Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Undisclosed at this time.
JOOC, have you done anything like this...?
    #1467134 - 04/17/03 02:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Whilst I was busy hoisting the Jolly Roger over my latest completion of an entirely new set of services for the place I work for, (services due for user-acceptance-level rollout on the 1st of May, and we're already 99% done AHEAD OF SCHEDULE for once!!!) SWIM mentioned the following idea to me, and suggested I post it here:

First, apologies if you've already done something like this - it's so fux0ring elementary that I wouldn't be surprised...The only surprise is it took me this long to think of it.

In mid-seethe at what a fascist police state the US has degenerated into over the last couple of decades, an idea struck me that is just *SO* incredibly obvious and (for the most part) so easy to implement, that I thought it should be shared as broadly as possible with everyone.

Why doesn't everyone (not just this site, but every/any personal site, small business site -- basically everyone who can possibly do so), block the Govt. from viewing their sites...?

For those hosting their server or who have r00t control (or at least enough to do apache configs), adding .GOV & .MIL domains & the like in a DENY directive in httpd.conf would probably be the most straightforward...For those without such access, if running mod_perl enabled apache, the following would be an easy one to implement; the mod_perl version (w/a smattering of OO perl in it) is in txt format  here .

However, for those not using mod_perl, but who *do* have the ability to execute CGI scripts outside of their ScriptAlias dir (rare for most vanilla, run-of-the-mill hosting services where someone is just renting a few megs of HD space, I'm sure), here is a non mod_perl version .

Now, I'm aware that simply sticking in that little

if ($ENV{'REMOTE_HOST'} =~ /.gov|.mil/i )

is, of course, easy to defeat - I mean, forging HTTP headers is retardedly easy, I am *acutely* aware, believe me...But, for the most part, 99% of Govt. employees are, well, stupid, and would probably not think twice about a site being unavailable, merely shrugging, and returning to their cud-chewing.

IOW, the internet as THEY know it could suddenly...Shrink...A little bit...Muwahahahah....

In that the petty-minded power-tripping tyrants who are so hellbent on enforcing their puritanism on everyone else are also predominantly much lower-IQ'd than your average non-human primate, I suspect that, to some degree, they mostly only think about what they see.

If they don't *see* sites offensive to their dour, priggish sensibilities, they won't think about them as much; if they don't THINK about them as much, they won't be THINKING ABOUT TRYING TO BAN or prosecute them that much; ergo, perhaps a wee bit less scrutiny/legislation in that direction...?

Overly optomistic?  Actually no - merely kicking the idea around.  I don't actually think it would help that much, but figured, WTF, might as well share it.

While I'm aware this is far from perfect (e.g., the same Govt. employee could easily get to the site from, say, their home dialup connection, if they had one that was non-govt. - that, and header-based restrictions are easily sidestepped by anyone with even a marginal bit of knowledge)  I'd love to hear any/all suggestions anyone else might have regarding furthering this kind of tactic, making it more complete...That, and any/all ideas anyone has to make it more universally usable by those with a lesser measure of control over their hosting configs.

Hope someone finds this of some use.

ps:  Oh, and those scripts are 100% copylefted.  Do what you like with them.  And, yes, I know their formatting sux0rs (hey, SWIM doesn't have ALL the time in the world, ok?  Functionality first; prettification, later, as SWIM always says :wink:
pps:  you can test how well this works by swapping in .net or .com instead of .mil, then visit it yourself.  No brainer there, I know, but worth mentioning. 

"There are no angels unless they are Angels of Death...And I would never again doubt my place among them or lose my resolve to serve in their wild ranks."         
                                                            -T. Ligotti

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

Re: JOOC, have you done anything like this...? [Re: YSJ]
    #1467266 - 04/17/03 02:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

what i think is funniest is when people with military ISPs are viewing this place.

that's awesome.

Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: JOOC, have you done anything like this...? [Re: YSJ]
    #1467686 - 04/17/03 04:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback