Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDatrutankdogg69
Cyan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Pacific NW, Or.
GloveBox Alternative.... EVERYONE READ
    #1454013 - 04/13/03 02:30 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Grain Jars Ready for innoculation
Lots of alchohol
Big bowl with loose lid
Thick cloth or rag
Sterile Spore or myc. syringes
Lysol

How Bout this... Spray down the bathroom or what room u use. When innoculating your quart jars, take a thick cloth(rag) or something of the sort and soak with alc. Take rings off jars scrub hands an around lid. Then dip again and drape around jar to be innoculated twist to wipe jar then make a "seal" aroung glass part of jar. Then crack it open if there is a seal (No filter in the lid) Then air entering the jar should be sterilized by alchohol filter(Right?) Then stick your sterile spore syringe thru the rag sterilizing the tip in the proccess....

Could work Theoreticly, Couldn't it???

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineUnknown
Confused,dizzy,wheream I again?
Loc: MA
Re: GloveBox Alternative.... EVERYONE READ [Re: Datrutankdogg69]
    #1454057 - 04/13/03 02:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

This is really not practical. You don't need a glovebox to innoculate jars anyway unless you are doing a grain to grain transfer. Just sterilize your jars and innoculate them. I've seen jars innoculated in rooms full of blunt smoke and the room was dirty as hell and the jars were still fine,they did have a filter disc though. Also,if you do want to do grain to grain transfers it's really not hard to make a glovebox,you should be able to make one for less than $30 and in less than a hour

--------------------
The above is just like,my opinion man

Edited by Paradis (04/13/03 03:01 AM)

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: GloveBox Alternative.... EVERYONE READ [Re: Anonymous]
    #1454072 - 04/13/03 03:14 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You don't even need a glovebox for g2g transfers. My friend made a real easy glovebox that's worked for him so far. He took a clear storage bin, turned it on its side so the opening faces him and duct taped a piece of garbage bag (just use one layer) over the opening (what was the top). Then he jabbed scissors into two spots where he wanted the arm holes to be and enlarged these holes until they're just big enough to fit the jars into the box.

He puts the stuff in the box sprays the interior, his hands and forearms with rubbing alcohol, and uses latex gloves from the pharmacy. You can see through the side facing up, since its a clear container, just be sure not to let the garbage bag overlap onto that side much. There are better ways to do it but he wanted a quick one and hasn't bought a dedicated box to use yet, the clear box was an old terrarium.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

OfflineKilljoy
TheHyperdimensionalSlug

Re: GloveBox Alternative.... EVERYONE READ [Re: psyphon]
    #1454608 - 04/13/03 01:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone who thinks you need to spray lysol all over the place, and use the oven-sterile-tek (pfftt), and use glove boxes.... I believe they do not have a very strong grasp of sporulation and the physics related to miniscule particulate matter.

Fungal spores are NOT floating around in the air in any quantities that one should worry about. Spores sit on surfaces and get stuck to utensils, or swept up into the air. So wipe down your surfaces with soap and water, or alcohol, or hell, even just a rag...

Household dust = something like 10% fungal spores.

So consider the surface you are using.
If you closed the door to the room and left it for 6 months and came back, would it be covered with dust? The more dust, the more chance of contams.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation