Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Spores from space II
    #1570854 - 05/22/03 11:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

If a virus can survive space can a spore...?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sars/story/0,13036,961877,00.html

Sars virus 'came from outer space'

James Meikle, health correspondent
Friday May 23, 2003
The Guardian

It is not surprising that the World Health Organisation has had trouble fighting the Sars virus. According to one academic, it has probably came from out of this world.
Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe, of the Cardiff Centre for Astrobiology - a body founded by Cardiff University and the University of Wales College of Medicine - has long held that many plagues have an extraterrestrial origin.

He believes that huge amounts of micro-organisms land on Earth every day, including a tonne of bacteria. Given this, the chances would be that many surprise outbreaks of disease came from space.

He and his colleagues argue, in a research letter to the Lancet medical journal, that a strong case can be made for Sars being one of many illnesses from space, from the plague of Athens in the fifth century BC to the influenza pandemic of 1917-19.

Sars has killed more than 660 people and infected well over 7,000 during the past six months.

"The virus is unexpectedly novel and appeared without warning in mainland China," Prof Wickramasinghe writes.

"A small amount of the culprit virus introduced into the stratosphere could make a tentative fallout east of the great mountain range of the Himalayas, where the stratosphere is thinnest, followed by sporadic deposits in neighbouring areas.

"If the virus is only minimally infective, as it seems to be, the subsequent course of its global progress will depend on stratospheric transport and mixing, leading to a fallout continuing seasonally over a few years."

The WHO and other health bodies believe Sars is a coronavirus, related to a family of viruses that often cause colds.

Many scientists are working to confirm the theory that Sars simply mutated from another virus here on Earth. However, a supposition that it might have come from animals has been undermined by a failure to make it take hold in pigs and chickens. Tests are now taking place involving other species.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Spores from space II [Re: Xlea321]
    #1571639 - 05/23/03 07:04 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting!

I found this about spore discharge:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/fungi/spore-discharge-mushrooms.html

"To give you some idea of the difference in speed, steps 1 to 3 are analogous to someone slowly stretching an elastic band and then, in step 4, the elastic is released so that it returns to its original size almost instantaneously. The momentum generated by the collapsing water drop is enough to give the spore an acceleration of 25,000 times the force of gravity. By comparison the NASA Space Shuttle has a maximum acceleration of just a few times the force of gravity. The spore loses about 1% of its mass in the secretion of the sugars on the apiculus. To continue the rocket comparison, the Space Shuttle uses about 50% of its own weight in fuel during the first two minutes after launch."

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Spores from space II [Re: Xlea321]
    #1572628 - 05/23/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Allthough I do believe in the possibility of organism coming down from space, I think this Sars thing is bullcrap. It's just a scientist trying to get attention if you ask me. Sars is a coronavirus of which there are a lot on earth, and the scientists working on it believe it simply evolved from other viruses. A virus from space would probably be much more alien, and not as common as a corona virus.

Why would a virus from space be lethal to us? If it's from space it must have evolved seperately from us, and it would evolve to use a host on the planet where it was from. I don't think there's a good chance that such a virus would be compatible with our physique.

"Professor Wickramasinghe admits there is no hard evidence for his theory; and researchers who have been working on Sars reacted with a mixture of disbelief and ridicule.
There is nothing strange about the Sars coronavirus, they said; it certainly evolved from other known viruses.
One leading expert said Professor Wickramasinghe's letter "must be a joke"; another said it is simply ridiculous."

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Edited by cybrbeast (05/23/03 04:08 PM)

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Spores from space II [Re: cybrbeast]
    #1574101 - 05/24/03 04:28 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don't believe it either but if you ask: why would a virus from space be lethal to us? you should also ask: why would a spore from space grow on earth?

What's the difference between these questions? and what is your answer?

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Spores from space II [Re: Annom]
    #1574198 - 05/24/03 07:36 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Good point. I believe the very first organisms on earth might have come from space. In that time there were no other lifeforms (or very little) on earth, so there wasn't much competition. An organism with the right chemistry might survive in that place.
But if such an organism lands on earth now, it won't stand a chance because all the life forms on earth have already adapted to earth.
Many animal viruses aren't even infective to us, so why would a virus based on probably very different aliens be infective to us?

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Edited by cybrbeast (05/24/03 07:38 AM)

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Spores from space II [Re: cybrbeast]
    #14576804 - 06/07/11 09:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry for bringing back an old thread. The whole "spores come from outer space and when we shroom we have connection with outer worlds" theory is really interesting to me.

When this planet earth was just beginning, it was way way too hot to inhabit anything. The first life forms were in the ocean and then they evolved to go on land.

The first life forms had to have come from an outer world (an outer world that was very very hot like the earth at that time) and then evolved with the slowly changing states of the earth.

Essentially, EVERYTHING came from outer space. The big bang happened in one tiny little spot. EVERYTHING came from it.

InvisibleBoldAsLove
Pokemon Master

Loc: Kanto Region
Re: Spores from space II [Re: occollegeboi]
    #14576981 - 06/07/11 09:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:

The first life forms had to have come from an outer world (an outer world that was very very hot like the earth at that time) and then evolved with the slowly changing states of the earth.

Essentially, EVERYTHING came from outer space. The big bang happened in one tiny little spot. EVERYTHING came from it.

While this could be possible, it is not necessarily true. The theory of abiogenesis explains how life could have evolved on earth, and there are many experiments supporting it. Many people believe that if life started on Earth, all of a sudden a cell appeared, but not true. There were many stepping stones, like self-replicating RNA for instance. Here's a wikipedia link to it, and there's tons more info and explanations on google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

--------------------
DISCLAIMER: None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor :alientransform: and Ferdinand :cigar:, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Spores from space II [Re: BoldAsLove]
    #14577314 - 06/07/11 10:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I am with fluffyrhino... Earth started hot, but cooled, we could not have had water in liquid phase on earth unless it did... Being all life on earth has the same animo acids... Good chance we did not have any extraterrestrial immigration...

We have no evidence that spores or any life form can survive in space either.

Earliest life forms were single cell...'not spores

With that said... Possible some animo acids have come from comets and asteroids...

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #14577371 - 06/07/11 11:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:

You revived an eight year old thread for this? :facepalm:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Spores from space II [Re: Doc_T]
    #14577991 - 06/08/11 02:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, here's the damn article I was reading: http://bluehoney.org/2010/01/14/psychedelic-mushrooms-from-outter-space/

IF there is life outside of earth, it would need to be a kind of life that humans cannot understand. One that is completely unlike anything we've ever witnessed, and definitely one that can survive harsh conditions...VERY harsh conditions.

InvisiblelasdR
nostalgic sci-fi
 User Gallery

Loc: In your mind
    #14578172 - 06/08/11 03:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

if a comment is appropriate it would be "old". Yes, spores and such can survuve the deepfreeze in space over 100,000s of years. very resistant little buggers. its can be compared with seeds lasting longer if frozen correctly. As for life outside our own planet. Thats a given. Of course we are not special. Get ova yaselves :crazy: ?

--------------------
:crazyeyes::eek: :thirdeyeani:

Edited by lasdR (06/08/11 03:25 AM)

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Spores from space II [Re: lasdR]
    #14579049 - 06/08/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lasdR said:
if a comment is appropriate it would be "old". Yes, spores and such can survuve the deepfreeze in space over 100,000s of years. very resistant little buggers. its can be compared with seeds lasting longer if frozen correctly. As for life outside our own planet. Thats a given. Of course we are not special. Get ova yaselves :crazy: ?

Yay!! Finally, someone has my kind of logic!

Yah dude, there IS life outside of earth, but it's a very different life that we would be completely blown away if we ever discovered it.

I mean, we practically are in outer space right now only we are protected from the zero gravity (sorry, I'm not a science geek, I don't know the terminology for all this stuff) of space by the atmosphere of the earth.

Also, I'm sure there's been more findings regarding this since the start of this thread 8 years ago.

Offlineexplosivekush
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14580229 - 06/08/11 02:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i dont kno why someone would think there isnt life outside of earth.
and i agree with you.  some people say there isnt life on lets say some other planets in our solar system because the conditions are way to extreme. Way to extreme for our life form, ok. but im sure there are trillins of life forms that can survive what are extreme conditions to us. also, the universe is bigger then anyone can imagine :

Edited by explosivekush (06/08/11 02:56 PM)

OfflineWronguy

#14580679 - 06/08/11 04:30 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
Sorry for bringing back an old thread.

Please start a new topic next time. There is no good reason to revive an old thread, especially one that is 8+ years old. I'm only allowing this to continue because it has generated new discussion.

Thank you.

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Loc: the universe, the milky w...
Re: Spores from space II [Re: Wronguy]
    #14581218 - 06/08/11 06:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Fungi evolved much later than the first living things on Earth. Panspermia (the theory that life came to Earth from some other place in the universe) is a possibility, but not a certainty. If life was seeded to our planet it probably took the form of self-replicating RNA (which is not alive) and took time to evolve into the domain Archaea, the first living things on our planet.

Life was definitely not seeded by a spore.

--------------------
Open mind, open heart, open book.

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Spores from space II [Re: Wronguy]
    #14581307 - 06/08/11 06:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wronguy said:
Quote:

occollegeboi said:
Sorry for bringing back an old thread.

Please start a new topic next time. There is no good reason to revive an old thread, especially one that is 8+ years old. I'm only allowing this to continue because it has generated new discussion.

Thank you.

I'm sorry. I REALLY wanted to start a new thread but I've always been told to use the search function before making threads. Or is that only for the cultivation forum?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale