Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineeversuffer
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: NWI - shitville
sterilization tecks....
    #14569547 - 06/06/11 03:53 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

hey all,

been an on and off hobbyist on the subject. haven't been on this site for some time now.  here's what's up.....

starting a self sustained vertical aquaponics farm for local produce for my community.  also we're adding a mushroom farm since i have experience in the subject.  all my growing has been done inside homes/apartments with certain conveniences such as natural gas for my pressure cooker.  the building we're designing will run off electric only powered through solar, backed up to our grid (for now), and possibly another energy producing system we're coming up with....  there go a pressure cooker using a gas stove wont be an option.

so here's the meat.  i need to figure out what i could use as an autoclave that would be comparable to a pressure cooker running off just electric.  do we sterilize the same way as a pressure cooker or are other precautions used (ie glass jars)?  what brands are the most popular or recommended?  are there any teks on the subject?

we are planning to produce a lot of mushrooms on a monthly basis when this building is full time so multiple autoclaves may be needed to keep up.

thanks for all the input guys

--------------------
WE ARE ETERNAL, ALL THIS PAIN IS AN ILLUSION!!

I'M NOT A STALKER... I JUST OBSESSIVELY FOLLOW!  :smile:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: sterilization tecks.... [Re: eversuffer]
    #14569623 - 06/06/11 04:12 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

You might want to check out my 55 gallon drum sterilizer.  Mine runs on propane, but could easily be outfitted with a 5kw element to use electric heat.  I run 100 to 200 pounds of substrate blocks a day, but the boiler could easily triple that output.  There's no more economical method that I'm aware of, other than converting it to a wood-fired boiler, which is on my list for this summer, since I have an unlimited supply of standing-dead trees from an old forest fire area.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleDoctor_Inoc
Vintage Hand
Loc: Flag
    #14569630 - 06/06/11 04:13 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Search electric, All American Steroclaves.

Offlineeversuffer
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: sterilization tecks.... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14569882 - 06/06/11 05:14 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

yes, i'm very fond of your drum sterilizer and i came up with a method using the same basic principles but with an electric element like you said.  the only thing we were worried about was that since the drums are metal (and obviously water/steam is present) they could rust and would need repaired eventually. 

I love your mushroom farm in the mountain and was excited someone else was using shipping containers, as that is what we decided to use to design our buildings as well.

our goal is self sustainability, which is where power consumption becomes a factor.  i really do like your drum system, maybe we could adapt a stainless version of it, would be more expensive up front but wouldn't rust or need to be maintained.

thanks rogger!

--------------------

Offlineeversuffer
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#14569925 - 06/06/11 05:21 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

also roger,

i believe your drum system you only take to 2psi heating over 8 or so hours if im not mistaken?  could this be taken to 15psi or would the lids pop off?  and if that's the case could a heavy latching system work to contain the pressure safely?

--------------------

OfflinePerun
Mahapralaya...
Male User Gallery

#14570068 - 06/06/11 05:48 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
First:                                                        Then:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation