Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedmc_illz
Modest Newcomer
Loc: Suburbia
Another New Incubator (pics)
    #1465270 - 04/16/03 10:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Materials:

3 autoclavable bags
9 plastic paper delivery bags
A plastic bin
A waterbed heater.

I only suggest this application if you have an extra waterbed heater laying around.

What I did:

My neighbor is a paper carrier for the local newspaper. He gets those plastic protective bags that cover your newspaper by the thousands. Went over and asked him if he could spare some, he did. If you dont have a nice neighbor, just save the bags up, or use a substitute. A breadbag may work, as long as it doesnt have any leaks.

I overlaped three plastic bags to form one thick bag that had three layers of plastic. Once this was accomplished, I filled the innermost bag with water and tied it off. Remember to leave some extra room for the bag to adjust. I took the rim of the second bag and tied it, thus creating a seal around the first bag which has a tied seal holding the water. I tied the third bag. After this was done, I put the hug water log into a long autoclavable bag and sealed the end. You can do this with one of those suction packagers or by heating a rod and running it across the plastic to melt the mouth of the bag. If you decide to do this, make sure the rod isnt too hot and has a rounded end to it. Brush across the bag very quickly, otherwise you will melt through.

I repeated the above process two more times to make a total of 3 bags. As you can see, any container that holds water and can absorb heat, will probably work.

I spoke to the salesperson at a local waterbed retailer and he mentioned other people asking about alternate uses for a waterbed heater and generally, they will burn up and create a fire hazard if not applied under a thick layer of water. So, I tried to simulate a mini waterbed with the bags.

In the bottum of the container, I put a half inch of perlite layer. I then put the waterbed heater over the perlite and put the three bags over the waterbed heater, over the bags I just put a peice of cardboard to lay the jars on.

Works great, I melted a hole into the side of the container for cords, I have the heat adjustment element on the outside of the box as well as a sensor/thermometer.

Its not the most simple way, nor the most safe, but i didnt spend a damn dime doing it.

Have fun, be creative, be safe.

Inoculated those jars the other day with some PR spores which I got from FSRNW, got my spores within 4 days of sending the mail! Awesome, thanks alot guys, look forward to helping the cause in the near future.

I've placed the jars in the incubation chamber last night. I have the heater turned up all the way (100 F) and a therm on top of the cardboard reads 84.

My house is really cold, so this is a must. Also, waterbed heaters are ussually pretty big, so your gonna be making a decent sized incubation chamber.

IMPORTANT!: Make sure that all the surface area of the waterbed heater is covered with a water layer, otherwise they get really HOT, HOT, and create an enormous fire hazard. Monitor your chamber closely in the first 8 hours of operation, checking it every 20 mins is recommended.

--------------------
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23682 - Level 4

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetastyshroom
Mr.Shroom
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Another New Incubator (pics) [Re: dmc_illz]
    #1465657 - 04/17/03 12:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

DMC!!!!

--------------------
Perspective on life always changes

OfflineRed_White_and_Brainwashed
Viva larevalution

Loc: Where the ones are always...
Re: Another New Incubator (pics) [Re: tastyshroom]
    #1480300 - 04/21/03 10:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice, DIY

--------------------
Behold the power of Sponch!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation