Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator
    #1393140 - 03/19/03 08:03 PM (21 years, 14 days ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineApocolypse
Stoner
Loc: Central US
Re: High Blue Spectra vs Warm-White/ Cool White [Re: Alien]
    #1393256 - 03/19/03 08:36 PM (21 years, 14 days ago)

I also was wondering which lights would be best for my setup?

Any help is appreciated!!

A) A "grow Light" looks like a normal fluro from lowes, supposedly makes the flowers super grow.
B) A wal-mart stick me anywhere fluro?
C) Some other sorta light!!!

What lights can I find that I dont have to wire in that produce blue spectrum???

Thx

Apoc

--------------------
-All pictures and associated text featured in any posts of mine are the sole property of Batman who flies by my window in the morning, he asked me to post it online for him and so I do-

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: High Blue Spectra vs Warm-White/ Cool White [Re: Apocolypse]
    #1393450 - 03/19/03 10:10 PM (21 years, 14 days ago)

those lights covered with a blue film work great. they are regular screw type bulbs meant to accentuate and help grow a small house plant.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: High Blue Spectra vs Warm-White/ Cool White [Re: felix]
    #1393920 - 03/20/03 02:51 AM (21 years, 14 days ago)

a friend uses one of those sun lamps, the full spectrum kind that are supposed to help your mood in the winter. it's an expensive solution but he tells me it works!

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Apocolypse]
    #1394918 - 03/20/03 08:41 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

--------------------

Edited by Alien (03/20/03 08:57 AM)

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Alien]
    #1395715 - 03/20/03 02:40 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

--------------------

OfflineHafrican
Mega-ultrachicken

Loc: SW Azerbaijan
    #1395786 - 03/20/03 03:13 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Try verilux

http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/fulspecfrosf.html

Artificial light has two qualities: the color temperature (measured in Kelvin I believe) and the CRI (Color Rendering Index). The CRI is a measurement of how closely the light approximates sunshine -- daylight has a CRI of 100 theoretically. Those shitty methadone clinic fluorescent bulbs have a CRI of like 45 (Philips Cool White)

The verilux are pricey -- SWIM got some fluro tubes for like $10 a piece! The light is very good. SWIM has had good luck with pin sets under diffuse full spectrum (e.g. Verilux) bulbs.

I dont work for these crackers or anything -- they are just the only "full spectrum light" vendor I know of ....

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Hafrican]
    #1396125 - 03/20/03 05:37 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

--------------------

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Alien]
    #1396167 - 03/20/03 05:49 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

--------------------

Edited by Alien (03/20/03 06:56 PM)

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #1397252 - 03/21/03 04:20 AM (21 years, 12 days ago)

IMO light isnt important enough to buy a special light, i think stamets was saying that the spectrum that mycellium respond to best is the blue/violet (i cant remember the exact length) Light is like the key to the mushroom automobile, it starts it, but after its turned on it isnt really needed, although if you pin with light, then stop, your shrooms wont grow straight...

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: amyloid]
    #1397896 - 03/21/03 08:06 AM (21 years, 12 days ago)

--------------------

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: High Blue Spectra vs Warm-White/ Cool White *DELETED* [Re: Alien]
    #1398909 - 03/21/03 04:08 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleSpunkee
Stranger
Re: High Blue Spectra vs Warm-White/ Cool White [Re: poke smot!]
    #1399738 - 03/22/03 04:17 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

These LEDs have a 470 nm wavelength (typically). You need 480 nm. They're probably about as close as you could get to lighting with just that pure color (short of using diffused laser light). The heat generated by these things would be minimal.

You would need to do some construction. Wire the LEDs with appropriate resistors in parallel then connect this to a AC/DC transformer with the appropriate power rating and hook this into a cheap AC timer and then into the wall outlet.

Or you could forget about the AC/DC adapter and let it run off DC current with an appropriate DC timer (hard to find and expensive). This could be useful for a portable grow setup (battery operated in a van, shed, etc).

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Spunkee]
    #1400211 - 03/22/03 08:22 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

--------------------

Edited by Alien (03/22/03 08:26 AM)

OfflineExhausted_Prayers
primordialprotagonist
    #1406980 - 03/24/03 07:17 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I'm a first timer and have yet to germinate my spores (EQ on rye, hehe) but I've been doing plenty of research and I was already curious about this aspect of mushroom growth- might as well optimize every single thing and go all out. let me know Alien how this turns out, i'll be following closely...

it's wonderful to see so many people thinking methodically and devising clever experiments, if only they tought something like this in high school I think kids would learn to appreciate science and nature a whole lot more! ;P

ExPr

my background is in human tissue culture so I'm fairly confident in my sterile technique, and it helps with access to flowhoods and such so I'm pretty stoked on getting a good first harvest.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Exhausted_Prayers]
    #1407573 - 03/25/03 03:41 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

--------------------

OfflineShroomwhisperer
Wanabe
Loc: South
    #1409030 - 03/25/03 01:18 PM (21 years, 8 days ago)

Corecto Mundo, Alien

A few years ago, in a far far away time, when I didn?t have a clew what I was doing, I had the bright idea to use a 5500K light source as 5500K is supposed to have a good Color Rendering Index. Meaning it will give good reflective properties to light blue as well as red. My little shroomey buddies quickly told me ?I HATE YOU?!

I quickly changed the lamps to 6500K, Daylight white/ Cool white, and my little shroomey buddies told me ?I LOVE YOU?! 4500K, warm white, is high in red spectrum. Don?t even go there.

I also installed a high UV light, not a true blue black light, but high in UV around 320 NM. I experimented with it to start penning. 5 minute on cycle, it didn?t seem to help. This is about the time PF was experimenting with black light and mutated his entire strain! That?s right Boy?s and Girl?s, black light will mutate your strain to the point the second generation will say, ?I HATE YOU?!! Don?t even go there. What PF is hawking now is not even close to his strain in ?99. I have gone through a living HELL with the PF mutant strain. Seams his original strain is lost and gone FOREVER!

I don?t use fluorescent, I use neon. I suggest if you must use fluorescent, Daylight T8 is O.K., T6 would be better, less flicker. A 50% on cycle works fine, puts less heat into your growing environment. LOL

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Shroomwhisperer]
    #1409184 - 03/25/03 02:31 PM (21 years, 8 days ago)

--------------------

OfflineGWAR
Scumdog of theUniverse
 User Gallery

Loc: Antarctica
    #1434661 - 04/06/03 10:04 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i use a 25 watt compact floro... is that ok?

--------------------

"Freedom to all the people... Brave, true and strong... Freedom to all the people... Unless I think you're wrong!!!"

Offlineeffwun
supafly guy
Re: High Blue Spectra vs Warm-White/ Cool White [Re: amyloid]
    #1461348 - 04/15/03 05:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

this thread addressed an issue i have been thinking about for a while. while we all agree that our favorite species doesn't need a particular type of light, those who have read TMC may have thought about certain types of light initiating more pinheads than others. quoting TMC: "A thorough investigation on the photosensitivity of Psilocybe cubensis can be found in a master's thesis by E.R. Badham (1979). His work reinforces the conclusions of other researchers working with the basidiomycetes: more pinheads are initiated upon exposure to blue and ultra-violet light with distinct peaks at 370, 440, and 460 nanometers. Badham showed that light stimulation at these wavelengths for as little as half a millisecond per day caused primordia to form."

so, this being said, where does one obtain a bulb which emits light on these frequencies? i am assuming a black light falls into the range of wavelengths, after all a black light is really blue and the spectrum of visible light starts at 400 nanometers. if anyone else has info on this i'd like to see it posted, or if i'm wrong about anything i've written, i'd like to see that too

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds