Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Loc: Alberta, Canada in a box
Me
    #1462132 - 04/15/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I grew up not knowing anything about any religion, just the basics I suppose. I guess I was lucky not to have it forced upon me, and be forced into believing something just because my parents did. However, growing up I began to come up with my own beliefs on living and dying, heaven and hell, wrong and right. I've come to realize recently that Buddhism has always fit my way of thinking. I believe Buddhism is a wonderful belief to have faith in for the basic fact that Buddhism teaches you to believe in yourself. It puts things in simple form that makes absolute sense about living and dying. I am not Buddhist, nor do I practice any religion for that matter, but I do however strongly agree with the Dalai Lama and his teachings. I am currently reading a wonderful book that was written by the Dalai Lama it is called ' How to Practice the Way to a Meaningful Life'. I'm only not even a hundred pages into the book and already I'm looking at life in a whole new light, a positive light, and coming from someone who is manic depressive, I think its great. Because of this book and other reading I have done on Buddhism I am no longer afraid of death, nor am I afraid to confront my fears. Buddhism has given me confidence and made me feel better about living. I'm not trying to preach to anyone by all means, but I will say if you are struggling with anything in life work, money, relationships or any other problem, try picking up a book on Buddhism or even a book on Zen. Bring you back to the basics of life and help you forget about the materialistic things in life that make everyone a bitter person at one point or another in there life time. Take care all and cheers.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Me [Re: Jenherself]
    #1462194 - 04/15/03 10:04 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I like smoking weed and thinking about Buddhism!

This post was directed at Mr_Mushrooms.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Me [Re: pattern]
    #1462224 - 04/15/03 10:13 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I thought faith was more for the christians, not so much the buddhists. Didn't the original buddha (keanu reaves) say something about not to believe things people say just because they're a monk? I like it. Leaves things open to drug use.

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: Me [Re: Dogomush]
    #1462250 - 04/15/03 10:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hahaha, cute.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1462314 - 04/15/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Originally, the Bible (at least the NT) read like a Buddhist novel...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: Me [Re: Sclorch]
    #1462354 - 04/15/03 10:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I guess, the way I've understood the bible though is that it is just a story, kinda like any dr.suess book, it is there to teach you about morals...I can't say 'god' exists...or that Jesus ever did...I've never been proved that he has. However I do know that the Dalai Lama does exist....and he doesn't ask to be believed in or to be followed.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1462365 - 04/15/03 11:00 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

God, on the other hand, is always knocking on my door, trying to push me into churches as I walk by..

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: Me [Re: Dogomush]
    #1462374 - 04/15/03 11:05 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I hate that shit....I go to work everyday and I've got kids that are younger than me trying to get me to listen to them about their beliefs...to be honest I feel bad for these kids, they are not so openminded, and they are so young I wonder if they really know what else is out there, they're parents forced them into the lives they live without any other choices...sooo sad if you ask me.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Anonymous

#1463617 - 04/16/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the thoughts Jen. :smile:

Of importance to me is that you read the sticky thread entitled "The "Be Nice" policy".  In it you will find the way we operate around here.  It doesn't seem you will have any problems fitting though.

If I can assist you in any way I will.  Please pm me with any questions about the Shroomery you might have.

Welcome to the Shroomery and the S&P forum.  :smile:

Pattern:  Would that include looking at the stars too? :wink:

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Me [Re: ]
    #1463670 - 04/16/03 11:57 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

> Would that include looking at the stars too?

Only at night.  :wink:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Me [Re: Sclorch]
    #1463719 - 04/16/03 12:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

History shows that Christianity and Buddhism share roots, both spawning moral principles from Taoism and even Confucianism.

There are so many different schools of Buddhism, that faith can be applied in tons of different ways. There are some that say, "You're Buddha, you don't need practice or meditation. Just Live" and there's one called Pure Land that is extremely similar to Christianity. There is a deity, Amitabha, and one must praise her, meditate to her, worship her to reach the Pure Land in the afterlife.

But the basic principles usually stay the same. One of the Hua-yen Buddhism principles I am interested in is Non-origination and one mind. Everything originates from something else, therefore all is one, and nothing is seperate. Another is the Three Truths from Tentai- Emptiness is everything. The essence of specific things is emptiness, no labels, characteristics... etc.

I'm in a very interesting, illuminating class called "History of East Asian Buddhism". Good Stuff!

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Re: Me [Re: Blastrid]
    #1464084 - 04/16/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Very kewl Blastrid. I should look into a class here and see if there are any available for this sort of subject. I would love to learn more. Are there any books that you would recommend?

Thank you Mr_Mushrooms for the nice welcome. I'm glad my cousin informed me about this website cause its awesome.

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale