Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Niacin, cure for depression?
    #14536296 - 05/30/11 02:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
^v^

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
Loc: off the wall
Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: foliocb]
    #14540811 - 05/31/11 02:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure the doses he recommends would be safe in the long term:

Quote:

Potential Side Effects of Vitamin B3 (niacin)

Niacin is a vasodilator. It makes the blood vessels widen, which in turn leads to improved circulation. However, this can cause a side effect referred to as flushing characterized by skin redness, itching and irritation, as well as headaches, lightheadedness and low blood pressure.

Niacin flushing is more likely to occur in serving sizes larger than 50 milligrams to 100 milligrams. Adjust the serving size of niacin as necessary if side effects occur.

Large amounts of niacin can also cause liver damage, and may aggravate peptic ulcer disease. Most stomach-related side effects usually go away over time. Taking niacin with food may prevent stomach discomfort. People with a history of liver disease or stomach ulcers should not take niacin supplements. Those who are pregnant, diabetic or who suffer from asthma, gallbladder disease, gout, glaucoma or ulcers should seek the advice of a medical professional prior to taking this vitamin. High amounts of nicotinic acid (approximately 3 grams daily) has caused impaired glucose tolerance in otherwise healthy individuals.

Check with your health professional before use.

WARNING! Taking 2 grams niacin or more in a single serving can result in potentially life threatening complications from flushing. Do not take more than 500 milligrams Niacin in a single serving as extreme discomfort associated with flushing may be experienced. For some people, even small servings of 50 to 100 milligrams can result in uncomfortable flushing. Taking a single 325 mg aspirin 30 minutes before taking niacin may help reduce flushing symptoms.

OfflineR.J. Schiffler
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: deranger]
    #14591458 - 06/10/11 04:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I wish I would have read the second post before I took 500 mg of niacin on an empty stomach.

It seems to be helping though.

--------------------
Check out my store on Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SchaefferFineArt?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: R.J. Schiffler]
    #14592170 - 06/10/11 07:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Some doctors are so fucking stupid, no matter how smart they are.

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

#14598786 - 06/12/11 12:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah a mate of mine had some bad bad effects from niacin :P

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: indica] * 1
    #14598847 - 06/12/11 12:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I used to regularly take 3 grams a day and it actually was awesome. I even have a previous post from here where I talk about niacin being an awesome anti-depressant. Give it a try, it's weird.

Also, the niacin flush is fucking awesome. So many people bitch about it like it's withdrawing from heroin or something, but it's really nothing. Seriously, man up. If 30 minutes of skin irritation is the worst thing to happen to you, your life is good.

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: Azure Essence]
    #14598917 - 06/12/11 12:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah?

is there any research into if there are actually certain types of people who suffer worse reactions? i want to use it for training as apparently it feeds a lot of nutrients directly to muscle groups and improves strength, but frankly im scared :P

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: indica]
    #14599672 - 06/12/11 06:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the flush from niacin is good from what I hear :lolwut:

--------------------
^v^

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #14599916 - 06/12/11 08:50 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I certainly haven't noticed anything beyond a slight flushing from it and I take about 1200 MGS for my cholesterol. Works pretty good for that though.

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #14600904 - 06/12/11 01:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'd be more worried about long term side effects.

Crimini mushrooms are an excellent source of niacin.

Have you tried large doses of spirulina, and avoiding refined surgar to combat high cholesterol?

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
    #14601109 - 06/12/11 02:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Shit, broken pic link

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

#14601458 - 06/12/11 03:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

what the fuck... that gif in your sig is the best
:gameover:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #14602009 - 06/12/11 05:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deranger said:
I'd be more worried about long term side effects.

Crimini mushrooms are an excellent source of niacin.

Have you tried large doses of spirulina, and avoiding refined surgar to combat high cholesterol?

No, but I do have to take a Statin and Niaspan which controls it well. I try to avoid sweet things, but it's hard as I have quite the sweet tooth. I might look into Spirulina, though.

InvisibleHairyTaco
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14612847 - 06/14/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm giving niacin a try, I just bought a bottle today.

*edit*
No joke about the skin flush!  I just took my first ever niacin pill just 15 minutes ago before I ate and I can already feel my face and ears heating up.  My face is red and it literally feels like I'm laying in the bright sun!

Edited by HairyTaco (06/14/11 03:52 PM)

Offlinedon_vedo
MerKaBa
Male

Loc: 5th dimension
Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: HairyTaco]
    #14614602 - 06/14/11 09:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

HairyTaco said:
No joke about the skin flush!  I just took my first ever niacin pill just 15 minutes ago before I ate and I can already feel my face and ears heating up.  My face is red and it literally feels like I'm laying in the bright sun!

When I was a teen I remember hearing that taking a high dosage of niacin would clean a person's system of marijuana. I remember taking that high dosage so that I could take a drug test for a job I was hoping to get; lets just say bad idea. It was very intense, skin became really hot, red and agitated; I couldn't sleep and felt like absolute shit. Not a fun experience that's for sure. Be careful when dosing this stuff fellas, not to much or you'll be miserable!

Lah'Kesh

--------------------
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us all. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

Offlinespawn101
Stranger
    #15767372 - 02/06/12 07:07 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

niacin is a well known cure  for depression.
Bill Wilson,the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. He is one of the well known person that has been promoting niacin as a cure for depression. Bill has battled with depression for a very long time. After meeting with psychiatrists Abram Hoffer and Humphrey Osmond, Bill began to discover niacin as a cure for depression.
Bill was a very strong supporter of niacin as a cure for depression. He even tried to introduce it’s use to Alcoholics Anonymous but was rejected. He published articles and a book "Pass It On" about his struggle with depression and how niacin has helped.
Niacin also has it's side effect, flushing. It varies depending on individual. Start with small dosage and increase it slowly. Consult your doctor when in doubt.
You can visit here for more info: http://www.niacinfordepression.net

Edited by spawn101 (02/07/12 05:50 AM)

Anonymous #1

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: spawn101]
    #15767571 - 02/06/12 08:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Bill Wilson almost killed people with niacin. It's little wonder they kicked him out of the organization for what he attempted to do with that stuff. If it were so effective then why aren't they using it in place of the medications that we already know work? Niacin has been brought up a lot here these past two or three months now. This is a dead subject as far as I'm concerned.

OfflineDest
Roller-Derby Coach
 User Gallery

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #15768101 - 02/06/12 12:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yo i some niacin in my moisturizer;  rub that on my balls when im in the shower. :feelsgoodman:

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

#15768736 - 02/06/12 02:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

this is an interesting thread considering you were in my thread basically discrediting everything regarding orthomolecular protocols just two months ago.  do i believe that Niacin is a critical cofactor to use in so called mental illness?  of course and you know this, this is the funny thing yet your behavior with me flies in the face of this thread you put up 7-8 months ago.  i really don't get you at all man, i mean i get the video and buy into it completely but how could someone change so radically over a relatively short period of time.  i honestly don't know what to make of you, there is something seriously wrong with you, to cut me down while encouraging others to use it.  to tell me and three others you use adderal twice a week about 2 months ago and up until less then a month ago you make the same claim but that you've quit and then admit that you're still tapering off a two day a week "addiction" habit just this past week?  how does someone quit a month ago to tapering off one week ago on a habit of use of only two days in a 7 day week?  an addiction is a 7 day a week habit for a drug like adderal...  :shrug:

and then there is the grain thing where you condemned everyone for eating grains and tell them protein and fats is where it's at and then you tell me you're eating grains?  and then you post that your friends are at fault in your relationship with THEM?  i'm still having a real hard time understanding how you could criticize my use of Niacin and other supplements when the MD in your video, who i happen to agree with said it is a requirement for those deemed depressives, schizophrenics, schizoaffectives and bipolars with psychosis... everything else aside, what was the purpose of cutting me down when you clearly supported it it at one point in time?  and isn't some type of commentary needed in conjunction with a video as in other forums or is that just in specific forums, i mean you threw something out there then allowed everyone to comment on it and you didn't say a word afterwords.  :shrug: you mock me by calling me Mr IV C yet IV C is saving lives in teaching hospitals all over the country now, so yeah, i'm Mr IV C, like i've already said, i'll wear that badge to the grave.  do you know how much shit i've put up with defending that protocol against others?  including you and now that i've been proven right it's either brushed under the rug or continued to be thrown up by you as something useless... :facepalm:  ohh my god how fucked up this is...  you'll remember this shit one day when someone in your family is facing chemo and radiation and you'll wonder what you should do.  you'll ask yourself, "do i tell mom there might be a better more safer way to approach this?"  will you say that a 41 year old geezer you openly criticized told you about this 40 plus year old protocol and how it can save her?  or will you take all of the credit for finding it "on your own"?  hey, i have no problem not giving me the credit just make sure you give your mom a fucking fighting chance at life instead of with holding the information due to the source that refused to skype with you...  this is all due to the fact that i will not skype with you man...  that i couldn't bring myself to even look at you over skype, let alone talk with you...  i had tons of information to give you, but now i could care less about you...

(edit) and there was another dude in the same thread of mine that sent me a PM thanking me for helping him saying "to your credit, i've been taking vitamins and am feeling much better" or some shit and he turned out to be a bigger problem then you on issues because he turned around and more aggressively criticized me after i continuously pointed out the PM he sent me praising the results... he was seriously fucked in the head,  it's hard to say if his problem was a personality disorder or a more serious mental illness, i believe he was more mentally ill and i mean seriously ill... i still have his PM too if he should decide to jump aboard the band wagon again, i haven't seen him in awhile but he's logged in today after being away awhile or just keeping a low key profile.... very weird dude................................................................

now to give some props to your Niacin.  as far as the one poster who said it's dangerous, i know someone who has been using 13+ grams per day for well over 10 years and there are no health consequences, her blood chemistry is stellar, includo=ing liver function tests.  if you're concerned regarding effects on the liver use a high quality milk thistle to continuously detox the liver...  the stuff is so awesome there are multiple dozens of articles on PubMed on it's effective use of treating an alcoholics liver successfully and the same goes for its use in treating several forms of liver cancers on PubMed also, but i'm using 3 grams per day and my blood chemistry is awesome, it was Niacin along with b2 and b6, b6 in a methylated form which is what did the trick for me...

and as far as toiletduk using it to control cholesterol at 1.2 grams, i'm not surprised because Niacin is hands down the most effective and safest way to lower and control high LDL, not that high LDL is really the problem they claim it is, because from what i've learned it isn't, but if you're really convinced this is a real problem for you then by all means use Niacin and milk thistle if your really worried about liver damage.  not to go off on a tangent but if i were only allowed to use one herb only it would be milk thistle because a healthy liver function is pretty much guaranteeing good health over a get by or liver in crisis.  so yeah, good for you toiletduk. (edit) it's only real draw back is it does tend to lower blood sugar so if you're having a blood sugar test done you should stop using it for at least one week in order to get proper blood sugar level readings.  tat's about it, that's the only real draw back to using high doses of Niacin...

as far as the guy who started alcoholics anonymous goes, i believe he was on the right path but clearly if he was promoting the non flush version of Niacin he was asking for trouble because there are many articles and studies on PubMed that clearly say that shit is toxic to the liver as opposed to standard Niacin.  tweak a naturally occurring molecule to get a desired effect of a non flush action and you've possibly created not only an ineffective molecule but a potentially dangerous one to boot!  the flushing is a vasodialation of blood carrying vessels, which is very desirable and besides, the flushing action becomes less and less over time to the point there is no flushing but you still gain all of the benefits because some vasodialation will always occur.  on top of it's benefits for psychosis or "pellegra" it does so many other good shit it can't be ignored.  am i going to encourage everyone to use it at higher doses then the RDA?  yes, definitely because the RDA is the new definition for what was once called "the minimum amount needed to sustain life"...  who the fuck in their right minds wants to settle for just sustaining life when you could live vibrantly at 100-200% above the RDA standards? we're not talking a lot of Niacin here when you look at the RDA standards.  many people develop problems utilizing specific cofactors at different ages and require either more or in cases where a gene expressed itself a methylated form needs to be used in order to circumvent a particular action in a short or long cascade of body processes.  shit happens man, genetics is where it's at right now, it can reveal everything once they identify the markers and determine if markers are defective or missing. 

i'm willing to go out on a limb and say that supplements are going to be more widely used to treat all illnesses once the pass codex alimentarius.  they've tried to pass it three times already and only one piece of legislation received more of a higher voter/constituency turnout by phone and that was when Clinton and the gun grabbing dems like shummer(sp?) tried to control firearms....  the NRA just happens to be the most powerful lobby in Washington yet a grass swell movement was able to stop codex three times so far like i said and it comes up for vote again this year too...  why is codex so dangerous?  because it places complete control of supplements in the hands of the pharmaceutical companies.........  they are behind codex, they know the complete effectiveness of supplements in curing all illness, but you can't patent a naturally occurring molecule so they want to control its use and distribution through legislation...  if and when they pass codex, you will need a doctors prescription for anything above the RDA and only a critically controlled environment can be used to manufacture them when this is not necessary.  worried about the quality of your vitamins?  buy from companies that meet certain standards.  don't buy cheap overseas shit.  i've been in generic drug plants that mass produce supplements using top of the line tablet compression machines and encapsulators who sell in bulk to others who repackage.  my buddy does purity testing on many compounds including supplements and he's pleasantly surprised at the number of high quality supplements out there.  don't buy shit!  do your homework!  but do not let the pharmaceuticals gain full control of supplements like in Europe where a low dose IU bottle of vitamin d costs 40 plus euros where a higher IU dose at the same quantity of capsules can be purchased for 2-3 euro's here in the US.  yep, they passed codex in Europe years ago... fuck that...  we should have a right to our own self directed form of health care, my old allopathic MD's are fucking jerkoffs, know it all's who missed 4 serious health issues i had for 8 years, let alone the genetic weaknesses i had that they we're totally oblivious even existed! so much for modern allopathic science!

and as far as the MD in the video stating vitamin C is awesome for everyone i say right on dude!  i believe everyone should be consuming a minimum of 2 or more grams a day! and i use phospholipid vitamin C because it is damn near 100% used by the body as opposed to running the risk of malabsorption...  this shit is absorbed so completely that MD's who have been treating cancer with 100-150 grams of buffered IV C are now using it as part of an oral protocol.  so if your health food store doesn't carry it ask them to order it for you or order it  online as all forms available on the net are of the highest quality due to the nature by which it is manufactured, after you do your own due diligence and not accept my word for it... from what i've learned, this shit is rapidly taken up by the cells... please, look it up everyone, you will not be disappointed with this product.

K~~~ :psychsplit:

Edited by cateyes (02/06/12 04:58 PM)

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
    #15769010 - 02/06/12 03:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Here's to the FDA, APA, AMA and BIG PHARMA!!!

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: cateyes]
    #15769532 - 02/06/12 05:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I love niacin and the flush that comes with it.  I feel all warm and tingly and it helps me feel mentally clear.

--------------------

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #15771280 - 02/06/12 10:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

you'll remember this shit one day when someone in your family is facing chemo and radiation and you'll wonder what you should do.  you'll ask yourself, "do i tell mom there might be a better more safer way to approach this?"

nice try. I think it would be something more like "if its their time, its their time. We all die one day."

Hmm... for a guy who claims he doesn't fear death you sure seem to want nothing to do with it:rolleyes: wonder why...

--------------------
^v^

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #15771313 - 02/06/12 10:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

reeferaddict69 said:
I love niacin and the flush that comes with it.  I feel all warm and tingly and it helps me feel mentally clear.

momma didn't raise no fool, that's for sure!  all b vitamins are great for the brain but Niacin is the best in my opinion, calmness, awareness and clearness...  i still turn a bit red but no longer have the skin sensations as far as feeling it goes, that past about two months into using it, at least it did for me...  it's good to hear positive shit regarding Niacin...

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

#15771418 - 02/06/12 11:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

~

i'm on a Primus kick today...  listened to nothing but Primus today while doing desk work...  i noticed you have no comment regarding Niacin and depression...  you're own thread and all you have to say is post some schitck on carlin who never addresses the issue of death the way he did in the pacifica "INTERVIEW" not some comedy routine where his goal is to make people laugh...  and let's assume this was his attitude, he seems cool with it as if it were a part of the life cycle, joking about it as it were, sure seemed that way to me....  and of course i'm going to use IV C to treat my cancer IF i develop it.  does this mean i fear death? NOT!  this means i don't appreciate a painful death, i'm no fool... :rolleyes:  you're gonna use IV C and so is your mom, great spirit bless her...  i truly mean this too, bless her...

Primus - Greet The Sacred Cow

K~~~ :psychsplit: :aliendance:

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: cateyes]
    #15771628 - 02/07/12 12:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

the issue of death the way he did in the pacifica "INTERVIEW" not some comedy routine where his goal is to make people laugh...

the one vid you still have left to link? :lol:

and btw, I never made any claims about niacin. I asked a question in my thread title and posted a youtube vid. Thats it... nice try?:rolleyes:

--------------------
^v^

Edited by foliocb (02/07/12 12:15 AM)

Offlinespawn101
Stranger
Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #15772407 - 02/07/12 05:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
Bill Wilson almost killed people with niacin. It's little wonder they kicked him out of the organization for what he attempted to do with that stuff. If it were so effective then why aren't they using it in place of the medications that we already know work? Niacin has been brought up a lot here these past two or three months now. This is a dead subject as far as I'm concerned.

wow .. i am surprised by that. So far, i have not read or came across any one being killed by niacin overdose when using niacin to treat depression.

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

Re: Niacin, cure for depression? [Re: spawn101]
    #15775031 - 02/07/12 05:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i wouldn't sweat it spawn101...  Niacin never hurt anyone and Bill Wilson was brilliant, the problem is he created an environment of non dependence, he healed people.  he was way ahead of the curve in my opinion because he relied on information that was well known but completely ignored but i looked into Bill Wilson after reading your post and he describes Niacin flushing which means he relied on standardized Niacin.  and the MD in the OP deserves Kudos too...  all B vitamins are good for us and as i've already pointed out the RDA used to be called "the minimum amount needed to sustain life"...  why they changed the definition is up to debate but the amounts changed very little and other nutrients were added since the levels were established in the 1930's...

that was a great first post... :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules