Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Are YOU a psychedelic thinker?
    #1451016 - 04/11/03 08:58 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Surely this is old news...
Homo Cyber--

http://www.matrixmasters.com/speaking/mindstates/mssun01/hc01/hc01.html

What's your take on the evolution of Man in the coming 100 years or so? How will technology play into this evolution? And, out of curiousity due to my lack of knowledge concerning the subject-- When and if we do achieve the melding of man and machine, will there be technology to regenerate tissue and sustain our lives indefinately, eliminating the need to procreate until we have spread out more in the universe? Hey, it'd be pretty cool!
Are YOU a psychedelic thinker?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: Alobar]
    #1451200 - 04/11/03 10:10 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Information can be accessed by most everyone easily now than then. Education will improve overall, medacine will help people live long and healthy lives. I believe technology will grow at an exponential rate, and eventually, after we exhaust our bodies to the point of no return, we will turn to machanical appendages and such, along with genetic engineering.

The average human can be sistained for at least 200 years with biotechnology and cybernetiks. After that, the brain will have to be studied for ways to preserve the brain. That technology will be found, but along the way humans will find a new interest in the workings of the mind, psycology and phillosophy. Soon after this, we will be able to do anything.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: Murex]
    #1451502 - 04/11/03 11:56 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I'm thinkin' something along the lines of super pills...

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1452526 - 04/12/03 01:08 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Well, to make super pills the pharmaceutical companies are going to have to start with making a pill that doesn't kill you. I don't know of any synthetic pills you could take for more than a few years without vaporizing your liver or something.

I think the whole man-machine thing is complete bullshit. Living bodies are not machines. Our medical paradigm says they are.. Industrial age thinking. Thinking of the body as a machine works for some things.. we can take one part out and replace it with another, but I don't think it's a complete view. I don't think we are capable of understanding the complexities of our organs.. especially not our brains.. We'll never make a seamless connection with organics and machinery.. not in any way promoting longevity.

And why does everybody call it evolution? Technology has nothing to do with evolution, because when you evolve you can't revert back. With technology though, you can lose your car and computer and go into the woods and boom you're a human from a hundred thousand years ago.

We'll see I guess.

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1452626 - 04/12/03 01:45 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I disagree. Evolution brought about the rise of technology via the brain power of higher Primates. Natural selection got us this far, now it is up to our intelligence to carry us further. With the double exponential rate of technological growth on this planet, it seems inevitable that we will soon- within the next few years, even- succeed in seemlessly merging man and machine. I happen to like the implications of some of the points made in the above speech. Soon humans will no longer have to access information with their hands and eyes- the machines will be directly accessable wirelessly in the brain. This makes sense to me- many have said that speech will soon become "ur-like," not seen or heard but beheld. This will be achieved in the next few years with our jumpstarting evolution. Perhaps these "machines" will not consist of the hard shiny stuff that is usually associated with the word; rather, perhaps these machines will be organ like and regenerative- the technology already exists in the form of stem cell research. We will incorporate additions to our anatomy under a more "natural" context, though arguably everything is natural.
As for humans being machines, well... this is another example of inadequate thought conveyance. Soon the machinery of our society will be so refined that it will be impossible to distinguish between "natural" and "synthetic." It's gonna be a party...

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1452661 - 04/12/03 01:55 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Yes, and in the nineties we will have flying cars and vacation on the moon.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International
    #1452681 - 04/12/03 02:01 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I think technology is doing anything but help us evolve. In fact, I think its doing the exact opposite. We're losing our connection with nature to a machines. The internet is a great tool for spreading knowledge and understandings but it's rarely used for that. A human being one thousand years ago would be able to survive in nature much longer than a present day human, technology aside, just basic surivival skills. It seems to me humans are stuck ina ditch that we might never get out of. I believe our thinking took a turn for the worse years and years ago. This could be only the western society countries though.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: Cherk]
    #1452832 - 04/12/03 03:13 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Technology is mankinds brother, it has brought us the internet a mass information archive that lets people around the world to share diffrent views, technologies and increase our knoledge of psychedellic plants.

It is just the most ovious next step in an evalutionary process, our bodys have very little changed over time but our minds are increasingly becomeing more aware and able to create even more complex technology.

This can even be shown in the way technology is Evolving especialy with computers, just remember is wasnt long ago since we where using using 386 processors then 486 ect and soon quantom computers.

We are already developing ways to replace parts of the brain with electronic devices and we will even have nano technology that will totaly alter the way we think about medical treatments because the body after all is just a complex machine.

But I think we will even eventualy develope a new technology that will end the need of a physical form and help us escape from this false reality.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

#1452888 - 04/12/03 03:26 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

You should read the link (I know, it's long...). This topic is discussed.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: EvilGir]
    #1452945 - 04/12/03 03:40 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I agree, the internet and computers are great tools for accessing information from all over the world, but technology isn't used in a postive way mostly. Look at T.V, it's amazing technology, but how do we use it? Every night millions of people hudle around this glowing box and plug themselves in to escape from their mundane lives. T.V has great potential but I think it's being used in the wrong way. I think we humans have set ourselves in a path of destruction. We have all this new great technology but what does the government use it for? To make bigger and better bombs. I think the internet might be the only exception to this though. A plce where vast amounts of informtaion is transefered could never be considered a bad thing.

--------------------

SIKE

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1452954 - 04/12/03 03:43 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

how about we take all the money for research of an extra 100 year lifetime and give it to the other million people who may not survive the current year. eh?

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: Grav]
    #1452981 - 04/12/03 03:52 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

No, that would be moral and right. We can't have that. You bring an interesting point up. If we forgete about evolving our technology and help other countries progress we could have so many more people working for the greater cause of humanity.

--------------------

SIKE

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: Cherk]
    #1453087 - 04/12/03 04:43 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

because the body after all is just a complex machine.

Nope, that's just a paradigm. The body is a body, you can't just equate it to something based on your cultural experience. This is our point of view because our medicine developed during the industrial age. The prevailing mentality of the time haunts us. Sure, our doctors have gone a long way, and they'll continue to make amazing improvements in their medicine, but there are obvious flaws. "Side effects" is what they call them. Anal leakage from a cough medicine? Fucked up.

"if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't work in health. It's all about prevention. We think that we can just get cancerous tumours and have them removed later. Lots of people have faith that it doesn't matter how much they abuse themselves now cause in 20 years there will be no such thing as unhealthiness. Well, as long as we look at health from that point of view we'll never achieve the longevity you look forward to.

I also believe that exposing yourself to artificial things all the time is very bad for our brains. If you live in a world of things made by mankind then you commit a kind of a cultural incest, the product of which is a fucked up human being. Cities are bad. Trees are good. I buy Edward Wilson's biophilia theories. Humans are happier if we are surrounded with the natural world, and unhappier when we sit inside self-referential tech-boxes.

I'm never gonna be a machine, that's for damn sure. When they start trying to insert chips in my hands, I'm going to declare myself feral and run into the woods where I will eat insects and roots.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
    #1453138 - 04/12/03 05:09 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

We think that we can just get cancerous tumours and have them removed later

But what if nano technology could be used and kept in the blood to activley seek out and remove these cancers just as they start. It is still probably along way of but the technology is still there. There wouldnt be any side affects as the removle would be accurate to an cell.

But this technology could also be used as some crazy weapons. Technology is not bad but man is.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1453158 - 04/12/03 05:21 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

yeah word up. I guess I'm just not holding my breath. We'll see, though...

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

#1453339 - 04/12/03 06:45 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

A large aspect of the speech was concerned with the wickedness of humanity, the reptilian consciousness that dominates our current world. It is scary to think what these power hungry types could do with certain information technologies. Control the consciousness of humanity and make us all "borgs." Actually, this is happening now! Television! Good thing I don't have a TV in my apartment... I prefer the channel in my own brain. And that seems to be a lot of what "homo-cyber" is all about. Become "cybers" and not "borgs." I too, however, hold great apprehension towards the melding of mind and machine- I like me the way I am!! This is all hypothetical, of course... What really intrigues me is the portion of the speech designated towards "guerilla tactics" for preserving and spreading the psychedelic mindset (more of a floral mind than a reptilian mind.) The Old Way is quickly dying; I only hope that they don't do something horrible in a final attempt at securing their grasp on domination (and kill us all in the process.)

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #1453421 - 04/12/03 07:14 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

This talk of technology reminds me of some things Terence McKenna has said in some of his talks. What if there is a Gaian Mind, the Mind of Nature, that is held to the principle of evolution, to adapt or die? The sun will not last forever, and when it goes Nature does too, and Nature knows this. Mankind develops out of Nature as a strategy to carry Nature to other parts of the cosmos, this is done over time through increased complexity and technology. We are driven ultimately by the Gaian Mind. Like in the evolution of any other life form we will either fail and vanish or succeed and perpetuate Nature onwards, possibly infinitely. Like McKenna said there is no almost in evolution, it's sink or swim. Now this may just be the biggest crock of shit ever, but maybe not. I find the theory appealing.  :smile: 

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #1453522 - 04/12/03 07:55 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I forgot to express my thanks to Alobar for the link. The article IS long but was interesting and enjoyable all the way through, thanks again.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1453795 - 04/12/03 10:03 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

I'm never gonna be a machine, that's for damn sure. When they start trying to insert chips in my hands, I'm going to declare myself feral and run into the woods where I will eat insects and roots.

I like what your sayin!

This was good articale, but it may be an attempt, of the matrix trying to keep you in the matrix!

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Re: Are YOU a psychedelic thinker? [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1454163 - 04/13/03 02:20 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

Perhaps I am the embodiment of the matrix... All I know is that it feels good to me.
I think that you already have played into this "matrix" theme by denying the fact that this evolution could assist you... By running in the woods you just might (and I'd like some more discussion on this point) be siding with the John Ashcroft way of thinking; imagine when "the govt." discovers this mode... As was stated in the speech, the opposition (the reptiles) will no dount try to suppress virtual reality (the next phase in human consciousness) in the manner that they suppress drugs. Only then, they will have to admit that they are trying to suppress modes of thinking and not drug intake.
I'm very stoned right now... Feeling tired. I'll say more on this tomorrow...
For Aislingheal, thanks for the thanks... I enjoyed the speech myself...

Edited by Alobar (04/13/03 02:26 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds