Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
The key to effective divination according to me
    #1468246 - 04/17/03 08:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

People get discouraged when they get told by wandering gypsies obscur facts about their future and their personality and all that, saying that it's too open-ended and up to interpretation. When you toss your coins with the I Ching you encounter the same problem. You could read ANY section out of that book and it would seem relevant to your life, so it's all crap. People want road maps showing events along their personal future st.

But, of course, maps of your future, like long-term weather predictions, are impossible to make, so divination is a pointless tradition carried through the ages by uneducated rotting-toothed peasants looking for a little hope and relief from their dirty little existences. Well, to that I squint my eyes and ask the italicized questions "Oh really?? Is THAT what divination is?"

Road maps.. of course, you'll never have em. To make a road map of your life you'd need to know every specific factor in your existence: The slope of every hill, the strength of every stream, the height of every mountain, and so on. Geographical maps can be made because the things you are mapping move in geological time. I don't need to convince you that your life is too short and your social circles too volatile to be steady enough to map in any detail. Trying to understand your position in life this way is like picturing what you look like by recalling every gust of wind that messed your hair. It's ridiculous, you need a mirror!

A mirror, I say, eh? Yes, a mirror can tell you where you are the same way a map can.. but not a mirror for your face of course. You need a mirror that can reflect your inner world where you struggle with life's internalized landscape. This is where open-endedness comes in. You read something like a page in the I Ching with the idea in your head that you're learning about where you stand in relation to the process of change in the universe, you reflect parts of your consciousness back at yourself. To achieve this reflection, the divination system you are using has to be as open-ended as possible. Example of the process:

So Jimmy reads or is told by a cackling gypsy that his life is akin right now to the legendary cheetah "Paws." Paws was a tough cheetah but then starved because he always goes after the big antelopes, when he should have been catching rabbits. Upon hearing this, Jimmy thinks "Geez being a race car driver I can see how my life is like the cheetah. I guess instead of winning the bigger tournaments I should stick to the smaller ones."

This is pretty lame example. Obviously Jimmy thinks right away of how he's a racecar driver. But he might not. Depending on what's going on in his life, the cheetah story could never make him think of his racecar driving at all. He might find that interpretations jump into his head about his poor relationship with his dog, even if his dog never crosses his mind in his everyday life.

The point I'm taking too long to make is that with open-ended divination systems, you can see where you are in your life by how you choose to interpret. Whatever jumps in your head at first is going to be there because it's an important factor in your life. I think it's an excellent way to communicate with your subconscious. Hmmm could say more but I gotta go and I think I got across the meat of what I was trying to communicate.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMindTrap
Disembodiedvoice
Loc: It's all in your head...
Re: The key to effective divination according to me [Re: Dogomush]
    #1468259 - 04/17/03 08:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

huh

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: The key to effective divination according to me [Re: MindTrap]
    #1468269 - 04/17/03 08:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You took the word right out of mah mouff.....

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: The key to effective divination according to me [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1469049 - 04/18/03 02:04 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i love cheeto paws!!!!

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology