Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Loc: Alberta, Canada in a box
How To Practice The Way To A Meaningful Life
    #1462064 - 04/15/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

There are two ways to create happiness. The first is external. By obtaining better shelter, better clothes, and better friends we can find a certain measure of happiness and satisfaction. The second is through mental development, which yields inner happiness. However, these two approaches are not equally viable. External happiness cannot last long without its counterpart. If something is lacking in your perspective- if something is missing in your heart- then despite the most luxurious surroundings, you cannot be happy. However, if you have peace of mind, you can find happiness even under the most difficult circumstances.Dalai Lama

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: How To Practice The Way To A Meaningful Life [Re: Jenherself]
    #1462083 - 04/15/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

See... I'm sure this raised money for the dalai lama which is cool, but come on, it's just a fancy way of saying something we all know, and doesn't really change anything except make you think you're reading something meaningful.

Or maybe not. Maybe it's the smartest thing ever written, who knows?

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: How To Practice The Way To A Meaningful Life [Re: Dogomush]
    #1462150 - 04/15/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I suppose everyone has there own opinion...however I don't feel that religion or any belief needs to be as complicated as the bible is.  I guess thats why I like Buddhism so much...its simple and it makes sense. :laugh:

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462205 - 04/15/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Well, who says you need a religion? The way you wrote that last post you chose between the bible and buddhism. My suggestion to you is that rather than using something outside of yourself like a religion to shelter you from the universe's storm you seek inner peace so that you can exist happily in the dark world of no religions.

Or maybe I'm just trying to fuck with your mind.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1462277 - 04/15/03 10:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I thought Buddizm was like this-

Live without desire, and then you will be happy.

Is this accurate?

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

#1462291 - 04/15/03 10:35 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hahaha, your a good guy! Your right I am trying to find inner peace. It seems to me that alot of people need a 'God' or 'higher being' to believe in to get them through life...which is fine...to each their own, however I don't feel the need to believe in anyone but myself to get through life...cause in reality thats all you have. Buddhism and Zen just seem to put it in a simple way for me (cause I'm kinda slow) and help realize my inner strengths. I don't think anyone needs religion. Some do...I suppose....I use to work in a hospital with terminally ill patients, many of them turned to religion in their dying days, I suppose for strength, not sure why really...could have been the drugs they were on too. I just don't want to be like those people and feel the need to rely on something other than myself when I'm in a time of need, hence why I'm trying to find that inner peace now, at 24 years old, and will be able to stick with it throughout my life. I know I'll be a better person because of it, and when it comes time for my life to pass, I won't be so afraid....damn, I kinda went off there...sorry about that!

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1462294 - 04/15/03 10:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

When you become the most productive part of society that you can then you will feel like you have lead a meaningful life. When you produce a good that will make you money and leave you with more money to better that product you will feel like you have lead a meaningful life. When you start thinking that you have lead a meaningful life you need to keep working as that is truly the only thing to do on this lonely rock. Leading a simple life is not that hard get a job and bust your ass, be it as an executive or bottom of the barrel customer service rep. The harder you work the more you will have to work for, and then you will work harder and get a more difficult job. Then you continue to work harder as that is the only way to maintain what you have. The instant you let up, you will lose things and this is when you know that things in your life are not that meaningful.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

#1462302 - 04/15/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Your right about the desire thing. Desire seems to lead to alot of pain and anguish. We desire things at all times at all costs, and without wealth we become frustrated because we cannot have what we desire. Once again it all comes down to materialistic subjects and objects. If we could all learn not to be materailistic people, we wouldn't be so angry. And like Yoda once said 'fear leads to anger...anger leads to stress...stress leads to doobies...and doobies lead to twinkies'....hey wait thats not so bad. But really, if we can all learn not to rely on wealth so much, it just might be a better society to live in.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462304 - 04/15/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

hey don't apologize... dying people can act really strangely.. I've watched a few grandparents die of cancer over months.. It's a little weird how some people just can't die, like they gotta DO something like suddenly form a new relationship with God, and THEN die.

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

#1462322 - 04/15/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Very kewl diggitydankman, very kewl! Everyone knows that working leads to stress unless you are very blessed to be at a job that you love, maybe your not making much an hour or salary, but it all depends on the atmosphere, and the politics...man I hate politics...but I do know that I would rather work a 8 dollar an hour job and love what I'm doing, rather that working at 100,000 dollar a year job and deal with stress everyday of my life. I'm not lazy, and I'm not a slacker, I love a challenge but I hate stress. The things that are making me feel as though I'm leading a meaningful life, is when I can make someone smile, when I can be close with family and friends, and when I do something nice for a stranger at least once a day. Thats more meaningful to me than any money in the world could ever make me feel.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

#1462326 - 04/15/03 10:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah Dogomush, its scary.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
    #1462360 - 04/15/03 10:59 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think that the thing about desire also relates to "living in the now". If you desire something it takes you away from the present; either you desire that something in the past was different, or you desire something in the future. I suppose someone could also desire something "right now" but it takes them away from what and where they are in that moment.

I saw this quote in someone's sig here: "Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow."

It seems to me to be good advice for living a meaningful life.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: How To Practice The Way To A Meaningful Life [Re: psyphon]
    #1462400 - 04/15/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I completely agree with that

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order