Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> DIY and Home Improvement

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineklopi123
Littlest shroom
Female User Gallery

Loc: canada Flag
Car troubles
    #14622608 - 06/16/11 03:13 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Hi there. Anyone know what it means when your car sputters after starting it also stopped running a few times just after starting.

If I have the gas on then everything ok, its just when I am at a complete stop.

THANK YOU!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepuff4200
Natural born lever puller

Re: Car troubles [Re: klopi123]
    #14622623 - 06/16/11 03:16 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

whens the last time your car was given a tune-up where you replace the spark plugs and wires and what not. also what are your miles on your car.

OfflineJeffreylabowski
THE DUDE
Male

Loc: midwest
    #14622634 - 06/16/11 03:18 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

depends what kind of car it is/ the year.. fuel injectors could be clogged or if its an older car.. could be your carbeurator.

Timing could be way off if somebody recently worked on it?

OfflineW4E2E0D
Ganja Warrior
Male

Re: Car troubles [Re: Jeffreylabowski]
    #14622662 - 06/16/11 03:23 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Hopefully it's something simple like a plug or coil. If not those two, it is most likely timing.

Offlineklopi123
Littlest shroom
Female User Gallery

Re: Car troubles [Re: W4E2E0D]
    #14622676 - 06/16/11 03:25 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Its a 2001 VW Beetle. The spark plugs last year, plus the water pump -$600 : (

Edited by klopi123 (06/16/11 03:26 PM)

OfflineJeffreylabowski
THE DUDE
Male

Loc: midwest
    #14622798 - 06/16/11 03:46 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

is it running rough when you have it revved up? If the timing is off it wont sound like it normally does..

With never cars its hard to tell tho. It could be some kind of sensor that went bad as well..

The same thing started happening to my car..it was sputtering when u put on the gas and would die sometimes when stopped.. Luckily my buddy is a mechanic and had some way of cleaning the fuel injectors without taking them off the car... Runs fine now.

Offlineklopi123
Littlest shroom
Female User Gallery

Re: Car troubles [Re: Jeffreylabowski]
    #14622953 - 06/16/11 04:14 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Humm.. :sherlock:  ok guys that gives me a few places to look into.

Invisiblekoraks
    #14626621 - 06/17/11 05:59 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

1. Make/arrange a readout of the engine computer. Often, there's nothing to be learned there, but sometimes, an error message may point towards a possible cause.
2. Your problem sounds like a mixture problem while idling to me. I'm not aware of the details of this engine, but I'd expect that there could be a problem with the stepper motor which controls the idle revs (common problem in cars 10+ years of age; the stepper motor ceases to run smoothly, making the engine run jaggedly when idling), or one of the sensors that provides the input for mixture control; e.g. the MAP sensor (manifold air pressure) or perhaps even the lambda sensor (this one is prone to deterioration in any case; if it hasn't been replaced, it probably should be right about now. Exhaust mixture analysis may provide some clues here, especially CO levels).

So in short: get some analysis done. Check error messages in the engine control computer, and run an exhaust analysis to see if there are any weird levels that could point towards a problem.

Of course, filthy spark plugs or damaged spark leads (mist water on the leads while the engine is running using a plant mister and see if you get any sparks signifying damaged insulation) are also a possibility, as well as timing, although I wouldn't expect timing to be an issue with a relatively modern engine like this one.

Offlineklopi123
Littlest shroom
Female User Gallery

Re: Car troubles [Re: koraks]
    #14626657 - 06/17/11 06:36 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
1. Make/arrange a readout of the engine computer. Often, there's nothing to be learned there, but sometimes, an error message may point towards a possible cause.
2. Your problem sounds like a mixture problem while idling to me. I'm not aware of the details of this engine, but I'd expect that there could be a problem with the stepper motor which controls the idle revs (common problem in cars 10+ years of age; the stepper motor ceases to run smoothly, making the engine run jaggedly when idling), or one of the sensors that provides the input for mixture control; e.g. the MAP sensor (manifold air pressure) or perhaps even the lambda sensor (this one is prone to deterioration in any case; if it hasn't been replaced, it probably should be right about now. Exhaust mixture analysis may provide some clues here, especially CO levels).

So in short: get some analysis done. Check error messages in the engine control computer, and run an exhaust analysis to see if there are any weird levels that could point towards a problem.

Of course, filthy spark plugs or damaged spark leads (mist water on the leads while the engine is running using a plant mister and see if you get any sparks signifying damaged insulation) are also a possibility, as well as timing, although I wouldn't expect timing to be an issue with a relatively modern engine like this one.

WOW! Thanks! You really know your cars. Would it be cool if I pm you in a few days if I get any new info?

Invisiblekoraks
    #14626708 - 06/17/11 07:17 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

You're welcome, but I'm by no means a mechanic. Your best bet is to draw attention from Prisoner #1. He's > me in terms of cars.

Btw, I assumed in my post that you have a petrol engine, not a diesel one.

Offlinetreewood69
person

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: omicron persei 8
    #14626789 - 06/17/11 08:13 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

klopi123 said:

isnt the water pump drivin by the timing belt on those cars

i dont think the water pump is 600dollars    dont go to the dealer  they will put it in your ass.

i Dont think the water pump is your problem but if you have over 100000 miles you might think about getting it changed.

--------------------
I have enough cents to know I dont have any sense

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Car troubles [Re: treewood69]
    #14626827 - 06/17/11 08:37 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

treewood69 said:
Quote:

klopi123 said:

isnt the water pump drivin by the timing belt on those cars

Without having seen this particular engine, but knowing my way around European cars: yes.

Quote:

i dont think the water pump is 600dollars    dont go to the dealer  they will put it in your ass.

Of course the pump isn't $ 600. More like $60 (max). But it's a job that takes between 3 and 6 hours on most modern cars, so the wages add up. Where I live, the equivalent of about $1000 is not unheard of for exchanging a water pump if the job is done at a dealership workshop, while your friendly neighbor with the wrench set will typically do it for something like $250-$500.

Quote:

i Dont think the water pump is your problem but if you have over 100000 miles you might think about getting it changed.

Obviously, the water pump is not the cause of the current problem of OP. A faulty water pump would typically cause whining noises, leaks and engine overheating issues. Although there is a tiny chance that the water pump has indeed failed for some reason, and that as a result the engine has either overheated and developed a head gasket leak, causing coolant or oil to enter the cylinders and the engine to run badly, or the timing belt tension could have been set wrong when the water pump was exchanged, causing a timing problem. But the leaky head gasket should result in engine temperature and/or low coolant level warning lights on the dashboard pretty soon, and a timing issue would cause the engine to run badly at high revs as well as at low revs. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to keep a close eye on the levels of coolant and engine oil, just to make sure.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #14635450 - 06/18/11 11:23 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

a quick indicator on whether it's a fuel mixture problem is the color of the
exhaust, of it's pretty much invisible things should be fine, light
white/gray smoke indicate that it's burning lean, blueish means it's burning
rich, if it's black, oil control problems, heavy white smoke means you're
getting coolant into the cylinders

as koraks mentioned, the best thing is to take it in for diagnostics, that's
the fast and easy route to the source problem in most cases though
occasionally one issue can mask others

the VW/Audi engines normally have what they call a cold start valve, if the
contacts are corroded (hopefully that's not an issue since the 90s) or if
it's defective it'll cause problems with starting and running

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> DIY and Home Improvement

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss, Asante
1,424 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2021 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.041 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.