Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw
    #1452547 - 04/12/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Wheat straw as a substrate generally colonizes very quickly & gives off one flush of good sized shrooms. Generally, any following flushes are rather pitiful.

But, it is a great additive to any horse/cow manure mix, to bulk up da poo & give a poo substrate more aeration & paths for myc to colonize very quickly, along - in the substrate.

You can also beef up the nutrient levels in wheat straw & condition it via very simple & quick bio/degrading.

Simply soak wheat straw in a dung/water filled tub, for a week, or so. Adding a cup of compost starter ($3 @ most garden supply stores) to the tub, hastens the process along.

You can keep a tub like this going almost indefinitely. Whenever you remove some straw, just add more.

There is no secret recipe. A couple shovels full of manure, a cup of compost starter, some water, a tub, some straw, a heavy object to hold the straw under the water -- mix the water - dung - compost starter, add straw, submerge & you are cooking.

Suggest if possible this be done outside & without a lid. Just let nature take its course, for awhile.

Once bio/degraded a bit, simply drain & pasturize (as you would poo alone), pasturize some poo by itself & make around a 50/50 mix. Spawn with colonized grated cakes or WBS.

Hold back some straight poo to top off the mix with & give the top a little extra spawn frosting, to get the top to colonize very quiclky, as a protective cover for the mix underneath.

Once the top is fully colonized, give it a few more days, for the remainder to catch up. Then case with a pH adjusted casing mix, let the casing colonize to the degree you want & initiate pinning.

6T :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw [Re: SixTango]
    #1452561 - 04/12/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if i'm not mistaken a major advantage to this method is not having to chop/shred the straw correct? :wink:

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw [Re: debianlinux]
    #1452580 - 04/12/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

No need to chop/shed nada bit.

Once mixed, spawned & beginning to colonize it will look like this.

Once fruited out, you will get some big ass shrooms.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1452582 - 04/12/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hold back some straight poo to top off the mix with & give the top a little extra spawn frosting

Mmmm...dung frosting  :tongue:

What do you think about PC'ing some dry WBS and adding that, as well?

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1452595 - 04/12/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

PS, scale above is not some teeny tiny scale. Here is a single shroom that weighs in over 4 oz by itself. 6T..................... :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1452618 - 04/12/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

What do you think about PC'ing some dry WBS and adding that, as well? 

Dry seed would not work well.

If ya can find rapeseed (canola seed)? Soaking in water overnight, then PC'ing it, then adding that to the mix, will give it some very rich delayed release nutes.

Another good additive is to bring some pure vegatible oil to a boil on the stove, allow it to cool & add some to the dung/straw mix, just before you add the spawn.

Again, no secret recipe on adding veggy oil. Just add some, but NOT so much, the mix gets or looks greasy. Just mix it in.

6T  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

#1452635 - 04/12/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You almost made me fall out of my chair! Those mushrooms are freaking gigantic.

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw [Re: Oddish]
    #1452674 - 04/12/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

You almost made me fall out of my chair! Those mushrooms are freaking gigantic.

That oz'er is going to dry down to almost an 1/8th all by itself. Did you mention the strain? Are they teachers?

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1452915 - 04/12/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

EQ isolate  :wink:

Most strains will get BIG, under optimal colonization & grow conditions in a well spawned dung/straw or compost substrate around 4 or 5 inches deep, with a good pH adjusted casing mix cover.

6T :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
    #1453495 - 04/12/03 07:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I do believe this should go in the FAQs!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Excellent work! ...again! 

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
    #1454576 - 04/13/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry but I have to BUMP this back to the top. Dammit this allows you to have a constant supply of compost so easily!!!! It just sits outside in the rain, snow sleet sun whatever! AHHHHHH! I'm so excited to start my own tub or two!

Let me say again this is better than any other straw/dung prep in the FAQ, IMHO! Put it in! Put it in! Put it in!

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #1454583 - 04/13/03 11:15 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

How much of a difference does ph adjustment make, in general terms, of course? Beautiful fruits, BTW! Thanks, 6T.
-Che

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Edited by Che_Night_Soil (04/13/03 11:16 AM)

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw [Re: Che_Night_Soil]
    #1454584 - 04/13/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'll second the faq request  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulking up Da POO w/wheat straw [Re: Che_Night_Soil]
    #1454880 - 04/13/03 03:31 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

How much of a difference does ph adjustment make, in general terms, of course? Beautiful fruits, BTW! Thanks, 6T.
-Che

CLICK HERE FOR MY THOUGHTS ON PH

Simply said; most peeps who get a bulk substrate to colonize, then do not get an even pin set (assuming everything else is optimal) can blame it on their casing mix.

A poor casing mix, with a pH way outa whack is something myc will not colonize through. The result is SIDE pinning, instead of even surface pinning.

Think about it. Bake a great chocolate cake, then frost it with some nasty crap. It wrecks the whole thing, as no one will eat it & all your work went for nought. Same goes for a casing mix.

A ph test meter can be had at almost any garden supply mart for under $20. Everybody who adds an untested casing mix, is only hoping & wishing ... the pH is okay. The old story is...... wish in one hand & sh*t in the other, WE ALL KNOW.......... which gets full first.

My advice is get a pH tester. If it is a real cheap one, calibrate it against litmus strips... so you know it is in the ball park.

If ya have the bucks, get a KelWay. Stamets sells & recommends them. They can be found cheaper, at discount on/line stores (Yahoo).

6T

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale