Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: Icelander]
    #14590846 - 06/10/11 02:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
...The Whale... If you read a recent front page  story of the San Francisco Chronicle, you would have read about a female  humpback whale who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps  and lines. She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that  caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of  line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging  in her mouth. A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farallon Islands  (outside the Golden Gate ) and radioed an environmental group for help.  Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was  so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in  and  untangle her. They worked  for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her. When she was  free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles. She  then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, and nudged them,  pushed them gently around as she was thanking them. Some said it was the  most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives. The guy who cut the  rope out of her mouth said her eyes were following him the whole time,  and he will never be the same.

I'm sure they were just anthropomorphizing all of that.

:lol:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: Poid]
    #14591227 - 06/10/11 03:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

at least nobody tried to take it back to sea world

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: Icelander]
    #14592308 - 06/10/11 07:43 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
...The Whale... If you read a recent front page  story of the San Francisco Chronicle, you would have read about a female  humpback whale who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps  and lines. She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that  caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of  line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging  in her mouth. A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farallon Islands  (outside the Golden Gate ) and radioed an environmental group for help.  Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was  so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in  and  untangle her. They worked  for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her. When she was  free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles. She  then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, and nudged them,  pushed them gently around as she was thanking them. Some said it was the  most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives. The guy who cut the  rope out of her mouth said her eyes were following him the whole time,  and he will never be the same.

so, back to the original topic,

What is so anthropomorphic about the animal's behavior?

It didnt seem to be using complex language, executive planning, abstract thought, teleological perception, creativity, etc.

It seemed to show joy plus aknowledgement of agency.

I thought even dogs show these emotions...

I think the great joy is inherent in the fact that the animal is so huge. Humans feel great when they have a good connection with an animal like a dog or a horse. But most humans barely have contact with whales, let alone a good connection with one.

So I don't really see the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say that whales are emotionally inferior because their emotions are less diverse? If so, which emotion do you think the humans are wrongly attributing to the whale?

Or are you saying that whale emotions just don't matter as much? If so, why?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: Noteworthy]
    #14592320 - 06/10/11 07:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I was being sarcastic.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#14592344 - 06/10/11 07:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, it didnt come across at all

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: Noteworthy]
    #14592423 - 06/10/11 08:04 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That's cause I'm good. :satansmoking:

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
    #14592703 - 06/10/11 08:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
Ok, it didnt come across at all

You must not know him.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #14592724 - 06/10/11 09:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Icelander has changed since the years ago when we joined (we all change. Except OC.), and Id say that his earlier self would possibly have made this thread without sarcasm.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#14592743 - 06/10/11 09:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This place changed my views on humanity.  I had a tiny ray of hope for our species before I started posting here.

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#14592879 - 06/10/11 09:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You dont know who your are

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#14592939 - 06/10/11 09:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

How could I, I didn't create myself.:satansmoking:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #14592953 - 06/10/11 09:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
You dont know who your are

*you:nerd:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #14594396 - 06/11/11 05:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Well my cat got stuck in one of those sticky fly traps and it kept getting worse and worse.  He got mad and ran around in circles and yowled.  After a while I got him to hold still while I held fur with one hand and pulled sticky trap with the other.  I will never forget the look in his eyes as he thanked me.  He will never be the same either.

Next I plan to start saving flies stuck in spider webs.  I never thought that was fair of the spiders to do that.  Payback is a bitch you eight legged freaks!

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlineskippyluvs
Always

Loc: Urth aka earth aka # 1 pi...
    #14594900 - 06/11/11 08:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Too bad the whale never knew that the same species that freed her from that shit-trap were the same one's to put it in place. Wonder how thankful she'd be if she knew :awesomenod:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: skippyluvs]
    #14595226 - 06/11/11 10:13 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

IMO it's good the whale never knew and even if she did maybe she's wise enough to know that these guys were not the ones that set those trap or set them with her in mind.

You must remember she kills for a living too.

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
    #14595791 - 06/11/11 12:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Orcas are pretty smart. I can't find the video but there is one with them hunting a seal. They get the seal but let it go in the end! It turns out they were just teaching the young how to hunt and weren't hungry. You can say they are superior to humans in some respects.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #14596235 - 06/11/11 02:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Most all animals excel over humans in some area as we excel over them in one or more.

--------------------

Offlineskippyluvs
Always

Loc: Urth aka earth aka # 1 pi...
    #14597479 - 06/11/11 07:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
IMO it's good the whale never knew and even if she did maybe she's wise enough to know that these guys were not the ones that set those trap or set them with her in mind.

You must remember she kills for a living too.

Indeed :thumbup:

InvisibleCups
technically "here"
 User Gallery

Re: I'm pretty sure other animals are inferior to us emotionally [Re: skippyluvs]
    #14597735 - 06/11/11 08:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, the whale went back and told all the other whales how it was rescued by "aliens" from "out there" who are kind and care for all the whales.  The aliens deserve worship and adoration.

In a related story in a few years oceanographers will find something like this on the ocean floor.

:grin:

--------------------
What's up everybody?!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds