Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Psychotria Viridis, troubles and is it really Viridis? *PICS*
    #14542619 - 05/31/11 10:44 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I ordered this Psychotria Viridis from some e-tailer.

I've had it about 10 days and today I noticed it drooping big time.
Granted it was a warm day, got up to almost 90 F. I have it sitting in a windowsill that is open most the time. I'm trying to find some information on what type of conditions this plant should be in.
Should I use a humidity tent?
Does it like full sun or full shade?
Should I water it frequently or only when the soil dries?

and lastly, is this plant even Psychotria Viridis?

After seeing this post
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8648674

The leaves look more like the Psychotria Alba to me.
Shame on these e-tailers...shame.

Anyways here's a couple pics of it today, it looked rough. I gave it some water though and it perked right back up a couple hours later.

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Psychotria Viridis, troubles and is it really Viridis? *PICS* [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #14544202 - 06/01/11 05:06 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

yeah,  it's P. alba...  and its not their fault.  there was a major supplier that mislabeled their batches.  I'd say 70% of the seed floating around is alba.  (you're better off tracking down leaf cuttings of confirmed viridis)

(and how is an ethno supplier supposed to actually know they have viridis or alba?  They're not all botanists.  Many just buy and sell from other sources.    sure they should double check their stock if they want to provide what they say, but alot of times, you have to take people's words when you trade for seeds.  especially when you're not qualified to ID a plant as obscure as P. viridis.  Most people couldn't ID the two plants until this fiasco started.)

Edited by HarveyWalbanger (06/01/11 05:16 AM)

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
Re: Psychotria Viridis, troubles and is it really Viridis? *PICS* [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #14545030 - 06/01/11 11:52 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

P.Alba is a damn tough plant, but they do like their humidity. I'd treat it like Salvia, put it in a humidity tent until it's looking good, and then work on lowering the humidity over 1-2 weeks so it's comfortable. The only downside I've seen with growing Alba in lower humidity is the leaves sometimes rip when they are growing due to the lack of moisture. It doesn't seem to hurt the plant much though.

I've also noticed my bigger plant seems to be less than picky when it comes to watering, wet feet, dry feet, as long as you don't let it get too dry your fine. It seems to be hard to overwater these guys.

P.S. Alba seems to have a number of benefits over growing Viridis, namely cloning speed is VERY fast, and the growth rate is damn impressive too.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Psychotria Viridis, troubles and is it really Viridis? *PICS* [Re: RourkeAnderson]
    #14547165 - 06/01/11 08:14 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tips on the growing conditions! I'm gonna throw a tent on it tonight and water it more regularly.

Is alba just as active as viridis when it comes to DMT production?

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychotria Viridis, troubles and is it really Viridis? *PICS* [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #14547196 - 06/01/11 08:21 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

60% as much DMT, but due to the greatly increased growth rate and ease of reproduction, it's a much quicker source if you have the space.

It's been said that it grows twice as fast as Viridis, and I can vouch for it, having 1 4ft. plant and TONS of baby ones.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Psychotria Viridis, troubles and is it really Viridis? *PICS* [Re: RourkeAnderson]
    #14547267 - 06/01/11 08:35 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Ok thats cool, I'll just have to grow this into a mother and start taking cuttings when I have the space.

On a side note.

Will this work as a humidity tent? I mean I know it will hold the humidity but is it detrimental to have the leaves pressed downward by the bag like that?

I could try and find a wider bag I suppose, this bread bag is all I had around haha.

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

#14547316 - 06/01/11 08:45 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

It'll be hard to monitor it's condition. When the Alba is happy it's leaves are less droopy and more horizontal. There most likely won't be any physical issues due to the leathery and resistant leaves. If you have one of those Big-ass ziplock bags, that'd work great, hell you don't even have to fasten it, just prop it open over the plant and mist both (The Plant and Inside of the bag) whenever they're looking dry.

Another option (Less ideal, but should still work) would be to simply mist the little guy every chance you get, 4+ times a day, until he cheers up. Make sure not to oversaturate the soil, but spraying the leaves shouldn't cause any issues.

Like I said before Alba is tough as hell, so you could probably get away with just a bit of misting and have little in the way of detrimental effects. I happen to be get neurotic whenever I see plants drooping like yours was, and always toss them into a high RH% environment until they're happy again ^_^.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#14547868 - 06/01/11 10:44 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Ya I tried a 1 gallon ziplock bag but it wasn't any better. I'll try to get one of the larger ones that we get at work.

I'm only home and not sleeping for about 4 hours a day, but I'll just mist it as much as I can for now.

Thank again for all the tips!

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#14563561 - 06/05/11 10:06 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Out of curiousity, since I am far from a green thumb.

What type of fertilizer should I give my psychotria alba?
Should I start feeding now or wait a little while?
Should I use full strength according to the directions on the fert or maybe go half strength?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder