Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
The Value Of Life
    #1464478 - 04/16/03 06:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I had an argument with my grandmother (christian, so I guess it makes sense :/) about the value of life.

It's my personal belief that there is NO value to life, except what the mind creates. Therefore, I choose not to kill anything unless I have to, no person, no bug, no animal, etc. Or if its a part of my natural body cycles.

She claims a human life is more valuable than the life of say, a cockroach.

My argument is that the value of life cannot be determined because the value itself is an illusion. Its all what you percieve.

She is okay with killing a cockroach, or an ant, simply because its "not human". I asked her specifically what a human has that a cockroach doesnt that makes its measurement of life importance higher. Was it intelligence, creaitivity, consciousness, what in her mind makes the human more "important"

She couldnt answer of course, except with "its not human" basically.

Does anyone know what Im getting at?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: The Value Of Life [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1464531 - 04/16/03 06:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I disagree. I think there is something fundamentally different between animals and humans. Human life IS more valuable, in my opinion.

Why? the answer is in something you said:

It's my personal belief that there is NO value to life, except what the mind creates.

What other creature has a mind that can "create" value?

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: The Value Of Life [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1464552 - 04/16/03 06:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

but I fail to see how intelligence OR consciousness has any role in the measurement of life importance?

A retard then, who is hardly aware of his existence, his life is less valuable? I dont mean in the real world, I mean the life itself

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1464597 - 04/16/03 06:46 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

but I fail to see how intelligence OR consciousness has any role in the measurement of life importance?

That's not what I meant, because that would mean that a creature that is more intelligent, or "more conscious" is more valuable. It's not a continuous scale. There are breaks... I was asserting that there is something fundamentally different between animals and humans, just as there is something fundamentally different between plants and animals. This thing... I don't know what it is, or at least I can't describe it in words... it's an evolutionary spark, not just intelligence or awareness, but something more...

A retard then, who is hardly aware of his existence, his life is less valuable? I dont mean in the real world, I mean the life itself

It's not my place to decide which human life is more valuable.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1464642 - 04/16/03 07:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My argument is that the value of life cannot be determined because the value itself is an illusion. Its all what you percieve.

All value is an illusion. Everything is what you perceive.

Value is something that humans created; something which we measure with money. Different people value different things, and it is difficult to really "measure" the value of something that you couldn't buy with money. Perhaps your grandmother values human life more than a cockroach's because it takes a lot of money to raise a human in the world we live in. And she is obviously biased by her membership in the human species, as well.

I personally feel that we need to step back from this capitalistic view of value, though, and realize that a cockroach's life is just as amazing and valuable as ours. We need to realize that "value," as we think of it, is something that is made up. It is fake. Everything is equally valuable if you look at it objectively, and objectivity is key.

Peace out,

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology