Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays.
    #14625507 - 06/17/11 12:13 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I've done some studying and this is where I am.

I am looking into getting a real pressure canner or seeing if this is usable.

It's a canner/canning pot whatever you want to call it. But it has a basket and is a step up from a home made pot with some lid bands in it if you ask me. They have way better lids too.

I've read up on some of the wbs spawns and how the process works. I already know where to get the wild bird seed I have tyvek at my dad's house from a remodel and can get micropore tape in no time.

I currently have cakes going. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14608114

I plan to spore print those and make my own liquid cultures for inoculation. Where I ran into a big choice was should I do g2g for a first timer or not. Also what are the benefits if any?

The only unclear information is how to spawn so far. I have access to nearly every type of dung since my family has a farm with horses/cows. So what would be the best mixture for my spawning bed. If there is a go to guide please feel free to share it with me. I've found too many by googling and am overwhelmed.

I have money to buy a real pc if the above wont be worth my time. If I have a chance of it working I will use it until I can get a real one.

I may have left some important factors out but any advice is appreciated!

:awetrippie:
Keep trippin.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTeemo
Swift Scout
Female User Gallery

Loc: Lost at sea
Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: VaeVictum]
    #14625529 - 06/17/11 12:18 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

You'll need to buy a real PC because a regular canning pot won't reach the temperatures you need to for WBS.  I have a 23-qt Presto that can hold 9 quart jars at a time, and it was relatively inexpensive!

As for a good manure recipe, I'd suggest Prof P's bulk substrate recipe using horse manure:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13271608#13271608

He gets awesome results using it in his monotubs!  I'm sure it'd work well in trays, too.

Unfortunately, I can't help you out with G2G transfers since I haven't done them yet, but from what I understand, the purpose of G2G transfers is to expand your spawn quickly.  Since you use colonized spawn to transfer to your uncolonized WBS, it colonizes much faster opposed to inoculating uncolonized WBS with spores.

--------------------

"How terribly sad it was that people are made in such a way that they get used to something as extraordinary as living."

Edited by Teemo (06/17/11 12:20 AM)

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Teemo]
    #14625544 - 06/17/11 12:20 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Teemo said:
You'll need to buy a real PC because a regular canning pot won't get the temperatures you need to for WBS.  I have a 23-qt Presto that can hold 9 quart jars at a time, and it was relatively inexpensive!

As for a good manure recipe, I'd suggest Prof P's bulk substrate recipe using horse manure:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13271608#13271608

He gets awesome results using it in his monotubs!

Unfortunately, I can't help you out with G2G transfers, but the purpose of them is to expand your spawn quickly instead of having to go through the whole process of inoculating with a syringe.  Since you use colonized spawn to transfer to your uncolonized WBS, it goes by much quicker instead of having to start from spores.

Going to read and edit with a proper response but I am an avid Teemo main! Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom!

Edit: Yeah, I figured I would have to but it was worth a shot. I already know I can get one for relatively cheap so it's a non issue. Storing my tubs or trays was another issue. What would be the perfect spot to do it I guess is my question.

I might eventually want to try speeding it up with that technique but will end up seeing how things go with the shake technique first.

Thanks for all the advice thus far. :nyan:

Edited by VaeVictum (06/17/11 12:27 AM)

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in teh Northern... Flag
Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: VaeVictum]
    #14625787 - 06/17/11 01:07 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I'll leave :2cents:

1) You most definitely will want/need to get a real Pressure Canner.The one that Teemo has (I have the 23 quart PC) is a good one and is very affordable and will pay for itself in no time.Here's a link to the 23 quart Presto PC which will hold 7 quart jars standing up right and three more on their sides on top of the other seven,so 10 quart jars total.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-23-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1308286180&sr=1-2

now,if you want to make a really wise investment,I would advise purchasing an All American Pressure Canner...these babies are the real deal,top quality.

http://www.amazon.com/All-American-921-All-American-Pressure/dp/B00004S88Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1308286180&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/All-American-30-Quart-Pressure-Cooker-Canner/dp/B0002808Z2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1308286180&sr=1-6

2) I would not advise doing g2g transfers unless you have a laminar flowhood and do this work in front of said flow hood.If you have a big enough glove/still air box you may be able to do so,but it is wisest to do any g2g's,a2g's,or any agar work in front of a laminar flowhood.

3) I agree with Teemo.I have yet to use poo in my bulk substrates but out of all of them I do like the sound and results I've seen of Professor P's that Teemo gave you a link to.Just be sure to properly pasteurize any bulk substrates other then coir/verm/gypsum.When working with bulk substrate ingredients that can become contaminated with the ease (poo,spent coffee grounds,etc.) it best to properly pasteurize,this is accomplished by:

1)Bringing all ingredients to field capacity.

2) Mixing all ingredients.

3) Loading the bulk substrate into A) quart jars,or B) filter patch bags.

4) Using a large pot (the PC,w/o the lid,will work) filled with enough water to cover the the jars to the level they have been filled.

5) Using a meat thermometer siliconed in to one of the jars lids,or place in a filter patch bag of substrate with the temperature probe taking readings from the core of the substrate and use a rubber band to seal the bag and hold the thermometer upright.

5) Bringing the temperature at the core of the substrate to 140°F to 160°F for 90 minutes to 2 hours.At no point in time do you want the temperature at the core to get above 170°F.

6) Remove bags/jars of substrate and let cool to room temperature.

7)Use.

The point to pasteurizing is to kill any non-beneficial bacteria,while keeping the beneficial bacteria alive and thriving to help aid in protecting against contamination.

With all that said I see you say "spawning bed"...will this be an outdoor grow?

If so,pasteurization is not necessary and can be skipped.

--------------------
7 days without waves makes one weak!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Mad_Hatter2004]
    #14625826 - 06/17/11 01:15 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

2) I would not advise doing g2g transfers unless you have a laminar flowhood and do this work in front of said flow hood.If you have a big enough glove/still air box you may be able to do so,but it is wisest to do any g2g's,a2g's,or any agar work in front of a laminar flowhood.

Glovebox is ok.
The idea that you need a flowhood to do g2g is elitist bullshit. :thumbdown:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Mad_Hatter2004]
    #14625869 - 06/17/11 01:27 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mad_Hatter2004 said:
I'll leave :2cents:

With all that said I see you say "spawning bed"...will this be an outdoor grow?

Thanks for all that information!  :awesomenod:

I was going to ask if that pot I already had would work for what you mentioned since it's a pot I don't mind putting poop into to pasteurize. So thanks for being awesome!

I already have a digital and analog meat thermometer to use so I'm excited now.

I intend to do indoor for sure and possibly an outdoor just for fun. I'll make that decision later. I live in the pacific northwest and haven't done that much studying into if I'd be able to or not in my area.

Oh and I intend to do quart jars since I have them already. :nyan:

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Doc_T]
    #14625994 - 06/17/11 01:51 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Glovebox is ok.

Boxxy is always right. :awesomenod:

InvisibleLuger0815
noob
Male

Loc: @ Home
Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Doc_T]
    #14625998 - 06/17/11 01:51 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

Glovebox is ok.

:whathesaid:

Everything can be done in the GB.
A flowhood just makes things more easy.

And you can sterilize grain in that pot.Tyndallization
I just takes much more time.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Luger0815]
    #14626011 - 06/17/11 01:54 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Luger0815 said:
Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

Glovebox is ok.

That makes me happy that I can at least take a shot at it before I get my PC.

InvisibleLuger0815
noob
Male

Loc: @ Home
    #14626061 - 06/17/11 02:04 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

VaeVictum said:
Quote:

Luger0815 said:
Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

Glovebox is ok.

That makes me happy that I can at least take a shot at it before I get my PC.

I sterilized my rye grain, that way, for over a half year, before i decided to get me a big PC.
It never failed but it takes much more time.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Luger0815]
    #14626174 - 06/17/11 02:28 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I sterilized my rye grain, that way, for over a half year, before i decided to get me a big PC.
It never failed but it takes much more time.

Thanks for the reassurance friend! :awetrippie:

Now, lets let this thread die.  :plzdie:

Thanks everyone!

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here until here
    #14626354 - 06/17/11 03:12 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

more :2cents:

in GB/SAB: spores > syringe > small grain/wbs jars > GLC > qt grain/wbs > spawn

I like to PC empty pint jars for printing along with water in syringes then fill/swirl the print jar and aspirate one print per syringe. This is WAY more spores than you need per syringe, but you'll make a very dark liquid this way. You can PC your WBS/Grain jars with the water/pint jars and have everything ready in the same PC run for any relatively small projects (1-2 tubs).

be sure to read up on proper moisture (grain and substrate), pasteurizing, spawning, etc. :goodluck:

:peace:

edit: just saw this :sorry:  hope my posts helps at least a little

Quote:

VaeVictum said:

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide
Time to fruit? Pinning Strategy and Troubleshooting
My Trade Thread (Fungus, Plants, Herbal Medicine)

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

Re: Newbie looking to step up to the big boy league by doing WBS spawn to tubs/trays. [Re: Primal Call]
    #14626384 - 06/17/11 03:22 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

edit: just saw this :sorry:  hope my posts helps at least a little

Quote:

VaeVictum said:

Thanks everyone!

No worries, I just didn't want to be a burden to the forums so I figured I'd let this one fade off. Ty for the extra info though!

:dancer:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #14626882 - 06/17/11 09:19 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Luger0815 said:

It's a long shot. Buy a little PC at a thrift store for better results.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Laminar Flow Hood, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation