Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSorealism
Knowledge is Power
 User Gallery

Dreaming Vs. Tripping
    #14603372 - 06/12/11 10:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

What do you guys think? Is dreaming a psychedelic?

I know they may seem like comapring apples to oranges but to me they do show some parallels . Dreaming, especially lucid dreaming, can be, or is like a trip. I have had dreams where everything is so trippy, e.g., colors warping around, being shot into space, vivid patterns and images etc. I think both rely completely on the imagination. When closing my eyes on shrooms or acid (usually higher doses) and letting my imagination run wild, it is literally capable of creating 'reality' just like in a dream. For example, conjuring up any image or scenario my mind happens to bring up or just complete random stuff from my subconscience.  I know tripping feels great and is extremely euphoric but I'm thinking more about the trip going on in the mind. Especially (for me) on higher doses of shrooms there are times when I'm peaking hard and I feel like I'm in a half awake half dreaming state where sometimes they're indistinguishable until I open my eyes-fun stuff!

Do you guys agree/disagree? I'd like to hear others opinions especially those skilled in lucid dreaming or those who are good at remembering their dreams (I am neither). If there was a drug that instantly took you into an actual dream it would be some dangerous stuff!  (not talking about DMT!) God I Love the Psychedelic Experience!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinebRaInMeLtErS
Stranger

Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: Sorealism]
    #14603417 - 06/12/11 10:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've actually became lucid a few times while dreaming. But I am usually pretty good at remembering the majority of my dreams. And i would have to agree that dreaming is like tripping in a way. They both alter your perception, and make you feel emotions and feelings. Idk really, definitely a good topic for discussion.

OfflineBargainBab
Hey Dere Ho Dere
Male User Gallery

Loc: Callisto
Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: bRaInMeLtErS]
    #14603429 - 06/12/11 10:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think lucid dreaming is an altered state of thinking, just like psychedelics

--------------------
Oh wow, GOOD Nyborg!

OfflineJoolz
Male

Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: BargainBab]
    #14603782 - 06/13/11 12:11 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I smoke too much pot to remember my dreams.

GIMMI SOME TRIPPIN FOODS PLEASE

--------------------
Prohibition didn't work for God; Eve ate the fruit.

OfflineJimLahey
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C...
Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: Joolz]
    #14603822 - 06/13/11 12:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Joolz said:

I have not been effected by this, I smoke about 2 grams a day and have been doing so for 5 years, my dreams are usually pretty crazy so I tend to remember lots of parts of them, maybe I am lucky. I remember when I had to quit for probation a few years ago my dreams were super intense and crazy. Maybe my melatonin is not as off as yours?

--------------------
"Why don't you get a life, Rick? Why don't you go to community college like Julian here? Hey! I got a good idea! You could teach Living In A Car and Growing Dope 101"

OfflineJoolz
Male

Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: JimLahey]
    #14603827 - 06/13/11 12:24 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

No idea. All I know is that I smoked heavily for about a year and then stopped for about 3 weeks. My dreams came back, but now I'm smoking heavily again and I don't dream too often. I just have sick deja vu every day tbh.

--------------------
Prohibition didn't work for God; Eve ate the fruit.

Invisiblejds

#14603838 - 06/13/11 12:28 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I love dreams about as much as trips, they're both really interesting

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

OfflineJimLahey
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C...
    #14603847 - 06/13/11 12:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Joolz said:
No idea. All I know is that I smoked heavily for about a year and then stopped for about 3 weeks. My dreams came back, but now I'm smoking heavily again and I don't dream too often. I just have sick deja vu every day tbh.

Yeah, my dreams are not always super memorable but the ones that are I can remember lots from. I always am getting feelings of deja vu for a reason, it is really intense too.

--------------------
"Why don't you get a life, Rick? Why don't you go to community college like Julian here? Hey! I got a good idea! You could teach Living In A Car and Growing Dope 101"

Offlinetruthinpassing
Neu
Male
Loc: Toronto, ON Flag
    #14603961 - 06/13/11 12:59 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

funny i was actually thinking about this myself recently. i'm so jealous of people who have mastered lucid dreaming. i've only triggered it a couple of times, and right before waking up - so never had enough time to fully explore.

i'd say tripping and  lucid dreaming have some similarities (what OP said about it relying completely on your imagination) but if you're comparing non-lucid dreaming and tripping (without ego loss).. they're different in that with dreaming you're unaware what is happening (that you're dreaming) and with tripping you're usually aware that you took a drug.!

InvisibleLocky
Dont Spill Me!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over here, yes, here
Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: truthinpassing]
    #14604948 - 06/13/11 08:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

When you dream, your body is releasing small amounts of dmt. So you are pretty much sleep tripping :lol:

I have lucid dreams EVERY night, its pretty cool. except in the morning, i feel like i have just finished tripping. I feel exhausted

--------------------

OfflineChronicSmoke
wanderer
Male

Loc: On the Moon
Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: Locky]
    #14605818 - 06/13/11 11:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've had dreams that are more trippy than most times ive been on psychedelics.

I have a tendency to really feel things in my dreams,  I remember one dream I had where I was holding onto the end of a giant balloon that was losing air and flying me all over.

I remember feeling the speed of me flying in the air, I felt scared and unsafe it was fucking crazy.  I just recall holding onto the end of the balloon with my life, I knew I didn't want to fall and I wonder what I would have felt if I did fall.  I woke up and just couldn't believe how I actually felt myself going fast like I was on a roller coaster.  It was seriously so real, I have a lot of really vivid dreams I have also been to the same place in multiple dreams I dont really understand what that is all about.

--------------------
This is a public computer, 1,000's of people use it everyday this isn't me typing this.  I dont even know how I got on this site, how the hell do I even work this computer.:wow: 

Edited by ChronicSmoke (06/13/11 11:56 AM)

Invisibleextreme
Male

#14605820 - 06/13/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JimLahey said:
Quote:

Joolz said:

I have not been effected by this, I smoke about 2 grams a day and have been doing so for 5 years, my dreams are usually pretty crazy so I tend to remember lots of parts of them, maybe I am lucky. I remember when I had to quit for probation a few years ago my dreams were super intense and crazy. Maybe my melatonin is not as off as yours?

I've been taking melatonin over the last couple months.  It hasn't really done a ton to help me sleep, maybe I fall asleep a few minutes faster than without.  The only real noticeable difference with it is... most nights I get amazingly vivid and awesome dreams!  Some nights are just like a normal night, no dreams that I can remember.  If I try really hard to remember though, I usually have at least a few dreams that linger on until I wake.  What I love about dreams is the way they're pieced together.  Most of my dreams make ZERO sense, and that's what makes them interesting :thumbup:

InvisibleLocky
Dont Spill Me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: ChronicSmoke]
    #14605826 - 06/13/11 11:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

dmt is being released when you dream, so i guess its kinda tripping

--------------------

Invisibledrr
Female
    #14605876 - 06/13/11 12:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

facktual fackts

InvisibleFleshCap
FleshCap
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali Underground Flag
Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: drr]
    #14606322 - 06/13/11 01:40 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This is a great questions to ponder...dreams vs. psychedelic experience.

I'd like to think that they both provide access to the portal.

--------------------

InvisibleLocky
Dont Spill Me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: FleshCap]
    #14606509 - 06/13/11 02:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i have to say, i enjoy dreams so much. They are almost as good as tripping to me

Not as good, but, still a realy good natural mind exploration

--------------------

Offlinefantasticfungus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: FleshCap]
    #14606622 - 06/13/11 02:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dreaming is fun, dreaming is more fun than being awake really and its reason I often find myself sleeping more than I think is good for me.

I can be in bed at 8 in the evening and then awake again at midnight when I can spend hours online (which is great and what did insomniacs ever do before the net?) then I will go back to bed again before it gets light and this is when I often have amazing dreams that last till its time to get up to face the new day.

OfflineWackyTobaccy
Friend of the Fungus
Male

Loc: Washington Flag
    #14606786 - 06/13/11 02:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I used to mess around with lucid dreaming a lot, waking up early in the morning and attempting to enter a lucid dream using the wake-induced lucid dream technique (WILD). I'd have to say it's a lot more intense than any trip I've ever had (and I've taken some pretty big doses), but it's not really the same. It's not like taking a drug where you've got euphoria and ego death and stuff, although I think that one can produce virtually any experience when lucid dreaming, it's a lot more dependent on your ability to do so, whereas whith drugs the intense experiences are created almost automatically, and it's rather outside the user's control as to wether or not they are having an intense experience for the duration of the trip.

I think dreams are also different in that when your trippin' (at least in my experience), the visions seem to be directly related to what your thinking and feeling at the time, but when I enter a lucid dream, some crazy shit will happen, like I'll fall through my bed and float around rotating in space for a few seconds, and then I'll just find my self in some location all of a sudden, like my house, except everything will be all rearranged or different in some way. I don't know why that happens. I think the cool thing about dreaming is you can do anything, like flying, or using 'the force' aka telekinesis, or causing objects to appear out of think air.

That said I think they r definitely similar, in that both psychadelics and dreams 'act out' or manifest our imaginations. I especially find the chemical link interesting. Many psychadelics are closely related to DMT, which, as some of the other posters here have noted, is excreted in the brain by the pineal gland. I think that accounts for the similarities between tripping and dreaming, but they're definitely different.

OfflineSorealism
Knowledge is Power
 User Gallery

Re: Dreaming Vs. Tripping [Re: WackyTobaccy]
    #14613430 - 06/14/11 05:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FleshCap said:
This is a great questions to ponder...dreams vs. psychedelic experience.

I'd like to think that they both provide access to the portal.

I think you're right!

Quote:

WackyTobaccy said:
I used to mess around with lucid dreaming a lot, waking up early in the morning and attempting to enter a lucid dream using the wake-induced lucid dream technique (WILD). I'd have to say it's a lot more intense than any trip I've ever had (and I've taken some pretty big doses), but it's not really the same. It's not like taking a drug where you've got euphoria and ego death and stuff, although I think that one can produce virtually any experience when lucid dreaming, it's a lot more dependent on your ability to do so, whereas whith drugs the intense experiences are created almost automatically, and it's rather outside the user's control as to wether or not they are having an intense experience for the duration of the trip.

I think dreams are also different in that when your trippin' (at least in my experience), the visions seem to be directly related to what your thinking and feeling at the time, but when I enter a lucid dream, some crazy shit will happen, like I'll fall through my bed and float around rotating in space for a few seconds, and then I'll just find my self in some location all of a sudden, like my house, except everything will be all rearranged or different in some way. I don't know why that happens. I think the cool thing about dreaming is you can do anything, like flying, or using 'the force' aka telekinesis, or causing objects to appear out of think air.

That said I think they r definitely similar, in that both psychadelics and dreams 'act out' or manifest our imaginations. I especially find the chemical link interesting. Many psychadelics are closely related to DMT, which, as some of the other posters here have noted, is excreted in the brain by the pineal gland. I think that accounts for the similarities between tripping and dreaming, but they're definitely different.

I agree with the points you make. Dreams are much more crazy and random, and at times downright weird, yet they make perfect sense at that moment. Sometimes when I'll have a dream and say my girlfriend is in it but she looks like a different person but it 'feels' like its her. Another time I will 'feel' like I'm in my house but it is entirely a different house, for example. On the other hand when one takes LSD or shrooms, like Wacky Tobaccy mentioned, the user is more in control of their trip in terms of what they envision in their mind, e.g. they put themselves in that setting in their mind vs. being placed into a setting like in a dream.
  Like you said most pyschadelics are very similar or closely resemble DMT molecular structure. DMT is theorized to be secreted by the pineal gland during sleep and I can see why this is a popular theory, and I think it would be neat to see it proved!

--------------------

OfflineDrGreenThumb865
Dude, who's got the lighter?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tennessee Flag
    #14613432 - 06/14/11 05:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Locky said:
When you dream, your body is releasing small amounts of dmt. So you are pretty much sleep tripping :lol:

Exactly.

--------------------
:mushdance:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag