Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehermandamerman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Pftek jars started, delay in shipping of spores. Issues?
    #14632985 - 06/18/11 10:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hello all. New to the mycology game. Ordered some spore syrenges on Wednesday. I went ahead and started about 15, half pint jars Thurday night thinking that I could knock that portion out while I waited for the spores to get here. Now I can only guess that this was a newB mistake, but I thought I coil get away with rolling the dice.

What I did was:

Boiled 15 of my 24, half pint jars and also the lids in a pot filled with tap water with a few table spoons of bleach for close to an hour. I thought this might help reduce any contamination that could have been in the jars even though they came straight out of the package.

I then mixed 3.5 US cups of verm with enough water to saturate. I started out with one cup of water, but that wasn't enough so added little by little until it was completely saturated, making sure that there wasn't so much water as to where there was water run off.

Then came one US cup of brown rice flour and mixed thoroughly.

I filled each cup up to aprox. A half inch from the top of the jar and wiped that part of the jar clean and filled the rest with dry verm. I put the lids on upside down and put transpore tape over the 4 holes. Then I put all the jars into a canning pot and filled the bottom with water and boiled the water for an hour and a half and let the pot cool over night.

I found out that due to a postal strike in Canada, supplies of my retailer have been delayed and so my order will not be shipped until Monday. I payed for 3-5 day shipping, so I may not receive my order until late next week.

The questions and concerns are that since I rolled the dice and started my jars before I can even inoculate them, will they go bad before I get my shipment? Are there ways to prevent them from going bad if I did mess up by starting the jars too early?

I have plenty of verm and brown rice if that is the case. I went ahead and put two of the jars into my incubator as an experiment in seeing if my sterile procedure was performed well enough to prevent any contamination. I figure if the rest of the jars are a loss, then atleast I can learn from this still by putting them in the incubator.

If anyone has some guidance or thoughts on my troubled first start, I am open to all criticism. Thank you for you time and reading my long explanation. I tried to give enough info so as to keep from having to answer questions that would prolong the responses I'm looking for. Thank you all again for helping this noob out.
Too late for inoculation next week?
You may choose many

Votes accepted from (06/18/11 03:17 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
I am a Noob. Can't help it. Try and forgive me for any NewB mistakes or comments. Lol and if you would like to mentor me, PM me please.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinequebus
Stranger

Re: Pftek jars started, delay in shipping of spores. Issues? [Re: hermandamerman]
    #14633052 - 06/18/11 10:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You have 12 hours from assembling BRF/VERM to boil or PC them.  This jar has contam and not myc.  I waited four days before attempting to PC them (daughter home from school so I have to just wait).  Went to get them and I was shocked at how fast the contam set in and colonized.  If you see any of this - trash the jars.

Had I PC'd it right away - it would have been fine for a few days.  You should be ok but let others weigh in.  Oh - stop improvising on the tek.  Just follow it :mushroom2:

Offlinehermandamerman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Pftek jars started, delay in shipping of spores. Issues? [Re: quebus]
    #14633128 - 06/18/11 10:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Just a quick question. Where did I improvise on the tek? Not sure I follow you there.

--------------------
I am a Noob. Can't help it. Try and forgive me for any NewB mistakes or comments. Lol and if you would like to mentor me, PM me please.

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pftek jars started, delay in shipping of spores. Issues? [Re: hermandamerman]
    #14633152 - 06/18/11 10:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The weird thing is, if you properly sterilize a BRF cake
with a dry verm barrier, then it can sit quietly without
contaminating for weeks and weeks.

I would likely start over though, as the cost is not much.

Good luck,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

OfflineMyxomycota
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14633167 - 06/18/11 11:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you were successful in achieving sterility in your jars, then hypothetically, assuming there is nothing coming in or coming out of jars, that is, tape is on, no messing with them et cetera.. Then you should hypothetically be able to wait indefinitely till inoculation?
If nothing else, waiting a few days should provide you good evidence as to whether you achieved sterility in your first step.
Just my .02$
If you are really tripped out, fucking throw 'em in the canner one more time for another hour and a half, and then again right after you get your spores. I dont really think it will make a difference though.

Offlinehermandamerman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Pftek jars started, delay in shipping of spores. Issues? [Re: Myxomycota]
    #14634722 - 06/18/11 05:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Wow. Thanks all for the great advice. Answered my questions completely. Couldn't have asked for better responses

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom