Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestevenferris
Stranger

help quick! freezing mushrooms question
    #14630824 - 06/18/11 12:12 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

so heres my problem, its really hard to fan dry for 24 to 48 hours in my situation, however i did try fan drying a small bit of my mushrooms for aprox. 18 hours, and were still a little bendy so i put them in an airtight jar with a couple silica packets and (and checking them a day later) they actually drew moisture to the surface of the mushrooms, not really helping dry them at all. any advice???

okay so heres my question ik if you freeze the mushrooms theyll turn to goo when thawing out. but can i freeze them, and take them out while theyre still frozen chop them up and eat them? will they lose potency? these arent really meant for anyone else besides me so i dont mind them being frozen please help. thanks.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYouKnowEdDavis
Lurker Aficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: i ain't tellin you NUFFIN...
Re: help quick! freezing mushrooms question [Re: stevenferris]
    #14630920 - 06/18/11 12:35 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

noooooo!!!! not silica packets! like the kind that come in new shoes?! 

you can make your own silica pouches out of this stuff and empty (unused) teabags (re-stapled shut)
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/silgelflowdr.html?cmp=froogle&kw=silgelflowdr

fan dry again, as long as possible. lay some (can never be too much) of that silica in the bottom of a tupper ware, then cover with a paper towel (or some screen, i prefer that). then lay you mushies in there, and close the lid for like 2 days. separate them as they dry, dont stack them, or let them touch.

making the pouches is for long term storage, where you just put them in the bottom of your GLASS jar, then a paper towel, then your mushies.

do not freeze bendy mushies! not a good idea. dry the fuck outta them with a fan, then do the silica bed thing till they are cracker dry, then store them with a couple homemade pouches in the freezer.

oh, what ever you do, DO NOT let your mushies come in contact with the silica.....thats a ReALlY rEalLLY bad idea!!!!

--------------------

Offlinestevenferris
Stranger

Re: help quick! freezing mushrooms question [Re: YouKnowEdDavis]
    #14630932 - 06/18/11 12:39 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

ahh damn and i just bought a package of 30 silica packets :/ oh well i guess lol. well thank you alot i really appreciate it. i guess thats why the silica packets didnt help much. ill try to fan as long as possible. as far as freezing would that affect it any if i froze them immediately or even after a day of fanning then ate them?

OfflineSWIM Jr
SWIM SWAM

Loc: In The Pool Flag
    #14630941 - 06/18/11 12:41 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Fresh can be frozen in concentrated fruit juice. It can be blended into a smoothy and stored in the freezer for years. Vitamin C can be added as a preservative.

--------------------
I am mighty tighty whitey, and I am smuggling grapes.

OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Loc: South Park Colorado
Re: help quick! freezing mushrooms question [Re: SWIM Jr]
    #14630962 - 06/18/11 12:47 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Dont freeze whole shrooms until they are dry. Wet ones will turn to mush if you freeze em. I fan dry for at least 24 hours then put them in a desication chamber, I use drierite as a desiccant. I really like that smoothy idea btw swim I'll have to try that

--------------------
"Snow is like sex. You never know how much your gonna get or how long it's gonna last"

OfflineYouKnowEdDavis
Lurker Aficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14630983 - 06/18/11 12:54 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

hmmmmm.....i'd rather see you eat them fresh. but obviously, they are best dried COMPLETELY, for dosing and such, ya know.

but to freeze fresh mushrooms?...i dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, so i'm not going to be able to answer that.  :shrug:

heres what i do, fuck fanning. i have a small heater, the grill on it is maybe 6 by seven (inches). and it blows horizontally.
i took a big 5 quart ice cream container, like the ones that are cheap and usually like fudge swirl or neo-pal-a-ton(sp), and i put a billion holes in it, but not on the bottom.  1/4 bit works wonders, and you can do it by hand (bit and vice grips).

ok, now i cut the bottom out. i leave about a inch, inch and half lip on it for stability. now, remeber how i said i prefer the screen? thats where it comes in handy AGAIN. cut some strips of it, uh, 4 inches wide. then split the ends so they can be fed through a couple of the holes you made.

in essence, we're looking to make little hammocks for your mushies to lay in while they dry. and, cuz its screen, it does build up too much heat. i used a thermometer (be sure to do that FIRST) and on the lowest setting, it only gets about 90 directly in front of the grill on the heater, which is perfect.

ok, so with the open side of the ice cream bucket (the top) facing the heater, and the hammocks horizontal with bucket on its side, i just load 'em up, and turn it on.

do you kinda get what im sayin? feel free to ask any question, i'm gonna do a write up on it SOMEDAY, so for now, all you get is my words.

--------------------

OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Loc: South Park Colorado
    #14630991 - 06/18/11 12:56 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

YouKnowEdDavis said:
hmmmmm.....i'd rather see you eat them fresh. but obviously, they are best dried COMPLETELY, for dosing and such, ya know.

but to freeze fresh mushrooms?...i dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, so i'm not going to be able to answer that.  :shrug:

heres what i do, fuck fanning. i have a small heater, the grill on it is maybe 6 by seven (inches). and it blows horizontally.
i took a big 5 quart ice cream container, like the ones that are cheap and usually like fudge swirl or neo-pal-a-ton(sp), and i put a billion holes in it, but not on the bottom.  1/4 bit works wonders, and you can do it by hand (bit and vice grips).

ok, now i cut the bottom out. i leave about a inch, inch and half lip on it for stability. now, remeber how i said i prefer the screen? thats where it comes in handy AGAIN. cut some strips of it, uh, 4 inches wide. then split the ends so they can be fed through a couple of the holes you made.

in essence, we're looking to make little hammocks for your mushies to lay in while they dry. and, cuz its screen, it does build up too much heat. i used a thermometer (be sure to do that FIRST) and on the lowest setting, it only gets about 90 directly in front of the grill on the heater, which is perfect.

ok, so with the open side of the ice cream bucket (the top) facing the heater, and the hammocks horizontal with bucket on its side, i just load 'em up, and turn it on.

do you kinda get what im sayin? feel free to ask any question, i'm gonna do a write up on it SOMEDAY, so for now, all you get is my words.

I've always read that heat is bad for potency, what's your thought on that with this method?

--------------------
"Snow is like sex. You never know how much your gonna get or how long it's gonna last"

OfflineYouKnowEdDavis
Lurker Aficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: help quick! freezing mushrooms question [Re: King Cap]
    #14631008 - 06/18/11 01:02 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

ive read that a thousand (million) times too!

i experience no loss in potency. maybe because my heater only gets to 90? or maybe because i dont leave them in front of it FOREVER?

ive even heard of folks drying in the oven with the door open :hotidea: now THATS something i dont agree with.

im sure to rotate them as they dry on one side, then take them out when they get to be done (slightly bendy)

different strains always act differently, ya know. but compared to fresh, ive never noticed a potency drop using this method.
(which is nice :willynilly:)

thank you SO much for asking! i feel honored not to just get flamed for a preschool tek!

--------------------

Offlinestevenferris
Stranger

Re: help quick! freezing mushrooms question [Re: King Cap]
    #14631013 - 06/18/11 01:04 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

ive read the same, and i understand its bad for dosing but this is temp. untill i buy a dehydrator. right now i just happen to have a batch that is hard to fan dry and i would HATE to waste them, so my thought was freezing them immediately taking them out when ready tossing em in the blender and sticking with the blender idea lol.
but thanks mucho for the advice, im glad i found that out about the silica packets or i would lost alot more than just one itty bitty mushroom

OfflineYouKnowEdDavis
Lurker Aficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14631135 - 06/18/11 01:36 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

huhhhhhhhhh, just eat it. its FRIDAY!

and dude, that smoothie idea is the BOMB! i know im gonna do that shit, eventually. (lemon tek for life)

maybe make a contraption; place your fan horizontally, blowing up, and make a holder for your mushies that you can just put on top of the fan, AND that will keep them from blowing away.

or blowing down, into a chamber with your little buddies in it.

or just make that shit up as you go along and take a ton of notes. :tongue2:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation