Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFunkey
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Europe
Q's about growing on logs
    #1466908 - 04/17/03 12:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hello everybody,
I just recieved 2 birch logs and 1 willow log. :laugh: They are all around 1feet high and 1 feet tall. They are all 1 to 2 weeks old. Leaves were allready growing on the tree again when it was taken down. I want to inocculate them with oystermushrooms. :tongue:
A few questions:
1) Is it a problem that the trees the logs came from, weren't in their resting period anymore?
2) Can I just use colonised straw or colonised sawdust to put in the holes that were drilled in the log instead of dowels? Of coarse I will cover the holes with beeswax afterwards.
3) Do I have to soak the logs before or after inocculating them.
4) Is it still a good time to inocculate or is it allready to late in the year?

Thanks to everyone, especially those who can answer 1, 2, or more of my questions. :wink: 

--------------------
SING WHILE YOU MAY...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
Re: Q's about growing on logs [Re: Funkey]
    #1467084 - 04/17/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I do not think it is overly critical that the leaves have come out. It might not be optimal, but it is not critical. As far as inoculating with straw instead of dowel, I do not think that is critical either, oysters are vigorous and you are likely to have some success regardless. However, it might be a pain in the ass shoving straw into the holes. Do you already have the straw colonized? If so you might try cutting the logs into haves and sandwiching the staw between the halves and covering them them up for about a month. It will be faster than stuffing straw in the holes. Then bury the halves about half way in the ground. Belium is pretty wet no? So you probably do not have to soak them, just wait for the correct temps. Good luck. I am sure you will get more great advice from the other members soon

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

InvisibleBigBlackNinja
7hoe7

Loc: CA
Re: Q's about growing on logs [Re: r05c03]
    #1472068 - 04/19/03 01:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the sandwich tha tr05c03 talks about is a good way, make sure tha the two halves are secured tightly to eachother sqeezing the spawn. another way is to cut little wedges out of the sides of the side of the logs, putting spawn in there, then putting the wedge back over that and nailing it over the spawn, hard to expain. if you don't get it ill draw a picture

--------------------
"your gunna have a bankroll so big its gunna look like your pockets got the mumps" -the mack

InvisibleBigBlackNinja
7hoe7

Re: Q's about growing on logs [Re: BigBlackNinja]
    #1472080 - 04/19/03 01:39 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the yellow would be the spawn, should use sawdust, could use straw or anything eles. you can bury the bottem of the log and have it verticle so it can draw up moisture from the ground, if yoru doin this low matenince and outdoors.

and you would nail the wedges cut out into the log to hold the spawn in place.

--------------------
"your gunna have a bankroll so big its gunna look like your pockets got the mumps" -the mack

OfflineFunkey
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1472480 - 04/19/03 04:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a lot guys! I will make more collonised straw and do it BigBlackNinja's way.
I'll let you know when the first shrooms show up.

--------------------
SING WHILE YOU MAY...

InvisibleBigBlackNinja
7hoe7

Re: Q's about growing on logs [Re: Funkey]
    #1473035 - 04/19/03 01:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

no way im takin credit for that, ive never done it, i just read it in one of stamets books a while ago. also i think the way you were talking about drilling holes then putting the spawn in there, then waxing over it would work, just take a while to put it in all the holes, but if yoru spawn is small enough it should be fine, and if you make your holes bigger then the 5/16 dowels (i think its 5/16)

--------------------

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
    #1473280 - 04/19/03 03:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have treid three ways. Plug inoculation, "sandwhich" inoculation, and one that I though would be easy and quick where I put deeps cuts in the logs and stuff the spawn in there (but I did not cut the logs entirely through. The first method worked well, and was most successful when I waxed over the holes. I would only try this with dowel or sawdust spawn, and even with those it takes a long time. The sandwhich method has worked for me too. It is quick and easy, you just need to keep things moist while the mycelium is recovering from inoculation and entering the log. The third method worked not at all. The spawn washed out in the rain. It might work if the cuts were stuffed with spawn and then waxed.

I would suggest black ninga's method or the sandwhich methos, they are quite similar.

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
Re: Q's about growing on logs [Re: r05c03]
    #1478950 - 04/21/03 02:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think the easiest method is to just put 1-2 logs in a plastic bag with some spawn in it and roll the log in the spawn to distribute it evenly. Tie the bag up and punch holes in it all over. let sit for about 3 months in a dark place.
This is what i have done.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms