Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
A note on additives to jars...
    #1467894 - 04/17/03 06:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Greets,
I just wanted to share the result of an experimentation. My initial thought was that adding "nutrient water" (that being the water that rice has been boiled in, high in nutrients, filtered through cheesecloth / coffee filter) to a CASING layer would make for faster growth. I tried this and had huge contam rates. Next, I considered adding this nutrient water to the verm / ground up brown rice I was using to fill my jars with. I boiled one bag of long grain brown rice in 2 gallons of tap water for about 20 minutes, then filtered the water off. I mixed this with the verm/rice mixture. This is the ONLY water I added, undiluted. I filled the jars 3/4th up and added a vermiculte layer. These jars (kept at around 78 degrees) achieved almost 3/4th full colonization within one week. It usually takes around 10-13 days for me to get that far. I'm just now going to be turning them over to make the rest grow. Bottom line, adding nutrient water to the casing material was a lesson learned, adding the nutrient water to the jars, in my opinion, helped growth out. Any thoughts? thanks

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: A note on additives to jars... [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1467931 - 04/17/03 06:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just another note on this, the jars that I added the nutrient mix to, I sterilized at 20psi for 1h30m. I've been told that time could carmalize the sugars etc, but I have no problem with growth. I've also had zero jars contaminated *crosses fingers*

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1468066 - 04/17/03 06:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

wow, for pf jars, this is the way to go-but let us know on yield differences if you get a chance! tx

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: A note on additives to jars... [Re: jakeholman]
    #1468397 - 04/17/03 09:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'll keep ya posted. The last batch got so contam'med that I only got one crappy flush from 40 jars. This batch is doing MUCH better, and my contam rate (in vitro at least) is very low.

--------------------

OfflineRobbyrob
Cubensis seeker

Loc: Earth
    #1468477 - 04/17/03 10:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

good stuff man.. experimintation is the key. let us know whats up1

rob

OfflineTwista
Fire it up
Male

Loc: Central Florida
Re: A note on additives to jars... [Re: Robbyrob]
    #1468626 - 04/17/03 11:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if i can remember correctly, stamets says no nute's in casing layer- casing should just be a buffer for contams and retain moisture for your substrate. This could be another reason why you've gotten contams. My logic tells me that nutes in the casing could easily lead to overlay.

Adding the nute water to the jars strengthens the mycelium and speeds up colonization. Also, you probably put the nute-water in the jars b4 you pc'd, thus sterilizing the nute-water w/ your jars. Did u take any sterile measures when u used it on your casing? Or did u just use it after the initial boiling of the brown rice that made up the nute-water?

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: A note on additives to jars... [Re: Twista]
    #1468660 - 04/17/03 11:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm glad your second go around has been better!

IMO, adding nut' water to jars is the same as adding less water because the water contains hydrated, nutrient particles.

So, basically, you are just adding less water and more, micronized substrate.

But, if you are talking about water high in minerals and water soluble vitamins, that's another story :smile:

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: A note on additives to jars... [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1470385 - 04/18/03 02:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"IMO, adding nut' water to jars is the same as adding less water because the water contains hydrated, nutrient particles."

That was one aspect I was concerned about.  I made sure to "over-moisten".  The jars now are near full colonization and actually have some drops of water on the side of the jar.  For me that shows that they recieved enough water. Any one have thoughs on that?

Twista - The nute water I used on the casing material was prepared as such.  I mixed my casing layer (verm/sphagnum/per/sand).  I then saturated it with nutrient water, put into a cake pan, covered with alum foil and baked for 4 hours @ 250 degrees.  I think that that was not sufficient to sterilize it properly, and having the nutrients from the nutritent water exposed was certaintly a vector for contamination.  Now with that said, I'll also say that my casing had AMAZING mycelial growth.  Things came up very quickly.  Maybe if their was a way to use this nutrient water with the casing mixture and ensure sterility, it would be viable? I think i'm done experiementing with adding things to the casing layer tho, I really want to get a few strong flushes from this one :smile:

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1470877 - 04/18/03 05:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if there are a few drops inside, o well it happens, but you know its the perfect amount when it colonizes the fastest, so if there hasnt been any stalling and they are goin strong then the water content is good-but id go a few drops less next time :grin:
Jake H-Good luck bro

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation