Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMarooned
Stranger
Low Humidity?
    #1463615 - 04/16/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

II'm using a large plastic container, purchased from Wal-Mart, to birth my cakes in. I've put about two inches of perlite in the bottom. I've experimented with the water levels, at times being about one inch, at others, just wetting the perlite, and draining out any excess. I'm using a thermometer/humidity guage I purchased from Wal-Mart as well. It only registers around 90% humidity. I'm willing to write this off as incorrect, as I've heard they can be, because the sides and top of the container I'm using have moisture all over them. Problem is, of the mushrooms that have grown out of my cakes so far, they are all white, which means that mycelium is growing on the outside, which is a symptom of low humidity, correct? Does this mean that those mushrooms are no good, or should not be eaten? Suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Low Humidity? [Re: Marooned]
    #1463769 - 04/16/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

your humidity is not too low. if anything, it's too high.

your humidity gauge is off. alot of humidity gauges you buy are gonna be inaccurate. they're not really important though for growing cakes with perlite humidification because the perlite's gonna keep that humidity up around 100%.

if you've get wet perlite in there, and your walls are dripping wet, your humidity is close to 100%. don't worry about that humidity gauge.

mycelium growing up the stems of mushrooms is actually a symptom of excessive humidity. it's not a problem, it doesn't mean you can't eat the mushrooms. i can't think of a reason why it'd be detrimental, except that it's nasty to look at and can rot easily...

to adjust your humidity down a tad for fruiting, try cracking the lid on your terrarium a little after pins have formed.

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: Low Humidity? [Re: ]
    #1463785 - 04/16/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

^^^

So a good way to lower humidity in a perlite set-up would be to let some air out.....so like making a few small holes in the container would be a good idea to try to lower the humidity? Am I correct?

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Anonymous

Re: Low Humidity? [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1463795 - 04/16/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yes.

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: Low Humidity? [Re: ]
    #1463803 - 04/16/03 12:51 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

coolio.....now that solves my problem :smile:

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies