]
    #1469643 - 04/18/03 09:50 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I think the focus of the identification books are to identify "what you have found" rather than "how to find a particular mushroom."

I think you nit the nail right on the head there.

Anonymous

#1469650 - 04/18/03 09:53 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: What hunting guides all neglect... [Re: ]
    #1469674 - 04/18/03 10:07 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks dude. :smile:

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1470450 - 04/18/03 02:56 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

there are some new soccer fields in town, and I suspect they are fertilized. There are quite a few more LBMs than normal growing on the fields.. Should I be keeping my eyes open for stuntzi? I'm southern interior BC.. pretty similiar climate to spokane, about 3 hours north.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification