Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Loc: Alberta, Canada in a box
The Process of Dying
    #1462080 - 04/15/03 09:33 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

The process of dying involves a serial cessation, or dissolution, of the four internal elements: earth (the hard substances of the body); water (fluids); fire (heat); and wind (energy, movement). In ordinary life, these elements serve as the basis for consciousness, but during the process of dying their capacity to support consciousness decreases, beginning with the earth element. Each step in this dissolution actually increases the capacity of the next element to support consciousness. Step by step it looks like this:

1. When the earth element, or hard substances of your body, dissolves into the water element, the external indication is that your body becomes thinner; internally, you see what appears to be a mirage seen in a desert.

2. When the water element of your body dissolves into the fire element, the external signs are that the fluids in your body dry--your mouth dries, your nose puckers, and so forth; internally, you see what has been described as puffs of smoke from a chimney or smoke floating throughout a room.

3. When the fire element of your body dissolves into the wind, or air, element, the external indication is that the heat in your body diminishes; internally, you see what look like fireflies at night or like scattering sparks. Heat withdraws from the body in different ways--from the feet upward to the heart or from the top of the head down. The former is preferable because it indicates that the mind will exit the body either upward or straight forward, not downward, and thus will most likely lead to a favorable next lifetime. This is caused by virtuous karma.

4. Next, the wind, or movement of energy in your body, dissolves into consciousness, and your outer breath ceases; at this time you see an appearance like the light above a flickering candle flame when the fuel has almost been used up. (Some doctors would consider a person in this state to be dead, but from the Buddhist point of view the mere cessation of the outer breath does not mean that consciousness has left the body.) The flickering light is followed by the appearance of a steady flame.

The final four phases of dying involve the dissolution of grosser levels of consciousness into subtler. This happens when the winds, or inner energies, that serve as the mounts of consciousness dissolve. Think of consciousness as mounted on energy like a rider on a horse. In preparation for the phase, the energies that served as the mounts of the many types of conceptual consciousnesses dissolve, shifting the basis of consciousness from grosser to subtler levels of energy. These naturally occur in four phases:

5. Your mind itself turns into an omnipresent, huge, vivid white vastness. It is described as a clear sky filled with moonlight--not the moon shining in empty space but that space filled with white light. Conceptual thought has vanished, and nothing appears except this vivid whiteness, which is your consciousness. However, a subtle sense of subject and object remains, so the state is slightly dualistic.

6. Your mind turns into a red or orange vastness, more vivid than before; nothing else appears. It is like a clear sky filled with sunlight--not the sun shining in the sky but space itself, filled with red or orange light. In this state the mind is even less dualistic.

7. Your mind itself turns into a still more subtle, vividly black state; nothing else appears. This is called "near-attainment" because you are close to manifesting the mind of clear light. The mind of black vastness is like a moonless, very dark sky just after dusk when no stars are seen. In the beginning of this phase you are aware, but then you lose awareness as you slip into even thicker darkness.

8. When the mind of black appearance ceases, your mind itself turns into the fully aware mind of clear light. Called the fundamental innate mind of clear light, this is the most subtle, profound, and powerful level of consciousness. It is like the sky's natural state at dawn (not sunrise)--without moonlight, sunlight or darkness.

The passage through to the mind of clear light can be fast or slow. Some people remain in the final stage, the mind of clear light of death, for only several minutes; others stay for as long as a week or two. Since the mind of clear light is so powerful, it is valuable to practice, so many Tibetan practitioners rehearse these stages of dying on a daily basis. The Dalai Lama himself practices them six times a day by imagining the eight levels of mind one by one (without, of course, the physical changes in the first four stages). The eight levels of mind are:

1. mirage
2. smoke
3. fireflies
4. flame of a candle
5. vivid white sky-mind
6. vivid red or orange sky-mind
7. vivid black sky-mind
8. clear light
The Dalai Lama

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Edited by Jenherself (04/15/03 09:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: The Process of Dying [Re: Jenherself]
    #1462094 - 04/15/03 09:37 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

meow

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1462106 - 04/15/03 09:39 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

It's a little bit too romantic a description of death for me.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1462118 - 04/15/03 09:43 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

And what makes you an expert on this process?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: The Process of Dying [Re: Swami]
    #1462137 - 04/15/03 09:46 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Actually I don't think I'm an expert, this was written by the Dalai Lama....

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1462188 - 04/15/03 10:03 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Did he die?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: The Process of Dying [Re: Evolving]
    #1462196 - 04/15/03 10:05 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Nope hes still kicking. I'm pretty sure its just a theory. :P But hey sounds good to me.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462212 - 04/15/03 10:11 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

What disturbs me is that the dalai lamma goes through this death rehearsal thing 6 times everyday. Shouldn't he be living?

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: The Process of Dying [Re: Dogomush]
    #1462267 - 04/15/03 10:26 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

True, I suppose it is kind of disturbing...however they don't live the kind of lives we do...they do do alot of meditation. I suppose they're way of thinking, is to be better prepared for things to come, and take them as a positive situation rather than a negative one. Another reason why this may seem to be a 'romantic' way to looking at death...but you gotta admit, its better than saying 'hey your gonna die a painful horrible death and your gonna rott, and maggots are going to eat you in your grave'. Don't you think?

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1462276 - 04/15/03 10:30 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

No, considering all conscious thought will be far gone before you will ever worry about the maggots. Dieing is probably the simplest thing you will ever do in your life as it requires no thought. You simply cease to exist and that is all.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: The Process of Dying [Re: diggitydankman]
    #1462293 - 04/15/03 10:36 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

I don't think it's really a "better" way of putting it. I don't want to hide from the maggots. Maggots are everywhere, so we better get used to them by confronting the reality of our soon to be rotting corpses.

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

#1462333 - 04/15/03 10:52 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

I suppose diggity, like I mentioned before everyone has they're own theory of life and death. Ever have an out of body experience?

I'm so going to be cremated...ain't no bugs gonna eat this biznatch....I know we all gotta eat and stuff, but thats just gross. :P

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Edited by Jenherself (04/15/03 10:53 PM)

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

#1462339 - 04/15/03 10:54 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Theres a book about out of body experiences....a real good one too....its called
'30 days to the most exciting experience of your life' written by Rick Stack

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462341 - 04/15/03 10:54 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

man, if only you could make deals with death, like

"ok, listen, instead of being hit by a car and dying at 11:23 AM today, how about I kill myself at 11:23 AM by lighting myself on fire and bellyflopping into the river"

that would be sweet.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462344 - 04/15/03 10:56 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

yeah, the out of body people get threads going on every little while in this forum..

I haven't seen an evolutionist vs creationist thread for a while, what's going on people, gave up on the classic argument?

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

#1462366 - 04/15/03 11:00 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

It would be nice to choose how we die and when we die...besides suicide of course. Then we could be a little better prepared for death...

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462372 - 04/15/03 11:03 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

well, more like, we ARE going to die at a set date, but we know it so we get to go out in a bang. Make people think, whether you're ready for it or not.

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1462433 - 04/15/03 11:23 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Yeah Im gonna be cremated to.  I would rather be spread back to earth from a plane than take up space on this all too little rock anyway :grin: 

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

InvisibleThe_Clash_UK
Day Tripper
Loc: UK
    #1462709 - 04/16/03 12:39 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

The river is called back to the source

--------------------
Crash a cig guvnor?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1462893 - 04/16/03 02:49 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

But hey sounds good to me.

This is a great yardstick by which to measure truth.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate