Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepete_gasparino
Identification
    #1456522 - 04/14/03 06:47 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hi,

Went for another trip today a few hours after it rained...I figure I'll go tomorrow too or maybe the next day if any haven't popped up yet. I found this one first, and when I tocuhed it it bruised first a dark blue which went black around the edges. It was growing straight out of some horse dung, but it was by itself which is unfortunate - I live on the south coast of NSW btw. The stem didn't seem to stain at all. The gills were a purple-black colour, and the cap itself was about 2 or 3 centimeters in diameter. It was tan around the edges, steadily growing more orange until the center. Apologies for the bluriness, I really gotta get the hang of this camera.

Now these particular mushrooms I find pretty much EVERYWHERE around the patch where I go picking (an area of rainforest/farmland in about a 1 or 2 km radius), from the road, through the forest, except not in the paddocks where the cows graze. They get quite big sometimes. I figured them for some kind of deadly shroom myself, with the gills being as white as they are.

This one I found in the paddock near some ferns....it just looked so strange I wondered what it was. There were a few of them around. White gilled, and I couldn't tell much else other than that it had a thick stem, and the shape was quite odd. It had water pooled inside the cap.

These I found in the paddock, growing directly out of cow dung along with a few others. They have golden caps that are quite smooth and shine in the sun. I couldn't notice any distinct staining simply because the caps were too dark. The gills are jet black, and I couldn't really take a sporeprint because when I brought the mushroom and set it down for a little while it was quite moist and the gills began to degenerate with the wetness. I'll go back in the next few days and see if they are still growing. They smell a bit odd, like when you smell rubber gloves, that sort of smell.

Thanks for the help - it's good to see we're getting a bit of rain here down south NSW way.

Pete

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identification [Re: pete_gasparino]
    #1456638 - 04/14/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The first one suggests a Psilocybe because of the growth in dung and blue staining. But the photo is fuzzy enough that I can't see much detail. Also, it's helpful in photos to show the underside of the cap so we can see the gills and stem.

The second one looks like a Xerula. Did the stem extend underground like a root? If so, it looks a lot like Xerula furfuracea.

The third one looks like a Lactarius. Again, you should show us the underside of the cap. To identify to species we need to know about bruising reactions of the flesh and the color (and any color changes) of the latex (cut the gills with a knife and some liquid should ooze out).

The last one, because you say the gills began to degenerate due to wetness, suggests a Coprinus. Many of them will degenerate into a puddle of ink-like goo after a few hours. The appearance in the photo isn't typical of Coprinus, though. Based on the photo I am more inclined to suggest Psathyrella. Unfortunately, Psathyrellas are very difficult to identify to species.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecube421
420guy
Loc: TX
Re: Identification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1457134 - 04/14/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

just exactly what kind of a camera are you trying to get the hang of? I might be able to give you some pointers....

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Re: Identification [Re: cube421]
    #1457202 - 04/14/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think you are looking for dunglovers too late down there pete... try pine forests and eucalypt forests after a cold snap for Woodloving Psilocybes..such as Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Identification [Re: mesq]
    #1458574 - 04/14/03 09:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hi,
The camera's an 'Aiptek'....it's a really small USB camera, maybe 15 cm long and three cm wide. It takes voice recordings, small movies and pictures, you can put it in high res mode or low res mode for the pictures. All the pics I take are in high-res

Ah thanks mesq, I've been looking for dung lovers for a while now.....is cyanescens a dung lover? Haven't had any luck with those.....just how cold would you say it needs to get, and how long after rain? It rained two days ago and its been cold/windy, and there's a eucalypt rainforest out the back and a pine forest up the road so I may try both depending....

thanks alot for the help

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
    #1458591 - 04/14/03 09:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

apparently our dunglovers require sub 10C temperatures to begin fruiting, so unless you've had some consistant cold, wet weather, you may have to wait a few more weeks before they begin to fruit. i've made a couple of treks into the blue mountains recently and had no success, and there certainly isn't anything growing locally in sydney at the moment.

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Identification [Re: jimbu]
    #1458795 - 04/14/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sub 10C? That's pretty cold...I don't know if it'd ever get that cold (except at night) consistently down here....that's for the dunglovers ? What about the woodlovers?

Offlinecube421
420guy
Loc: TX
    #1458817 - 04/14/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yes, cyans are dung lovers--- Cope cyans that Is =)

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Identification [Re: cube421]
    #1459132 - 04/15/03 12:48 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

he meant the woodlovers. dung lovers need it to be warmer.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Identification [Re: blaze2]
    #1459321 - 04/15/03 02:35 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yah i'm guessing that 10C includes nighttime temperatures! apparently they require these low temperatures to begin fruiting. keep a look out in the right areas... some posters on this board have found subaeruginosa growing in winter in metropolitan sydney (and it's likely to warmer up here than where you are). worst case scenario you could always take a road trip to victoria or canberra, it's fun and you might get lucky! :laugh:

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Identification [Re: jimbu]
    #1459424 - 04/15/03 04:07 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Metropolitan Sydney? That's a pretty good find.....maybe I oughta go look in Hyde Park or something :smile: I was thinking of maybe going up to the blue mountains when it gets a bit colder, you think I'd have any luck up there? until then I'll try the dung lovers next time it rains, and when it gets a bit colder the wood lovers
cheers
pete 

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1459595 - 04/15/03 06:19 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ps.tasmaniana and Ps.Subaeruginosa are both cold weather mushrooms that grow in Australia and have been reported fruiting off dung.
Generally Eucalypta and Subaeruginosa are cold weather mushrooms, as is Tasmaniana, but cubensis and Cope Cyanescens are warm weather mushrooms.
Id say that you have what looked like the bottom one is an inactive Panaeolus species - check either the hiddenforest website or melb royal botanical gardens pics.

--------------------

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Identification [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1461398 - 04/15/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

OK cheers I'll have a look around in the next few days....do psilocybes grow off all four legged animal dung? Because there's a sheep farm nearby and also a cow/horse one too...I've never tried the sheep farm
cheers

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate