Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Shoulder injury (info needed)
    #14652643 - 06/22/11 06:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well. 2 days ago I was working in the gym. I did dumbell bench press, bent over dumbell rows, kipping pullups, and some pushups.

The only thing I remember feeling weird is this. When I was doing bent over rows using 40 lb dumbells I, at one point, lifted and felt a discomfort in my left shoulder. Like my left shoulder was too weak or the load was too heavy or something. It was when I was nearing full retraction of my lats and the dumbells were near my abs. The feeling was not pain though. It was discomfort.

Now, today, and last night in bed I have a strange situation. I can move my arm in a 360 degree rotation without any pain but when I sit down and rest my arm it tinges with pain every once in a while. The pain is in my shoulder and it kind of runs down through my forearm a little. Its not a terrible pain but its enough to make me worry.

I really need to go at this the correct way. I dont want to fuck my shoulder up for life.

What could be my problem? I have never done rehab before. Do I have to stop lifting completely? Any info please?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethodub

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: XUL]
    #14652914 - 06/22/11 08:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

May have been lifting too much weight or incorrect form...this has happened to my shoulders before usually hurts for like 2 or 3 days then the pain goes away but it sucks because for that breif time period you cant lift as much weight or put too much stress on it cause it will hurt a lot and take longer to go away

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: thodub]
    #14652927 - 06/22/11 08:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thodub said:
May have been lifting too much weight or incorrect form...this has happened to my shoulders before usually hurts for like 2 or 3 days then the pain goes away but it sucks because for that breif time period you cant lift as much weight or put too much stress on it cause it will hurt a lot and take longer to go away

Did you heal up properly?

Invisiblethodub

#14652938 - 06/22/11 08:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#14652956 - 06/22/11 08:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thodub said:
yeah

Its definitely in my shoulder. I just lifted a computer up infront of me a couple times to see how it felt. I could feel discomfort in my left shoulder. The muscle right in front.

How do you recommend resting? How long?

I know that doctors will tell you to go 6-8 weeks for a strain or tear.

Do you think that is necessary? Like I said its not terrible but its definitely something.

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#14652960 - 06/22/11 08:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

pretty good advice from thodub

If you feel any tingling feelings be worried.  Soreness is good.

--------------------
★★

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: the human abstract]
    #14652982 - 06/22/11 09:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

the human abstract said:

so I should probably lay off for a week or so? Well. I guess I dont even need to ask. Its common sense.

Thanks for the replies.

malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#14653043 - 06/22/11 09:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

There's a difference between being hurt and injured

--------------------
★★

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#14653268 - 06/22/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

the human abstract said:
There's a difference between being hurt and injured

care to explain?

P.S. Im not sore. I have a minor tinge. Thats my problem.

Offlinedon_vedo
MerKaBa
Male

Loc: 5th dimension
    #14654688 - 06/22/11 03:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If it were me, I would lay off of it for a couple weeks and then after that time start back with bodyweight movements to help rehab it back. You dont want to mess with shoulders if they are in pain, the rotator cuff and shoulder joint in general is very fragile, and you definitely have the chance to screw it up for good. a few weeks is definitely worth a lifetime of struggles, although it is probably not a serious injury it is better to e safe then sorry.

I have personally had some weird shoulder issues where I was having no pain but a total loss in strength and movement; turned out being a severe pinched nerve but it was definitely a pain in the ass to deal with. Point is, give it time don't be foolish and try and write it off as nothing.

Lah'Kesh

--------------------
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us all. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: don_vedo]
    #14656013 - 06/22/11 07:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This kinda thing starts happening as we get older :wink:  Sounds like you strained a muscle, or maybe something to do with a tendon/ligament/cartilidge/who knows.  I would rest, use ice for any swelling, maybe Ibuprofin for pain.  If it doesn't improve within a few days, I might see a doctor, shoulders can be wierd, but I get strange pains all the time these days, its not uncommon.

Thats a pretty dangerous type of exercise to be pushing yourself very intensely on.  In the past I have hurt myself doing stuff like that, not saying this is you, but make sure you have good form.  I find its better to undershoot the weight and do more reps.

Focus on something else until you feel better.:thumbup:

Edited by moonrockmushy (06/22/11 07:04 PM)

Offlinedon_vedo
MerKaBa
Male

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #14656460 - 06/22/11 08:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

moonrockmushy said:
good form.

Is definitely the key to lifting! :thumbup:

Lah'Kesh

--------------------
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us all. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#14656509 - 06/22/11 08:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Quote:

the human abstract said:

so I should probably lay off for a week or so? Well. I guess I dont even need to ask. Its common sense.

Thanks for the replies.

If you're just lifting for your own benefits i would take it easy.  A lot of stretching with bands and light walks.  If you are training for an event or with a team, say rugby, you're able to train hurt.

A mandatory stretch for me is the band rotator cuff stretches.. Even if I would be working lower body that day I will do at least 1 minute of these.

I do these, lunges and bridge ups for 20 minutes before i start lifting.  These work all those tiny muscles that can cause huge problems if they don't keep up with your the rest of your expanding muscles.

--------------------
★★

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#14656775 - 06/22/11 09:41 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hey thanks for all the support and replies guys. It means alot.

Offlinephantomstranger
Stranger

#14657532 - 06/23/11 12:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It doesn't sound too serious maybe a pinched nerve or something. Just get some rest and don't go too heavy for a while. Shoulders are very complicated joints and it's better to be safe than sorry.

I strained my rotator cuff (I think? never went to the doc). It didn't hurt until I tried to lift. Kept me out of the gym for almost a year.

--------------------

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: phantomstranger]
    #14657565 - 06/23/11 12:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's a triggerpoint, a myfascial adhesion/knot that is marked by referral pain patterns(like down the arm). You need massage/soft tissue therapy

If you're confidant you can work it out yourself, I'd say go for it. Hit all the rotator cuff muscles, and work the delt. I dont mean lifting, I mean rubbing them like you're tenderizing steak with your hands.

Rotator cuff muscles are Supraspinatus, withing the ridge on the top of the scapula, Infraspinatus, the muscle overlaying the scap, Teres Minor, which connects from the lateral edge of the scap to to the greater tubercle of the humerus, and the Subscapularis, which is actuall sandwiched between the scap and your rib cage.

The subscap will be the trickiest to reach, so here's what you do:

Sit in a chair, and lean forward. let the arm your working on to dangle between your legs, or rest on the opposite side's leg. with your other hand, sink your fingers into your SIDE under the armpit, as in a few inches toward your hip away from the armpit. Make sure you sink your finger til you get to your rib cage, then slide back to get under the scapula.

Also, if you're reading this thread and you lift, I would recommend working that muscles. Chances are it has NEVER been worked in your life, and you need it.

Try to identify the source of the pain. just prod and knead your arm and shoulder until you find a thick cord or pustule in the muscle tissue that is hypersensitive.

IF you'd like any assistance, I'd be glad to help out more and provide treatment help. I'm licensed to do bodywork in all 50 states, so I'm not just guessing here.

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: Azure Essence]
    #14657569 - 06/23/11 12:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Also, our body has this incredible ability to numb ourselved to pain after about 18 months dealing with an issue.

Taking time off is good, but shouldnt be your only treatment option. Often times, we just become used to the pain(like listening to white noise for extended periods of time), and it isnt necessarily gone.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: Azure Essence]
    #14658344 - 06/23/11 08:13 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for that reply. I sent you a PM.

Offlinedon_vedo
MerKaBa
Male

#14659529 - 06/23/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Azure definitely knows his shit, are you a massage therapist brother or just really interested in the topic?

Lah'Kesh

--------------------

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Re: Shoulder injury (info needed) [Re: don_vedo]
    #14659681 - 06/23/11 01:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Massage is a part of what I do, but I do structural integration(working with connective tissue and fascia) as well as manual ligament therapies as well.

I guess my legal title is 'Licenced Massage Practitioner', but like I said massage is really only a part of what I do in terms of bodywork.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom