Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline1tokeovrtheline
life=painfully beautiful
 User Gallery

Loc: innerverse&universe, surrealis...
pressure cooker ran dry, please advise
    #14606691 - 06/13/11 02:40 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So I went over to my friends yesterday who is just starting out with his first wbs jars. He said he was worried he had burned them and as he told me the story I realized he had ran his pc dry.

The details he gave me were: He brought the weight to a jiggle and tried to keep it there (yeah I guess he had misread some instructions on operating rockers and thought he needed to keep it rocking). So he said it wasn't rocking so he turned it up higher and higher and it started to smell funky but rocked a little bit and steam kept coming out. After a few minutes he turned it down and he said once he turned it down it started rocking again and he had a few minutes left on his time so he let it rock til the time was up. He says it probably was like ten minutes.

He put a cloth in the bottom and around the jars for space and it had been melted which I would guess is the reason it began rocking again.

Now I told him he needs to do the jars over again and get a new pc asap, but when I inspected it, it didn't really seem that bad. The seal is fine, it locks perfect and a short test run showed that no steam escapes the edges.

The concern I have is that the bottom got a tiny, tiny bit warped. He took pictures of it, which I could ask for, but really you couldn't even see it, its just that on a flat surface it isn't 100% stable, but close enough that at first I thought it could've just been some crumbs or something that got caught underneath.

My advice to him was that it would probably be alright to run it a few more times as long as he makes sure to put in enough water and bring it down just a bit from rocking, so the steam doesn't escape so rapidly, and that he should try to be careful, bringing it up to and down from temp slowly and watching the bottom to make sure it isn't bulging or anything and no steam leaks. I recommended he just get a sweet AA off ebay lol, I fuckn love those.

He is pretty broke though and he asked me how long he could run it like this and I had no answer for him other than get a new one as soon as you can. I wanted to get some more feedback for him though, so what do you guys think? How dangerous is it to run a very slightly warped pc? He says its a presto, but it says "wearever" on the handle.

--------------------

Music, business as usual
Mi' spliff and Guiness as usual
Highgrade we puffin as usual
Fight down the system as usual
The system fight we down as usual
The cops dem a watch we as usual
And a we a watch the cops as usual

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: pressure cooker ran dry, please advise [Re: 1tokeovrtheline]
    #14607637 - 06/13/11 05:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The weight that you put on there (15lbs.) is supposed to rock the whole time. That's how you know it is 15 PSI. If it stops rocking then you aren't achieving 15 PSI in the PC. You turn it down once it starts rocking .... but do it gradually so that you can work it down as low as possible but still rocking the weight. Keep it rocking for 90 min.

You need to make sure that you put enough water in there to go for 90 min. You won't get to refill at anytime during the process like you can when steaming without a PC. But you also don't need to put in too much water. I would suggest reading the manual and/or watching some videos.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: pressure cooker ran dry, please advise [Re: Wing]
    #14607730 - 06/13/11 05:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The weight that you put on there (15lbs.) is supposed to rock the whole time

No, it is not.  You're supposed to reduce heat to just the point where the rocker stops rocking, around 14.5 psi.  Disregard the instructions that come with a PC for canning.  We're not putting up peaches like grandma, instead we're 'misusing' a pressure cooker as a sterilizer.  There's a big difference.

To the op, don't ever put a rag on the bottom of a pressure cooker.  Use jar lids, foil, rocks, perlite, anything but a rag.

Since you warped the bottom, the metal is ruined.  Toss it out and buy a new one, hopefully not one made in china this time.  You'll never warp an All American.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleuncle bobo
Male User Gallery

Loc: shakedown st
Re: pressure cooker ran dry, please advise [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14607759 - 06/13/11 06:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

agreed, i always pc at 14.5. it's just not as noisy and i haven't had any sterile problems yet. if you use a towel it takes way to long to build up heat and pressure. i like the rock ideal, because sometimes i need the extra lids. thanks for the tip rr.

--------------------

AKA Wolfgang Grajonza                 
IKO MYCO. MEDICINAL FARMS.

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: pressure cooker ran dry, please advise [Re: uncle bobo]
    #14608217 - 06/13/11 07:20 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I like to make sure I've got enough pressure. To me if its not barely rocking then I'm unsure. But to each his own.

I really haven't used one without a gauge in a long time. I've had a large one with a gauge for about 10 years. I just make sure mine sits perfectly on 15 and I know I'm fine.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Offline1tokeovrtheline
life=painfully beautiful
 User Gallery

Loc: innerverse&universe, surrealis...
Re: pressure cooker ran dry, please advise [Re: Wing]
    #14613037 - 06/14/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I convinced him to get another one (especially after showing him this thread), though I think he was just going to buy another cheapo :facepalm:

thanks though guys

--------------------

Music, business as usual
Mi' spliff and Guiness as usual
Highgrade we puffin as usual
Fight down the system as usual
The system fight we down as usual
The cops dem a watch we as usual
And a we a watch the cops as usual

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder