Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Sterile print?
    #1458851 - 04/15/03 12:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hey,

I'm currently printing for the first time and have some doubts about my technique.

I simply cut the cap of the biggest potato I had in my first flush using a knife that was cleaned with lysol and rinced. I cleaned my hand with a regular soap before manipulating the potato. I dropped the cap on a piece of foil but I didn't clean the foil in any way. I just forgot. That was an unused piece of foil coming directly from the box but obviously not sterile I guess. I then put a jar over it that was cleaned with lysol and rinced. Before doing all that, I sprayed some lysol around.

Will it be a waste of time to make a syringe with that kind of print? In other words, would you accept this print as a trade knowing how it was made?

thanks..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Sterile print? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1458882 - 04/15/03 12:39 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

almost.. not quite though.

I made my first prints by taking a plastic circle I cut from a yogurt container lid, sterilizing that, and then printing on it. I used a sterile knife as you did, but then instead of using my hand on the cap I used a sterilized pin. I stuck the cap with the pin and stuck it on the piece of plastic, then I stuck the jar on it. I exposed the piece of plastic to the air for only a few moments to let the alchohol evaporate off, and then I stuck the jar on it. I cut the cap, lifted the jar for only a second (holding my breath) and then put the jar back on and sealed it in. After it printed for a bit, I got a ziplock bag in position to transfer the print into. The bag was brand new, not opened, and air-free. I lifted the jar, flicked off the cap with sterile tweezers, and then coaxed the print into the bag opening it only a tiny slit, and alchohol wiping any surface the print may touch beforehand. Once in the bag, I took a sterile syringe full of sterile water and poked a hole on a sterilized part of the bag and sprayed water inside. Keeping the sterilized needle in the bag as I swished the water around the print, the spores distributed, and I sucked the water back in the syringe.

The jars are colonizing and it appears that my tek has worked! No contams! I worked in still air environments as much as possible. I did the transfer from the sterile jar to the sterile bag in a drawer (holding my breath).

I think you should try again, it's hard to get everything right the first time because sterile environments are hard to make. Good luck!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation