Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Need help with file transfer on Linux LiveCD
    #14546579 - 06/01/11 04:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Now that I have free time my HHD's/SSD's are getting wiped in every PC in my house.  That rootkit fiasco annoyed the shit out of me and after using FTK Imager to browse through my memory dumps I have a bad feeling that at least my laptop is still infected somehow.  I found a bunch of Java redirect scripts and hidden registry files just look weird to me.  The laptop is also far inferior in performance and I've noticed it's still sucking ass after rebuilding the MBR, formatting, reinstalling Win 7, etc. 

My Vertex 2's needed firmware upgrades so I went the Parted Magic route and really like it alot.  To test out hdparm I pulled an old Seagate barracuda out of my retired desktop, hooked it to the Intel controller on my x58 Sabertooth, and successfully did a secure ATA erase after hotplugging the power into the drive after the BIOS POST.  The shit scared me because you literally have no clue that anything is working immediately after initiating the command except for your HDD LED or something (I put my ear up to the drive to make sure it was working lol..). 

So, not having any idea how long a 500 GB HDD would take I just forgot about it for a few hours, came back and ran "hdparm -I /dev/sdx" which showed it was enabled while my other drives were not (I didn't mount any of them).  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I rebooted and the drive wasn't recognized.  Win 7 disk management showed it needed formatting so it worked! :highfive:

Now, the rootkit I had was never explicitly named in aswMBR or TDSKiller.  aswMBR just had a log indicating it according to the guys at bleepingcomputer.  My iTunes library is easily hundreds of dollars and every computer on my network had this bullshit.  Is there anyway to format the Seagate, transfer the library from my WD storage HDD, and not get any infected bullshit on the Seagate?  Is there a distro of Linux that can format drives in NTFS and do transfers?  I spent a bit looking to see if Parted Magic could do it, but I didn't see anything conclusive.  It doesn't recognize the drive I used hdparm on anyways unless I'm just missing something in the command console that I can do (complete Linux newb).

Thanks for any info, and I absolutely love Parted Magic.  I think I'm going to put Linux on my laptop, and it's definitely going on my desktop with my spare Seagate once I get this all figured out.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Need help with file transfer on Linux LiveCD [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #14548306 - 06/01/11 10:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you can look in /dev to see if the disk is recognized. it may just not be auto-mounting.

something like this:

Code:

ls -la /dev/disk/by-id
####### look at the output of that command to figure out what disk/partition you should be focused on.

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdX /mnt/disk/
####### sdX is your partition you want to mount. if its the first/only partition on the primary drive then it should be sda1. device a, partition 1. /mnt/disk/ is where you are mounting that volume. you can specify any empty folder you want.

any distro will do this.

if you want something to scan for infections as well then you may want to try something like SystemRescue CD. i believe that has ClamAV prepackaged.

formatting NTFS is a standard feature as well. install gparted within the live cd of whatever distro you use doesnt have one by default.

Linux definitely has a lot of jargon and it doesnt work the way youre used to.. it can scare people away. if you just take youre time though youll be fine.

its very easy.

my mom ran slackware for 3 years. my brother has been running ubuntu for almost 4 now. they dont know shit about computers.

--------------------

Edited by frith (06/01/11 10:20 PM)

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Need help with file transfer on Linux LiveCD [Re: frith]
    #14548856 - 06/02/11 12:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

wow this shit is hard core. I'm still looking at this so far:

http://www.appleexaminer.com/Resources/FTKMacForensics/FTKMacForensics.html

looks hard core. Does this manage iso image's of several dozen hard drives in one application? or am I completely lost. are there other way to store captured hard drive images besides as iso files? I'm such a newb at stuff like that.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#14548885 - 06/02/11 12:38 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

they don't know shit about computers? the point being that they have only basic knowledge about pc's but can use linux?

i always saw linux as kind of in between ms dos and gui windows. it has the gui just like windows, but you can do a lot of things command line. I guess it's nothing like ms dos, but still you can get a lot more involved in the command line.

i get the feeling that although ubuntu seems more user friendly, and opensuse seems more old school, that you can probably do a lot more command line interface stuff with opensuse, i mean it seems made for programmers.

really interesting os, i just never got around to learning much about it, but I definitely will some day.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#14548892 - 06/02/11 12:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yes, if you hold a hard drive in your hand, and it isn't humming, it's busted

:lol: rule #1 :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Need help with file transfer on Linux LiveCD [Re: imachavel]
    #14550056 - 06/02/11 09:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
they don't know shit about computers? the point being that they have only basic knowledge about pc's but can use linux?

yes. they use it daily and have no problems. the idea that linux is hard to use is pretty much irrelevant at this point.. it is not that difficult anymore.

Quote:

imachavel said:
i always saw linux as kind of in between ms dos and gui windows. it has the gui just like windows, but you can do a lot of things command line. I guess it's nothing like ms dos, but still you can get a lot more involved in the command line.

i get the feeling that although ubuntu seems more user friendly, and opensuse seems more old school, that you can probably do a lot more command line interface stuff with opensuse, i mean it seems made for programmers.

the linux shell and dos are similar in that they both have a command line interface but thats about where the comparisons end. they are EXTREMELY different.

and command line interface =/= programmer

i dont know anyone who uses suse anymore. that was really popular when i first started out around 2001-2002 but there are much better alternatives at this point. it really doesnt matter what distro you choose.. in general, the only real difference is the very high level applications you interact with (music players, desktop environment, browser, etc). the base system is more or less the same on every distro.

and one more thing..

see this link above each one of your posts?

fucking use it. there is no reason for you to post 3 times in a row over the course of 6 minutes.

--------------------

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14550131 - 06/02/11 09:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I didn't listen to the drive to see if it was busted.  The reason for me putting my ear to it was to ensure the secure erase worked after running hdparm in the console, because you don't get some GUI showing progress.  The information hdparm -I returned before running the secure erase indicated the drive was frozen by the BIOS (common to prevent malware from writing protected areas).  If you interrupt the erase before it completes you can lock the drive because you set a password before running the secure erase.  That specific drive had a host protected area so it was perfect to test out the secure erase function. 

In Win 7 it is uninitialized, meaning no boot record/partition/format, so the secure erase worked perfectly. 

FTK Imager is really cool, especially if your computer has a rootkit or something hijacking the Windows kernel.  I'm no pro at this shit, but when you do a memory dump you can view the .dmp it produces in hex or text.  From the text that is available (tedious scrolling through 9 GB bit by bit) you can see a lot of shit in your memory.  I recorded a lot of the stuff I found to be odd in a Word doc. and will post it to bleepingcomputer/avast! site when I get home later.  There are a few areas that have Java scripts, and they have to malicious. 

@Frith, do you have aim or something dude?  I have a few questions and after spending an hour last night trying to search for commands I didn't come up with anything definitive for what I need to do in order to get the wiped drive recognized (initialized as windows calls it), mounted/formatted idk which is first, and then transfer my itunes lib to it so I can run the erase on the rest of the drives.

BTW, do you know if you can run hdparm on simultaneous drives?  I know the SSD will only take seconds to a minute but I have a couple terabyte sized 7200rpm WD's that will take a long ass time I imagine.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Edited by 5HTSynaptrip (06/02/11 10:01 AM)

Invisiblefrith
God

#14550159 - 06/02/11 09:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

nah no aim.. im on IRC all the time.

its been a long time since ive used hdparm so i dont know how much help ill be with that stuff specifically.

if it totally wiped absolutely everything from the drive then you may need to create a partition table before you can format it.

with GParted you just select the drive you want then in the top menu, go to Devices > Create Partition Table.

Make sure that you specify the MSDOS type partition table.

click ok.

once that is finished you need to create your partitions and write them to the disk. do whatever you want here.. its up to you.

once you have that all taken care of you can mount the devices.

see my above post for how to mount manually.

--------------------

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14550169 - 06/02/11 09:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome, that was what I thought yesterday from reading about the features in Parted Magic but I wasn't sure.  For some reason I have to add nofstabdaemon before booting to the LiveCD after running secure erase because the boot will just hang when it creates that part.  :shrug:

Thanks a bunch man! +5

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#14551932 - 06/02/11 05:30 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:

and one more thing..

see this link above each one of your posts?

fucking use it. there is no reason for you to post 3 times in a row over the course of 6 minutes.

why yes sir.

when you put it like that, with the fucking adjective in front of it, how could I not comply?

on serious note, thanks for the linux advice. I won't be using it any time soon, unless i buy a new computer. if I get rich over night, then I probably certainly will buy a new computer and install linux. How easy is it to transfer files between linux and windows on a simple network?

EDIT :lol:

--------------------

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14555398 - 06/03/11 12:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So after the secure ata erase of the barracuda the parted magic livecd doesn't boot.  It hangs at /etc/fstab.  If you hit "tab" at the boot screen and add nofstabdaemon this allows me to get into parted magic, but the drives don't show. 

I'm guessing this is because the barracuda is erased, has no partition, and is not formatted.  Is nofstabdaemon what I should be using?  Is there another command that would be better for a wiped disk?

--------------------

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14571173 - 06/06/11 07:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So I got all of my drives wiped using Secure ATA Erase from Parted Magic LiveCD.  The first drive I tried it on was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 and as soon as I initiated the secure erase it said completed... that = :facepalm: .  Obviously any HDD doesn't instantly erase so I figured it was fucked and frozen.  It ended up being much worse than that, and for some reason Parted Magic wouldn't load at all unless I started it using nofstabdaemon which rendered it useless.  Win 7 recovery console would not load with the drive plugged in and Win 7 itself took 2 min to load on a Vertex 2.  :crankey:  Trying to initialize the drive in any way caused a BSOD and I have no clue why (tried both the Marvell SATA III and Intel controllers).  For some reason that shit bricked my Barracuda and even the Seagate utilities didn't work on it. 

All of that to backup my iTunes library before wiping everything.  I remembered I had a shitty 5400rpm HDD from my Dads laptop after putting in a WD Scorpio.  So finally I backed it up and it took 3.5 hours each for 1 TB WD HDD, but it's nice to have everything back to new.  The Vertex is running amazingly well, just like it did when it was new.  For whatever reason the Marvell controller on the Sabertooth x58 board just sucks major ass.  Parted Magic is an amazing thing though and I really, really love it.  GParted is amazing, and just the ability to bypass all the bullshit Win 7 forces on you is a nice treat so I have a 100 GiB partition I set aside for Ubuntu. 

Time to finally OC this fucker!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom