Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
This quick Iraqi victory is nothing to cheer about
    #1457687 - 04/14/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Another good read for ya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. media is touting this as the most effective military campaign in history, as the most humanitarian, with the least civilian deaths and damage to infrastructure ever planned and conducted.

U.S. General Thomas Franks is a hero, a genius in bringing victory at such a rapid pace.

Hold on. Before you cheer, consider the facts:

Since 1990, Iraq has been a state torn apart by the most severe and punitive economic sanctions ever slapped on a sovereign country. Absolutely nothing could enter or leave the country without approval of a U.S.-led committee overseeing the sanctions regime. In 1990, Iraq's air force, mechanized brigades, artillery pieces, mortars, heavy rifles and other military hardware were already in need of repair. Imagine the wear and tear after 12 years of sanctions that prevented Iraq's military from upgrading, updating or enhancing anything.

Remember the images of January 16, 1991 -- the way the night "sky over Baghdad lit up like a Christmas tree"? Compare that with March 19, 2003. There was clearly a significant drop in anti-aircraft fire in the night sky -- there were barely a few traces of which even to make note. Iraq had no weaponry worth mentioning.

While the U.S. polished its military might in the past 12 years, Iraq saw its army drop in numbers from one million commissioned men to barely 300,000. While the U.S. increased its airpower to near perfection, Iraq's air force dropped from 770 warplanes to nearly 280, with only a handful still able to fly, let alone conduct combat missions. Spare parts for Iraq's ailing military were strictly forbidden under the new sanctions regime.

Development in Iraq virtually ground to a halt, locked in a 12-year time warp. The telecommunications sector crumbled; the Internet was only allowed into Iraq in late 2000, and that after heavy lobbying at the U.N.

Disease and malnutrition swept the land as the World Health Organization released data showing the return of epidemics such as cholera, typhoid, and other deadly diseases. The U.N. said that more than 500,000 children died because of acute shortages in the health care system. Water mixed with sewage and, due to lack of spare parts to fix the crumbling water filtration plants (illegally bombed during the 1991 Gulf War), families were forced to drain potable water from suspicious sources.

The educational system was not spared decimation in the past 12 years. In 1995, the Iraqi government launched a massive worldwide appeal to Iraqis living abroad to ship medical books to Jordan and then into Iraq. Doctors in Iraq complained that they had not been able to attend conferences or medical institutions abroad; consequently, they could not bring themselves up to par with medical advancement elsewhere.

Iraq, already a Third World country, and some 383 billion U.S. dollars in debt, sunk lower and lower into poverty, misery, and backwardness. This resulted in a massive brain drain. Thousands of Iraqis mustered what finances they could and left Iraq for greener pastures and not necessarily because they were escaping Saddam's clutches, as some media pundits have exaggerated.

The Iraqi army, once the vanguard of the Middle East, had been reduced to a rabble force of hungry, desolate, and extremely poor fighters. The only force equipped, trained, paid and fed to sustain any kind of military conflict was the Republican Guard. However, their gear had all become antiquated by 1992.

Iraq was hardly the formidable foe the war hawks made it out to be. It was definitely not a victory worth mentioning. In fact, it was hardly a victory at all. And definitely not a war fought in only 21 days. Try 12 years. For 12 years, Operation Northern Watch and Southern Watch (U.S. and U.K. monitoring of the no-fly zones) saw Iraq's radar, air force, and anti-aircraft weapons pummeled systematically and routinely. A weak and defeated Iraq since 1991 was being made weaker by the day for 12 years.

Moreover, this quick victory will only strengthen the arguments posed by the anti-war camps: that Iraq was and is not a threat.

Now take China, for example. There's a fight for the history books!

Edit: here's the source

Edited by chodamunky (04/14/03 07:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: This quick Iraqi victory is nothing to cheer about [Re: chodamunky]
    #1457752 - 04/14/03 07:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't understand the title of your post. Do you believe it would have been better if the victory took three months to achieve? Three years?

I think the fact that that the war was "quick" rather than slow is definitely worth cheering about.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1457758 - 04/14/03 07:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Could you please start posting links to the story with the story? I'm getting tired of looking them all up. Plus I can't find that one.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Edited by z@z.com (04/14/03 07:06 PM)

Offlinearabmobster

Loc: Palestine
Re: This quick Iraqi victory is nothing to cheer about [Re: z@z.com]
    #1457796 - 04/14/03 07:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

no wonder ARabs hate america

Edited by arabmobster (04/14/03 07:17 PM)

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: This quick Iraqi victory is nothing to cheer about [Re: Phred]
    #1457798 - 04/14/03 07:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't understand the title of your post

If you read the article you will understand. Iraq wasn't worth the hype it was given, how it would be a tough and possibly long fight, that Iraq would use chemical weapons, and so forth, and so on.... It was a cheap victory over a country severely weakened after the first Gulf War and 12 years of tight ass sanctions. The short duration of the fight proved that Iraq was absolutely no match for the US, and so this "great victory or liberation" is nothing to cheer about.

Edit: btw, I updated the original post with a source link.

Edited by chodamunky (04/14/03 07:19 PM)

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1457869 - 04/14/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well with iraq out of the way, i hope you guys dont decide to pick on canada... :crazy:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Anonymous

#1457886 - 04/14/03 07:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

this isn't a football game you know.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: This quick Iraqi victory is nothing to cheer about [Re: ]
    #1457939 - 04/14/03 08:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

/me slowly puts down "John 3:16" sign, and removes rainbow wig.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1458141 - 04/14/03 09:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Edit: btw, I updated the original post with a source link.

Thanks man.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion