Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning
    #1452128 - 04/12/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I've been doing a lot of research lately on inoculating with mycelium water created by blending up a myc sample.

Now, we have all seen four distinct colonies radiating from the inoc points on a cake. These colonies are comprised of spores that have germinated in the substrate and formed a cooperative network comprised of numerous individuals.

My question is this: Can a pure (one set of genes) colony of myc be obtained from taking a sample of one of these colonies? Or, can one assume that this can only be achieved if the sample tissue is taken from a fruit stem?

If one took a small, rhizomorphic sample from one of these colonies, could he increase his chances of getting a colony with the same genes by doing or looking for something special?

From what I've read, yields can be almost doubled if your jars are colonized by a specific individual, as the individual gene set cooperates with "itself."

Your ideas and advice are appreciated

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBigJohnson

Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1464912 - 04/16/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Well, since no has commented, I'd thought I'd let you guys know what I've discovered so far.

There seems to be some debate as to whether or not colonies share genetic information between individuals, just as bacteria do through sharing phages through conjucation tubes. If so, then as the colony matures, the genes of each individual would gradually become more and more like those of the whole colony. Only the favorable genes would be shared most often as cell division would be in favor of better adapted individuals; more cell division = more cells = more genetic material shared. This makes sense, as one would not expect a colony of 1,000 individuals to cooperate well enough to produce anything but very tiny fruits.

So, if we assume that myc colonies are comprised of individual cells that share genes, to create a very cooperative colony, each individual cell should have the same genes as its colonial neighbors. However, as nature takes its course, the colony will become a genetically homogenous group of cells if given enough time.

Following this line of thought, if one cannot obtain a stem sample to clone, any substantial myc sample taken from a young colony may have several different individuals in the beginning but will eventually become genetically "one," for better or for worse.

What are your thoughts?

--------------------

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #1465158 - 04/16/03 08:04 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

well, there are some benefits in the long run for diverse myc. cultures, if a pure strain is used it is more susceptiple to disease/death by contam. because what will kill one part of your culture will kill it all, whereas with a diverse culture you have a better chance that one of the sets of genes will be more able to fend off or be immune to any said attack. in theory, a colony of myc. in a cake will NOT be genetically homogenous, where a fuzzy mess will sprout is where the spores settle/where the spawn lays, and unless it was a pure cultured cake to begin with it is highly unlikely, but not impossible, that the colony is a pure culture.

with spores, keep in mind that a single spore will produce a colony of cells called a monokaryon which will never produce fruits, it takes another compatible monokaryon to encounter, mate, and exchange cytoplasmic and genetic material to produce a dikaryon which IS able to fruit.

i suggest you get yourself an agar kit and play around, the best way for you to learn about this is to see it happening.

-doc

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning [Re: amyloid]
    #1468225 - 04/17/03 05:52 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

well, there are some benefits in the long run for diverse myc. cultures, if a pure strain is used it is more susceptiple to disease/death by contam. because what will kill one part of your culture will kill it all, whereas with a diverse culture you have a better chance that one of the sets of genes will be more able to fend off or be immune to any said attack.

Hey, that's a damn good point. I hadn't thought of that. So, unless you're very sterile, you might just lose everything to that one particular contam that has your individual's number.

Quote:

in theory, a colony of myc. in a cake will NOT be genetically homogenous, where a fuzzy mess will sprout is where the spores settle/where the spawn lays, and unless it was a pure cultured cake to begin with it is highly unlikely, but not impossible, that the colony is a pure culture.

What do you think about the genetic exchange debate? Like, for example, inoc'ing with pans and cubes, same jar, to increase the overall potency?

Quote:

with spores, keep in mind that a single spore will produce a colony of cells called a monokaryon which will never produce fruits, it takes another compatible monokaryon to encounter, mate, and exchange cytoplasmic and genetic material to produce a dikaryon which IS able to fruit.

Again, do you think it would be possible to isolate a pan spore and a cube spore, introduce them to agar, and obtain a dikaryon from the colony? I doubt it, but I suppose it would depend on the number of chromosomes each have. Anyone know where this information can be found?

Quote:

i suggest you get yourself an agar kit and play around, the best way for you to learn about this is to see it happening.

- doc

Good idea!

Thanks for the response :smile:

--------------------

Edited by BigJohnson (04/17/03 08:50 PM)

Anonymous

#1468245 - 04/17/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if i'm understanding mushroom genetics right, only one in 4 pure strains of cubensis is actually capable of fruiting. would this mean that obtaining a pure, fruiting strain of cubensis via cloning would result in substantially better flushes? would it also mean better pinsets?

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning [Re: ]
    #1468357 - 04/17/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

if i'm understanding mushroom genetics right, only one in 4 pure strains of cubensis is actually capable of fruiting. would this mean that obtaining a pure, fruiting strain of cubensis via cloning would result in substantially better flushes? would it also mean better pinsets?

That's the idea. A pure strain, one individual dikaryote, should be better able to cooperate with its own divided cells in the colony to produce some of the biggest fruits and largest flushes possible.

However, there seem to be a lot of factors that may or may not make the effort a success.

--------------------

Offlinemossie
curandero

Loc: dung street
    #1468592 - 04/17/03 08:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if you isolate a strand of rhizomorphic growth from one of your cloned isolates it will be better chances of bigger, even pinsets IMO.

--------------------
Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. -proverbs 15:17

Edited by mossie (04/17/03 08:48 PM)

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning [Re: mossie]
    #1468603 - 04/17/03 08:50 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

if you isolate a strand of rhizomorphic growth from one of your cloned isolates it will be bigger, even pinsets IMO. 

Thanks for the tip :smile:

--------------------

Anonymous

#1468860 - 04/17/03 10:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

but may not fruit. only 1 in 4 pure strains of cubensis is capable of fruiting. rhizomorphs are a good sign, but not a clear indication of fruiting potential. to obtain a pure fruiting strain from spores, one would have to isolate many strains on agar, then try fruiting each one to see if it could fruit. an easier and faster way to get a pure fruiting culture is to clone a fruitbody in my opinion.

OfflineBigJohnson

#1468868 - 04/17/03 10:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't have one to clone from :frown:

I guess I'll have to wait! :smile:

--------------------

Offlinemossie
curandero

#1470428 - 04/18/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if you isolate a rhizo from your cloned fruitbody is what i'm sayin, then it will be the same genetics only stronger.

--------------------
Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. -proverbs 15:17

OfflineBigJohnson

#1470597 - 04/18/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

if you isolate a rhizo from your cloned fruitbody is what i'm sayin, then it will be the same genetics only stronger. 

Gotcha :smile:

--------------------

Anonymous

#1470678 - 04/18/03 02:39 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

same genetics only stronger

how will two things which are identical not be identical?

Offlinemossie
curandero

#1470751 - 04/18/03 03:01 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

well its not scientifically proven to have variations in a pure strain's mycelium, but, IMO, you are promoting only the strongest rhizo growth. i see what you're sayin though.

--------------------

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning *DELETED* [Re: mossie]
    #1471526 - 04/18/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1472300 - 04/19/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineUnknown
Confused,dizzy,wheream I again?
Loc: MA
Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning [Re: Anno]
    #1472474 - 04/19/03 02:17 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

ahahaha,once again,READ THE FAQ,I didn't even expect this one,I was reading the FAQ the other day and it has improved a lot since the last time I looked at it

--------------------
The above is just like,my opinion man

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning [Re: Anonymous]
    #1472561 - 04/19/03 03:19 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

As allways, work in progress.

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: Moved: Multi-Spore vs. Cloning [Re: Anno]
    #1474165 - 04/19/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Substrains interact, and rewire each other

Here's another mention of genetic exchange among fungal colonies.

Can anyone point me to a good book on fungids? I'm looking for something advanced, as I've had all my bio and chem classes.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1474347 - 04/19/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The Mushroom Cultivator
by Paul Stamets

is a must.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order